deni

Do I need a revolver?

66 members have voted

1. 1. Do i need a revolver?

I think everyone should own a wheel gun at some point. Just something sexy about them. I am as big a fanboy of a high cap race gun... but over the past 6 months... aquired a number of wheel guns.

Colt King Cobra 357/38 (LNIB)

Colt Trooper Mark III 357/38 (LNIB)

Smith Wesson 686-5 5" 357/38

Smith Wesson 57 8" .41 Magnum

Taurus 94 22lr 9 shot

I bought, then sold a Smith Wesson 625 JM in 45 ACP, but sold it for some reason, so now looking at picking one up again,

along with

Smith Wesson 610 10mm/40 S&W

Smith Wesson 500 (just because)

Colt Python (if I can find one in good condition at a reasonable price)

some sort of a 44 mag

Pizza Bob,

I did not know about the 547. Was it before or after the Speed Six 9mm?

As for 45AR, yes there might be commercially availabe ammo still, but in my opinion most people who go for the 45ACP revolvers do that for the popularity of the 45ACP round and the speed in reloading them with moon clips. I would imaging 95% of the people use the 45acp out of these revolvers. These offerings you mentioned are not something you can pick up in most local shops and purchased in mass quantity with huge discount. If someone were to shoot 45AR out of a gun like 625, then why not go with a 44sp gun to begin with? The 44 has simular balliistics and will be more economical to shoot compared to 45AR and with better availabillity.

For competition, I can see the merits of a 45ACP with full moon clips. Reloading is faster than the rimmed versions. At the range however, for me shooting rimmed cartridge is more convenient for me than shooting my 325 even with polymer moon clips.

I have a moonclip tool. I have found it to be just as fast as the cheap plastic ones from Rimz. And far stronger.

http://mooncliptool.com/

I have one of those also, with mandrels for .45 ACP and .40 S&W. They are great for loading the moonclip, but not so much for the unloading of the empties. Best tool for that is a screwdriver type device long enough for the empties to remain in the tube until the clip is empty - and then you can dump them out. Available at Brownells.

Here's my "demooner" (not a Brownells, but same design)...

21cikcz.jpg

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Will any 357 shoot 38sp and vice versa?

Any .357 will shoot .38, but a .38 (think Snubbies) will NOT shoot .357. The rounds will not fit, I believe.

S&W or Ruger. I have a S&W 686 P 4" and I will never, ever sell it. Put down the money and get a good one up front, from a company that will be around 50 years from now.

So in closing, yes, everyone needs a revolver. If you need more convincing, go watch Dirty Harry. If you remain unconvinced, sell your guns and take up crochet :icon_mrgreen:.

(Before NJ bans crochet needles as well, that is...)

Maks, I use my S&W 610 a lot for competition with .40 S&W. I plan on doing my own loads for this gun soon.

I don't know why people don't like moon clips, I love them! No brass to pickup, never gets stepped-on. I usually just load and unload them by hand, but a tool would make things easier. I have used the plastic moon clips with my 625, they are a piece of cake!

Now, the 610 is no where as easy to load as the 625. I wish someone made a round-nose .40/10mm bullet.

Moon clips are great for run and gun or timed competition. For people who just shoots at the range, Loading/unloading them are extra steps than shooting a revolver with rimmed cartridges. You have to deal with extras like moon clips, and tools for the metal clips, etc..

Maks, I use my S&W 610 a lot for competition with .40 S&W. I plan on doing my own loads for this gun soon.

I don't know why people don't like moon clips, I love them! No brass to pickup, never gets stepped-on. I usually just load and unload them by hand, but a tool would make things easier. I have used the plastic moon clips with my 625, they are a piece of cake!

Now, the 610 is no where as easy to load as the 625. I wish someone made a round-nose .40/10mm bullet.

Here's a few:

Some_SWs.jpg

Gotta get them all together sometime for a group photo.

Lest anyone think S&W only makes shiny wheelguns.

Top is Model 25-2 (45ACP)

Middle is Model 27-2 (357Mag)

Bottom is Model 28-2 Highway Patrolman (357Mag)

SW002.jpg

I find that the shooting of a revolver is much more fun and relaxing than a semi-auto. Shoot 6, dump 6, load 6, repeat. I enjoy the tactile feel of loading the rounds into the cylinder (weird, I know).

I find the reloading of magazines to be a chore and I go thru ammo much slower with a wheel gun. With a revolver, I get into a very nice, easy going rhythm.

As for ammo cost, .38 vs. 9mm, I am waiting on an order of .38 from a professional reloading outfit. The ammo is 11.50 per 50, about the same price as 9mm. I will post up a review when I shoot it. If it shoots good, I may just stop buying 9mm and load up on .38.

Also, deals are to be had in the revolver market. I just bought a 6" SS Ruger Security Six .357 for $250. The gun is a thing of beauty. Last month I bought a 4" S&W 19 for $260 that has a great deal of holster wear from the State Trooper who sold it, but it shoots like a dream. Keep your eyes open and you may stumble into something.

Can we get together so I can shoot the 610?

making it to USPSA CJRPC on Sunday?

Chris, that Model 28-2 Highway Patrolman is totally droolworthy.... I don't like shiny guns... I've got 3 permits coming, 2 already spoken for (Makarov & Beretta Cheetah), maybe the third will be a revolver? I'll be on the lookout for a cheap used .357 :nyam:

Actually, the only revolver that really interests me is a Russian Nagant. I know the ammo is expensive, but the historical value (to me, at least) is through the roof. I remember it from the old Soviet movies of my youth. Not to hijack this thread, but... does anyone have one? I've seen YouTube videos of it, but holding it in the hand and shooting it is different, I guess...

Chris, that Model 28-2 Highway Patrolman is totally droolworthy.... I don't like shiny guns... I've got 3 permits coming, 2 already spoken for (Makarov & Beretta Cheetah), maybe the third will be a revolver? I'll be on the lookout for a cheap used .357 :nyam:

The Model 28-2 is the cheapest of the three. There are deals to be had on them out there, especially if you like the 6" barrel instead of 4".