deni

Do I need a revolver?

66 members have voted

1. 1. Do i need a revolver?

Ok gang, I have 2 permits to use before May.

I've decided one will be for a cz sp01, however, since they seem to be scarce at the moment, I will save this purchase for the 2nd permit.(hopefully stock has replenished by then)

Now the problem is I'm not sure what to use the 1st permit on.

Currently, I own the FNP & FNS in 9mm.

So all I have is plastic.

The sp01 will satisfy the full size criteria and it's metal.

Thus comes the question: do I need a revolver?

Because I only have semi auto

because I only have 9mm

Because none as easily concealed

Is there a need to expand?

Or do I look at a 22(meh, maybe not)

Or step up caliber to 45(1911 or fnp45)

Or is wheel gun the next logical step?

Halp

I was shopping around for a CZ 75 sp01 tactical , because my husband has one and it is awesome. I have limited experience , but something about the way it shoots and feels is just nice.

That said , they are n/a with no estimated date.

I say get the revolver now , then you will have a 9mm and a revolver. I love my revolver ( SW Model 60 Pro .357 ) . You can shoot .38s out of it at the range to be economical , and use .357s at home for HD.

Then try and get on the wait list for a CZ. Have someone order it for you ( my husband got his from Arms and Ammo and he had a great experience)..by the time it comes in I'm sure another 30 days will have passed and you'll be clear to add it to your collection. IMO it is worth waiting for . I got the SW MP40 Pro series ( I pick it up March 30) ..but my next batch of permits will see at least one used on an all metal CZ .

That is how I would play it at least :)

Everyone needs a .357mag or above revolver. May even be the best choice for HD handgun. When the trigger is pulled, they always go bang regardless of skill or the situation.

After starting USPSA recently, I've seen my fair share of SA pistol/operator failures across various brands and styles. Even with the perfect SA pistol, there is a level of skill involved in using them reliably , especially in a high stress situation.

Look for a S&W 625. This is a .45 cal revolver that uses .45 ACP with moon clips. Gives you a larger caliber to try, pleasant to shoot, and pretty easy to find. Also good for a lot of gun games.

A S&W 686 is a good choice also, can shoot whimpy .38 Wad Cutters all the way up to .357 Magnums. Very easy gun to find.

I just got a S&W 617 which is a 10-shot .22LR. Almost no recoil at all, makes more smoke than anything else. :)

Everybody needs at least one revolver. Nuff said.

i agree 1000% my second permit ever was used on a snubby 38/357mag, but i will go further and say plan on getting 2, one snubby and one in the 4" to 6" variety. they shoot very differently from each other... im getting a 6" at the moment... another thing people bad mouth taurus sometimes, my taurus 617 is solid, great trigger, no problems and a steal price wise!

Get a Big bore revolver. I have a S&W Model 25-2. It uses moonclips and shooting 45ACP from a big N frame feels like shooting 38 wadcutters from a 357. Dead accurate too.

You ready to sell it yet Chris :p

And I agree get a nice Smith and Wesson either 686, 625, 60, or something along those lines and you won't be disappointed.

Just was talking to my husband..we have all the guns you are mulling over .. I have a 1911 Colt .45 and a revolver - SW Model 60 .357 , and my husband has the CZ 75 Sp01 ( tactical ) a S&W 686 .357 revolver with a 6 inch barrel. If you can make your way down to Belleville you are more than welcome to do a try before buy :)

Everyone needs a 4" 357 revolver, a handgun you can do just about anything with. There is a wide power range of ammo available from 38 wadcutters to full magnums. No other revolver affords you all these options, availability, and reasonable cost. If you learn to shoot a DA revolver well everything else is easy. Take your pick of Ruger, S&W, or Taurus. I have at least one of each. I like stainless as the most durable. Colts are okay but none are new and there is no factory service.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations and offers.

You are a convincing bunch.

I will be taking a look at those suggested and hopefully get some pricing.

Was only looking to spend ±$550

I see a lot of S&W going 600+

I'll make my rounds between bullseye tactical and njfg

Everyone's pointing towards Smith but would Taurus be a bad choice if I end up choosing the more "economical" route?

Does the Smith feel and shoot that much better to warrant the price difference?

Lots of questions

Will any 357 shoot 38sp and vice versa?

I do think that I'll start with a 357 but the 45 is appealing too. Ugh

Thanks again

With 45 you'll have to mess with moon clips. You can get the plastic ones where you do need a tool to insert and extract the shells from it. If you get it in 357 you can shoot anything from 38 wadcutters to full house 357. Yes, any 357 revolvers can shoot 38sp. Not the other way around.

You didn't mention Ruger, if you are planning on shooting a lot of full house 357s, a GP100 is the better way to go in my opion. Smith might have slightly better finish and slightly better stock trigger.

That's a nice gun. I have the regular stainless 3" GP100 and the latest rugers come with really nice triggers from the factory. The rubber wood insert grips are very comfortable. I have S&W revolvers as well but for some reason I have this thing for Ruger revolvers :) In 357 they are much stronger than anything from Smith/Colt/Taurus.

Everyone needs a 4" 357 revolver, a handgun you can do just about anything with. There is a wide power range of ammo available from 38 wadcutters to full magnums. No other revolver affords you all these options, availability, and reasonable cost. If you learn to shoot a DA revolver well everything else is easy. Take your pick of Ruger, S&W, or Taurus. I have at least one of each. I like stainless as the most durable. Colts are okay but none are new and there is no factory service.

What he said. I've got the GP100 ss and its a hefty, handsome hunk of metal, just look how thick the top strap is compared to others. And for me 45 & revolvers dont do it with the clips, kinda defeats the purpose of the wheelys- simplicity of use.

I second the GP100, but a nice 22LR will also go a long way, too. It is more expensive to shoot either .38s or/and especially .357s than your 9mm. I'd consider a S&W 317 or a Taurus 992. The Taurus is quite versatile with the .22LR and .22WMR. You will probably need both, eventually, so I would really see what is available.

S&W should do what Ruger and Charter Arms did and make something that shoot semi auto cartridge without use of moon clips. Reloading is much faster with full moon clips in tactical situations but for most of us who uses a big revolver like the 625/325 only at ranges the other option is more practical in my opinion.

S&W should do what Ruger and Charter Arms did and make something that shoot semi auto cartridge without use of moon clips.

S&W did (model 547) - it was a patent inftingement lawsuit (S&W suing CA) that held up the intro of CA's "clipless" offerings.

And regarding .45 AR - you can buy the Casper Milquetoast (there's a reference that dates me - google it) factory, RN lead bullet loads, or Black Hills makes some super .45 AR using cast lead 250 gr SWC. The polymer moonclips are the easiest solution, unless you intend to compete.

Adios,

Pizza Bob