this_is_nascar

Doomsday Bunkers @ 10pm Tonight on Discovery

Just as dumb as the other prepper show, "I fear a tsunami, so I built a shelter 600 miles away from where I live" :wacko:

What if everyone else tries to get out of dodge and it takes you three times as long to get to your bug out site. Also his generater was already stolen from his sheler ummm someone else knows, it ain't a secret no more.

This show is an embarassment to the gun community. These shows just continue to make us all look retarded.

The owners son is a total douche. And just adds to the douchery of the show.

The way he enclosed the generator is idiotic. The blocks weren't even filled solid or have rebar in them so anyone can dig them up and rip them out.

An airsoft gun as a deterrent are you serious? :facepalm:

Every time they showed those bilco style doors to go down into the bunker I slapped my forehead. A bright white door, yeah that won't stick out badly.

Then the camera setup that he put up with a 5 ft ladder. Yeah those won't be hard to take out.

At least now I can go to bed at 10pm after watching the circus I mean sons of guns.

The only highlight to the show was the constant banter back and forth between myself and my friend via text message as we expressed the same thoughts over and over again.

450K - are you kidding me? Yeah, I could have done a poured concrete structure that would be much more solid for MUCH less.

I thought it was an interesting show. Every network is capitalizing on the the upcoming 12-21-12. I dont know if I will watch it again but I dont think now is any different from the 50's and 60's when people were putting fallout shelters in their backyards. I agree if I am doing it I might build my basement into a fallout shelter or have it close enough I can get to it really fast.

As I was watching the bunker get built, I kept thinking "Wouldn't it be easier/cheaper using shipping containers?". That's basically what the bunker structure looked like.

Because a shipping container isnt a bunker! :) Thats a specially made "bunker"

As I was watching the bunker get built, I kept thinking "Wouldn't it be easier/cheaper using shipping containers?". That's basically what the bunker structure looked like.

Aaaaand cue quote from text message sent to buddy last night... LOL. I could have had a shi-ton of containers for 450k.

I just saw a few minutes of the show. The guy getting the expensive bunker seemed shrewd (I thought it was $485K?). He gets on TV to advertise his training programs in North Dakota or some out of the way place like that. He is also using the bunker as part of the training program, so it becomes a tax deductible business expense. Free advertising and a half million dollar backup home that your business pays for -- not bad.

Other than that, the show is not worth watching.

The guy in Florida with the shelter that is hundreds of miles away -- yes, you will get washed away sitting in traffic on I-95 if the tsunami hits hard.

I am old enough to remember as a kid growing up in the '60's that we used to talk about one or two people in our neighborhood had bomb shelters. Those were a result of fear, just like some of these shelters.

Underground bunkers are so last season. The new fad is to go into orbit. Why dig yourself underground when you can safely watch the Earth's destruction from above?

Just make sure you stock up on popcorn.

My take on the show. The stolen gen was likely a BS story so they could highlight the airsoft robot toy.

100% - they never showed the actual pit it was in - the owner guy just kicked a few blocks lying around.

Also, while most of us wouldn't be able to figure out where these bunkers are being installed, I am sure the local people would recognise the location right away. So much for "secrecy" :)

You wanna strong bunker? Go talk to Iran:

http://www.economist.com/node/21548918

...Leon Panetta, America’s defence secretary, seems worried. He recently admitted that his own country’s new bunker-busting bomb, the Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP, pictured above being dropped from a B-52), needs an upgrade to take on the deepest Iranian bunkers. But even that may not be enough, thanks to Iran’s mastery of smart concrete.

UHPC is based—like its quotidian cousins—on sand and cement. In addition, though, it is doped with powdered quartz (the pure stuff, rather than the tainted variety that makes up most sand) and various reinforcing metals and fibres.

UHPC can withstand more compression than other forms of concrete. Ductal, a French version of the material which is commercially available, can withstand pressure many times higher than normal concrete can. UHPC is also more flexible and durable than conventional concrete. It can therefore be used to make lighter and more slender structures.

For this reason, Iranian civil engineers are interested in using it in structures as diverse as dams and sewage pipes and are working on improving it. Mahmoud Nili of Bu-Ali Sina University in Hamadan for example, is using polypropylene fibres and quartz flour, known as fume, in his mix. It has the flexibility to absorb far heavier blows than regular concrete. Rouhollah Alizadeh may do better still. Dr Alizadeh, a graduate of the University of Tehran, is currently working at Ottawa University in Canada on the molecular structure of cement. Once again, this research is for civilian purposes and could pave the way for a new generation of UHPC with precisely engineered properties and outstanding performance.

One way to tamper with the internal structure of concrete is to use nanoparticles. Ali Nazari and his colleagues at Islamic Azad University in Saveh have published several papers on how to do that with different types of metal-oxide nanoparticles. They have worked with oxides of iron, aluminium, zirconium, titanium and copper. At the nanoscale materials can take on extraordinary properties. Although it has been demonstrated only in small samples, it might be possible, using such nanoparticles, to produce concrete that is four times stronger than Ductal. ...

As with most bunkers it's weakest point is the air venting system, block or gas/smoke will make the occupants exit the bunker.

It's best defense is its camouflage in the surrounding area staying undetected .

I was thinking the same thing. All someone has to do is find the air intake and I can guarantee that with a few gallons of bleach He can get them to open that blast door.

Regarding the ventilation system, aren't they hooked up to NBC (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical) air filtration systems. So wouldn't bleach or smoke not really do much , especially if they are rated for Nuclear, Biological, Chemical issues?

Regarding the ventilation system, aren't they hooked up to NBC (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical) air filtration systems. So wouldn't bleach or smoke not really do much , especially if they are rated for Nuclear, Biological, Chemical issues?

After they run through an infiltration gallery (constructed hydrogeologic recharge basin). Anything you pour down there is not going inside. Blocking them off would work. Eventually. If you found them all.

I don't think anybody ever said you are supposed to hide in a family bunker for six months while hundreds of people gather and plan and prepare and build equipment to get you. That's not what a family bunker is for. Just because it should be tamper resistant doesn't mean you should hole up in there against deliberate attack by determined onsite humans.

As for the door being tough, those super-special SWAT demolition expert people used 3 pounds of Tannerite. They probably bought it at Cabelas for $30 on the way to the show. It has a low brisance. Great for reactive range targets, OK for moving earth, shitty for cutting thick steel. Especially in quantities that small.

Concrete - well, most family "bunkers" focus on the principles of nuclear blast shelters. For small ones, concrete is not the best medicine. Something that flexes, such as steel, is usually better. Even wood can be better than reinforced poured concrete if the shelter is near the surface and suffers a large overpressure and ground shock.