gxr66

FIRST HANDGUN?

As I await my firearms permit I have been researching what my first firearm purchase is going to be. I know I want a handgun to start, as my desire is for protection and defense for my spouse and me.

I have 2 types narrowed down between a revolver and a semi-automatic.

REVOLVER

Smith & Wesson

686 Plus line (.357)

SEMI-AUTOMATIC

Beretta

92 Series (9mm)

What does anyone think?

You can't go wrong with either. They are both very nice pistols, although obvioulsy, markedly different.

Me, I would go with the S&W as I don't personally like the Beretta. I think they're unattractive and I had one when I was in the military and it just didn't do it for me. I've not fired the Smith, however it feels really nice in the hand. Good luck.

C

Good choices .. I would recommend going down to a range like Sure Shot in Lakewood. They rent guns and try em both out you might like one more than other or find something you like even better. Good luck and welcome to the shooting community.

I think it's almost useless to ask on an internet forum what handgun is good for YOU. I'm not trying to beat you up here, you've chosen reputable manufacturers and reputable models within those manufacturers. Beyond that, it's really personal choice. Had you come on here asking about Davis or Jennings or Bryco or Jiminez or other low end manufacturers, then you would (possibly) get an earful about cheap non-reliable guns...

So, my recommendation is to go to one of the indoor ranges in NJ that rents firearms (two of which are vendors on this forum) and actually try out the firearms you are contemplating (or very close facsimiles as I doubt anyone has a 686 plus with the 7 shot cylinder).

Or, put out an "all call" to shoot others firearms. Most of the guys (and gals) here will let you shoot their guns at a meetup just so someone else can enjoy the sport and make an informed decision.

• Like 1

The 9mm will offer you much more practice for your money. Not to mention in a HD scenario has more then double the capicity.

This +1

For a new shooter the initial availability of 15+1 rounds would compensate for lack of experience and or aim, plus when you run out in a revolver twice as fast, its a lot harder for reload (even with a speedloader for novices) I would start your way into the firearm world with the beretta..get comfortable and expand your collection to incorporate a revolver later on down the line. just my opinion (dont hate on me wheel heads!)

You cannot go wrong with a Beretta 92.

IMHO, if you want to buy a gun, but you see yourself shooting maybe once or twice a year, get the revolver. The Beretta 92 is like my wife - she's my constant companion, and my go-to-gun. But that means I have the muscle memory to flick off the safety. If you don't think you will practice that much, you may run into some trouble if you try to use the 92 and you've left the safety on.

But you can't go wrong with either gun.

Now that I think of it, if the Beretta 92 is my wife, the PX4 is sort of like my younger mistress and my 1911 is that high school sweetheart I never let go...

• Like 1

You cannot go wrong with a Beretta 92.

IMHO, if you want to buy a gun, but you see yourself shooting maybe once or twice a year, get the revolver. The Beretta 92 is like my wife - she's my constant companion, and my go-to-gun. But that means I have the muscle memory to flick off the safety. If you don't think you will practice that much, you may run into some trouble if you try to use the 92 and you've left the safety on.

But you can't go wrong with either gun.

Now that I think of it, if the Beretta 92 is my wife, the PX4 is sort of like my younger mistress and my 1911 is that high school sweetheart I never let go...

+1 for your comparative analysis of guns to broads... I lol'd

Average encounter is 7 feet and 2.5 rounds.

At 3AM, when something goes bump in the night....do you want a slide to jam? Have to drop a mag and clear it?

I'd think that for in-home protection, my weapon of choice would be a .357 revolver. Pick it up and pull the trigger. If it doesn't go bang, pull the trigger again. It's a much harder hitter than 9mm and less for you to do than with an auto-loader. Even in an extremely reliable pistol, you run the unlikely risk of bad ammo FTE during an encounter. Revolver has no ejection. You just pull the trigger again for the next round.

This isn't to say the Beretta isn't great. But if you're only going to have ONE and its purpose in HD...I'd lean towards the wheel.

For a new shooter I think a semi is a better option for HD purpose. If you are going for a Beretta 92/m9, I think a 92G will be a better option for someone new. You can dec0ck it to put it in a safe state but will never put you in the situation where the safety is accidentally left on when you need to fire off rounds.

yea but for a new shooter in a dark HD scenario how many of those 6 shots do you think he'll make count to a good vital area?

I'm by no means advocating spray and pray, but I'll take 15 rounds over 6 just in case. Good auto's like 92's rarely jam if taken care of.

Revolvers aren't really more reliable than semis. There are a lot of intricate parts in it for timing everything. Not to mention the locks on the new ones. They can totally freeze up too and when they do, good luck on clearing them! I've had one that stopped working and had to go back to the factory. They are especially bad when the environment gets bad, but that's not really an issue with home defense.

All guns can malfunction, it's important to shoot enough with the HD/carry round to make sure it runs reliably. For semis, you can tap/rack/bang and it seldomly locks up totally. Get one with second strike capability(92/m9 has it) and you should be good to go. For revolvers, get one without a lock on it.

The argument between a 357 revolver and a 9mm semi auto can be made all day and every day.

The simple arguments for the revolver are as follows:

gut shots, no possibility of out of battery...

357 allows you the ability to shoot much cheaper and less recoiling 38 special loads while still maintaining the awesome ft lbs and velocity of 357

Revolver = KISS, point, pull, bang, no safety, no racking the slide, virtually no thinking, availability of both double and single action...

So, as you can see, both of what you have chosen have positives. 38 special is not as cheap as 9mm but it's not expensive by any stretch.

Shoot as many guns as you can before you choose.

Both guns are great but you should have at least a few down range with each to understand what you're getting into. A .357 has hellacious muzzle flash, loud report and significant recoil, blinding and deafening everyone in a low light situation. You will definitely get more practice with the 9mm Beretta. I think you should look at the M&P in 9mm as well.

Both are awesome choices.

The revolver might be a good bet if you don't intend to practice too much but it is limited in capacity. I would suggest one with a 3 or preferably a 4" barrel. The Ruger GP100 might be a very acceptable and cheaper alternative to the 686. I would get some really cool, defensive rounds for it in .38 +P.

However, especially if you are committed to practicing, I'd go for the Beretta 92 if it fits both you and your wife's hand comfortably, or another high capacity 9mm. The Beretta has a large grip, and you can still get plenty of 15-round magazines if you look around, and there are plenty of aftermarket grips, holsters, etc. for it. I would also consider the 92A1/M9A1, instead. That way, if you get the appropriate model with a removable front sight, you can put night sights on it (big plus), and/or a flashlight/laser/etc. at a later point and time (The standard 92FS has a fixed front sight). An alternative with the same type of action might for someone with smaller hands might be either the PX4 (polymer) or the Stoeger (Beretta Cougar) 8000. Another alternative might be a CZ-P01, or even the CZ 75BD, or another CZ flavor, but I would stick with a decocking model for safety.

By the way, if your financial budget allows, get three permits. Get your semi-auto for defense and some kind of .22LR for cheaper practice. And, if you want, get a revolver. If I went that route, I might get a smaller revolver that could be concealed (for versatility). A Ruger SP101 or S&W equivalent might be nice. You could also get a .22LR revolver, and I would strongly look at a Taurus 992 with the .22LR and .22WMR cylinder.

Top of the line...

Beretta 92A1

Ruger Mark III Hunter or S&W 617

S&W 686

Budget:

Stoeger Cougar 8000

Ruger SR-22

Taurus 66 or 85

Also, don't discount buying a quality used gun. If it isn't for you, you can trade it in without losing too much money on the deal, and if you buy used from a private seller, you will save some money for ammo... Maybe get one for your wife and one for you.

I would also consider getting a short-barrelled Mossberg or Remington shotgun in 12 or 20 gauge since you will have your firearms ID card.

Shoot as many guns as you can before you choose.

Both guns are great but you should have at least a few down range with each to understand what you're getting into. A .357 has hellacious muzzle flash, loud report and significant recoil, blinding and deafening everyone in a low light situation. You will definitely get more practice with the 9mm Beretta. I think you should look at the M&P in 9mm as well.

But the beauty is you can shoot .38s out of a .357 and the extra weight of the .357 helps the recoil a bit. .38 defensive rounds are not too shabby. A 4" or longer barrel will aid with the muzzle flash.

I've got both. A 92FS, a 96FS, a 686 with 6" barrel, a 686 with 8 3/8" barrel. The revolvers are my favorites though.

You can shoot .38 Wad Cutters which are cheap and easy to shoot, a little more kick than a .22, nothing like the 9mm. Then shoot .38 Specials, nice bang, similar to the 9mm, then go for the gusto with .357 Magnums!

I'm partial to revolvers, but I suggest getting a Ruger .22. They are reliable, not expensive, the .22 cal is an inexpensive shot so plinking away without spending a lot of cash. My personal favorite is my Rossi .38 sp revolver, but thinking about getting a S&W. Don't limit yourself to one or two handguns. Go to a range and see if you can 'try before you buy'.

WOW!! Obviously a wealth of information and opinion from everyone. Thanks for replying to my initial question. You all make some very thought provoking points to consider.

My research…

A firearm IS a very “individual” thing. So I concur that it would be a good idea to try and fire as many different types as possible. I will try to get to Shore Shot to rent and experience. But if not I understand that GunForHire offers the ability to fire different types when taking their First Steps Pistol course (which I’m taking).

My preliminary reading and research lead me to question the two choices between the S&W and the Beretta (because I know me-what I think I can handle-what I think I'd like). I also wanted to offer myself the choice between a wheel and a semi, and like I said you have all made points regarding both that I hadn’t thought about. So now I have more to think about LOL.

So what am I going to get? Jury is still out….

Later mates!

Get the one both you AND YOUR SPOUSE are most comfortable shooting. You might not be the one home for the "home defense" part.

Also, whatever you get, get the equivalent action in .22 for practice (i.e. 686 P & 617, or 92FS & Neos).

Good luck, have fun, don't think too hard.