Wharton1997

Beretta 92fs question

Oh wow -- I just came back today to see all of the responses. First, let me apologize to Vlad, I, by no means, thought you were being disrespectful to me and I hope that my email didn't come across as mean. That was the last thing I wanted to do. I was just looking for some help from anyone that may have experienced this before. I do appreciate all of the responses and totally agree with the fact that we should all be familiar with our weapons before using them. I thought I was until I shot it for the first time and had this happen. It was different from all of my other past experiences with other 92fs I have shot.

Thank you all for your helpful comments

Is everything good now? was it a matter of the saftey/decocker being off? Don't sweat it, the important part is that you were interested in what the problem was, and you sought answers. I don't believe in stupid questions, just stupid answers.

And for the record, the safety/decocker will not manipulate the slide.

I don't think anyone meant it, but without any kind of inflection on the internet it can be taken as condescending. Just saying why chase off a new member.

I have an M9 which is more or less the same as a 92fs and the only things I can think of being the problem is:

1. He is reloading with an open slide, closing it, and starts shooting. The hammer will be cocked.

2. He is reloading with closed chamber, safety off. After racking the slide and chambering round it cocks the hammer.

3. If he has the safety on and the hammer still stays cocked after slide comes forward (like shooter said) That would be a mechanical problem.

So are you engaging the safety after each reload Wharton?

Yes, it is better now. Between this response and others and I did speak to the store from which I purchased, as well as the manufacturer. It appears that there was something wrong with my friend's 92fs: with the safety off and you racked the slide, the hammer fell to DA mode for first shot (SA for subsequent).

I spoke to him and he did confirm this to me and after causing all of this mayhem here on the forum and all the phone calls I had to make. Anyway, this then made me think that there was something wrong with mine, when in fact, it is fine and operating as manufactured.

This is all still new to me. I've taken the in-person NRA training courses (they try to teach you everything) and I'm reading the books and watching the videos. But, it is really great to have a forum like this to be able to ask questions -- even if they are newbie questions. :-)

Again, thank you all for the help!

im sure M4 doesnt meant the safety will manipulate the slide. he probably mis-typed or had a brain fart

as far as berettas, ive had my 92 probably longer then a few people on this forum have been alive. wharton, we need more information as to how you are shooting. describe in detail exactly what you are doing when you shoot. how you load, how you take the first shot, what happens when you do use the safety with a cocked hammer, etc.

if you want, we can meet at either a central location or even a range and go over the gun

Yes, it is better now. Between this response and others and I did speak to the store from which I purchased, as well as the manufacturer. It appears that there was something wrong with my friend's 92fs: with the safety off and you racked the slide, the hammer fell to DA mode for first shot (SA for subsequent).

I spoke to him and he did confirm this to me and after causing all of this mayhem here on the forum and all the phone calls I had to make. Anyway, this then made me think that there was something wrong with mine, when in fact, it is fine and operating as manufactured.

This is all still new to me. I've taken the in-person NRA training courses (they try to teach you everything) and I'm reading the books and watching the videos. But, it is really great to have a forum like this to be able to ask questions -- even if they are newbie questions. :-)

Again, thank you all for the help!

Don't worry about it, its only some back and forth banter on the internet ( at least for me) No harm done from anyone. I'm glad you got your answer and maybe an answer for your friend. It's a great gun, have fun with it.

No, the safety/decocker won't move the slide at all.

Here is what mine will do though................... No mag in the gun, safety/decocker ON, if I slowly move the slide back and don't let it go 100% forwards, the hammer will remain back and I can pull the trigger and fire the gun. Now, it isn't 100% in battery and IF there was a bullet in the chamber I don't know IF it would actually strike and fire it.

Since I am sitting here in my house I won't be trying it with ammo either................

So, now sure if I helped at all or not, maybe just added to the confusion. I would actually have to go to the range to see what it would actually do, but I don't think I want to take the chance. I know how the gun should work.

PS: I have maybe 200 rounds through this gun so far, it still looks 100% brand new, just sits in the safe. I am a 6-shooter kinda guy. :)

No, the safety/decocker won't move the slide at all.

Here is what mine will do though................... No mag in the gun, safety/decocker ON, if I slowly move the slide back and don't let it go 100% forwards, the hammer will remain back and I can pull the trigger and fire the gun. Now, it isn't 100% in battery and IF there was a bullet in the chamber I don't know IF it would actually strike and fire it.

Since I am sitting here in my house I won't be trying it with ammo either................

So, now sure if I helped at all or not, maybe just added to the confusion. I would actually have to go to the range to see what it would actually do, but I don't think I want to take the chance. I know how the gun should work.

PS: I have maybe 200 rounds through this gun so far, it still looks 100% brand new, just sits in the safe. I am a 6-shooter kinda guy. :)

I see what you're saying now. If the safety/decocker is on and you slowly drop the slide, what happens is the safety gets hung up on the sear and sits there instead of disengaging it. In this state, since the safety is on, the firing pin block has rotated out of line which will not allow the hammer to contact the firing pin, so while you pull the trigger and the hammer falls, it will not actually fire. That is the purpose of the safety. Also, if you lightly nudge the back of the slide it will drop the hammer and fully close. Although I am confident of this, I agree that I would not try that with ammo in your house.

My model does the same thing, it will not go full battery with the saftey on and racking the slide like a woman. Rack it like a man!!! You dont even have to touch the slide to get it 100% in battery, a small jerk and it drops in place. I think it just needs to wear in a little more.