jrzrob

Need info on NJ resident buying long guns out of state

Hi guys, i was trying to find some info online based on what a friend at work just mentioned to me. He's telling me that I can't even buy a shotgun or rifle in PA wihout it it being transfer to an FFL in NJ. Is this true, because I'm not aware of any change in the law. As far as I know that only applied to pistols.

Thanks for your help

The only time you can do FTF with any gun is with another NJ resident.

If you want to buy a long gun, you can buy a long guy through an FFL in PA or in NJ or any other state for that matter. If you are buying from an individual it must be transferred through an FFL of any state.

If you are buying a pistol, it must be transferred through an NJ FFL.

Hope this helps

You can't do a face-to-face purchase/sale out of state. That goes for handguns and long guns. You may purchase a long gun from an out of state dealer. You amy not buy a handgun directly from an out-of-state dealer. They must ship to an in-state FFL.

Thanks and I am aware and understand both replies.

Basically, a co-worker is telling me I cannot go to Cabelas in PA, buy a shotgun and bring it home in my vehicle. As far as I knew this is not true. He says it just changed recently, but of course this was heard from his so called "reliable source" and this is the type of thing that starts rumors and confusion.

Need to add - as long as the shotgun is NJ legal

Also to add, some states do have Continuous State restrictions for out of state buyers, so while PA through a FFL is cool with a NJ resident some other states may not. You have to just check the rules of the state you you want to buy in. Note it would be the other states rules and not NJ's at least no restrictions that I am aware of and if I'm wrong it will be pointed out quickly..

Harry - Spelling nazi here. The word you were looking for was contiguous not continuous. Contiguous states are those sharing a border.

Thank you Bob, I would expect nothing less... :icon_mrgreen:

See you at Shongum next month if you go, Took a vacation day so I can check out USPSA there. Will also be one of the Mike's helpers on the 31st for the class.

See you at Shongum next month if you go, Took a vacation day so I can check out USPSA there. Will also be one of the Mike's helpers on the 31st for the class

I'll be there, providing the weather cooperates. I'm a fair weather shooter - gambled and won (on the weather at least) last week.

I'm not doubting that you legally can't do a FTF transfer out of state if you're an NJ resident, but can anyone imagine a situation where this could be an issue?

Say you drive out to PA, meet a guy and buy a long gun from him. You drive back to NJ and get pulled over, somehow your vehicle gets searched and the LE finds your unloaded long gun in the trunk. You produce your NJ FID. Should be end of story as far as the long gun, right? Under what circumstances would you need to produce documentation that any long gun in your possession was purchased from an FFL or FTF with an NJ resident?

Again I'm not denying the law I'm just not sure how it could be enforced effectively.

... Under what circumstances would you need to produce documentation that any long gun in your possession was purchased from an FFL or FTF with an NJ resident?...

Hypothetically, assume you successfully commit your crime of receiving a firearm from a non-FFL in PA and bring it back to NJ. Then at a later date your home is burgled and that firearm is stolen.

Do you report it as stolen? What happens when the chain of ownership of that firearm is traced?

If you don't report it as stolen, and that firearm is then used in a crime, where does the trail lead? What is your seller in PA going to say when the investigation winds its way down to him?

Hypothetically, assume you successfully commit your crime of receiving a firearm from a non-FFL in PA and bring it back to NJ. Then at a later date your home is burgled and that firearm is stolen.

Do you report it as stolen? What happens when the chain of ownership of that firearm is traced?

If you don't report it as stolen, and that firearm is then used in a crime, where does the trail lead? What is your seller in PA going to say when the investigation winds its way down to him?

Don't even have to go through all that, publicly looking to see if on a public forum, the forum members would condone an illegal sale of a firearm it ridiculous.

To answer that, I doubt he will find anyone who would support him committing a crime on the federal level.

Areacode201 (not the O.P.) asked "Under what circumstances would you need to produce documentation that any long gun in your possession was purchased from an FFL or FTF with an NJ resident?" and I answered with a circumstance that came to mind. I don't see that as looking for support to commit a crime.

Areacode201 (not the O.P.) asked "Under what circumstances would you need to produce documentation that any long gun in your possession was purchased from an FFL or FTF with an NJ resident?" and I answered with a circumstance that came to mind. I don't see that as looking for support to commit a crime.

Sorry, I had the post # 14 still in the back on my mind..

JUST curious.. what shotgun does Cabellas in PA have that a NJ dealer can not get at a similar price?

there are so few good NJ gun dealers left that if I had the opportunity to spend money with a NJ dealer I would do so..

Vlad, I was just talking to my co-worker about my visit to Cabelas on Sunday, and that I was thinking about grabbing a Mossberg Home & Field combo they had on sale that day. That's when this topic came up.

I also agree with doing business here, I always try to support local.

I'm not doubting that you legally can't do a FTF transfer out of state if you're an NJ resident, but can anyone imagine a situation where this could be an issue?

Say you drive out to PA, meet a guy and buy a long gun from him. You drive back to NJ and get pulled over, somehow your vehicle gets searched and the LE finds your unloaded long gun in the trunk. You produce your NJ FID. Should be end of story as far as the long gun, right? Under what circumstances would you need to produce documentation that any long gun in your possession was purchased from an FFL or FTF with an NJ resident?

Again I'm not denying the law I'm just not sure how it could be enforced effectively.

First understand that buying a firearm FTF from a resident of another state is a federal violation.

The ATF on occasion has been known to go to gun shows undercover and check to see if these transactions are going on and bust people for doing them if they detect it. I think their primary focus is on handguns, which reduces their concern in our neighboring states of PA and NY where handgun FTF sales are illegal, even among same state residents. Many other states allow FTF handgun sales (amazingly including NJ).

As far as buying from someone you know, the odds of getting caught are slim, but if something ever does happen and the ATF wants to trace the gun back to where it came from, you're going to have a problem.

Thanks and I am aware and understand both replies.

Basically, a co-worker is telling me I cannot go to Cabelas in PA, buy a shotgun and bring it home in my vehicle. As far as I knew this is not true. He says it just changed recently, but of course this was heard from his so called "reliable source" and this is the type of thing that starts rumors and confusion.

His source is wrong. the ONLY thing is that the firearm MUST be legal in your state of Residence..so you can't buy say a non-Compliant AR or a Pistol-gripped Semi-Auto shotgun in Pa, unless it had already been made NJ compliant

His source is wrong. the ONLY thing is that the firearm MUST be legal in your state of Residence..so you can't buy say a non-Compliant AR or a Pistol-gripped Semi-Auto shotgun in Pa, unless it had already been made NJ compliant

I will get clarification on this next week. But I believe that the SALE must comply with both states, not the FIREARM. IMO, a NJ resident may not bring non-compliant firearms into this state, but may own them in another.

I went to Cabelas about 5 yrs ago to TEST this very thing. I went there also to SELL to them, my NJ gunstore bought bare bones Ruger 10/22.

I pulled from the rack a AK47 with side folder stock. Told them I was a NJ Res, showed them my "FID card". They weren't really sure on whether I could buy unless they ran me thru the nics etc. But I really didn't see anything stopping me, UNLESS I brought it into NJ in my car. However, if I had another house in PA, buying the AK w my NJ "FID" card and keeping it only in PA, I would be 1000% legal.

So then, I went back to the floor gun racks just to LOOK at the AK again, and BANG, it was gone and SOLD. Not 10 minutes had elapsed.

Even though I WASN'T going to and couldn't buy the good condition side folder AK, for $450!!. I was STILL pissed that such free choices alone, existed in Most of the Rest of the ENTIRE COUNTRY. I went and bought 2 Saigas, one in 7.62x39 (now converted legally and 922r compliant) and another one in .308 from a highly recognised NJ gunstore in Vineland, NJ. Keep in mind, im not 'into' these Saigas or AK's at all, but it pissed me off enough, that I went for it at the Vineland, NJ gunstore and dropped $1100, just on the 2

long guns alone.

Thanks NJ.

I also have the same question, I want to go to PA to a gun show and buy long guns and as long as they have an ffl and do a NICS check ill be okay ?

I understand also that they have to be nj legal, and i cant buy from a private seller. But what about handguns, If i buy them in PA and send it to my local gunstore, do I have to present my handgun buyers permit as soon as i pick it up ?

Thanks in advance ... ( i have a headache now )

I understand also that they have to be nj legal, and i cant buy from a private seller. But what about handguns, If i buy them in PA and send it to my local gunstore, do I have to present my handgun buyers permit as soon as i pick it up ?

A handgun shipped to a NJ FLL for you to take it home, yes you will need a P2P..

I'm sure this was already covered, but to lazy to read. All the guns I have bought have been in PA except two. One was from NJ and one from WV. All the buys have been easy no problem. I did notice that the buy in NJ I had to pay 15.00 for a back ground check, not in PA or WV, or at least it wasn't on the bill. Might have been worked in to the price of the gun. I also noticed that out of state sellers have no clue on what is NJ legal, they will sell you anything in reason. It's up to you to know what is NJ legal.

This :

2. Long gun purchases by

....A. NJ resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a FPID, COE with Photo ID suggested

........(3) Out-of-state dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

........(4) Out-of-state resident = must be transferred through

............a. NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID or

............b. Out-of-state dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

....B. Non-resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

........(2) NJ resident = must be transferred through

............a. NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID or

............b. Out-of-state dealer = consult buyer's home state laws

Is from this incredibly handy sticky thread here :

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/29389-nj-law-summary-read-first-nj-gun-law-faqs/

I check it often , it is well formatted , easy to understand and find stuff :)