deni

Do I need a revolver?

66 members have voted

1. 1. Do i need a revolver?

i wonder how a 10mm feels out of a revolver? i have to agree shooting wheelies is much more fun and realaxing at the same time...

I have owned 2 revolvers in 10 millimeter.even stout loads feel tame in a big frame revolver.

Can we get together so I can shoot the 610?

making it to USPSA CJRPC on Sunday?

Maks, I won't be there Sunday. I am sure we will meet-up at OBRPC sometime and you are welcome to shoot it. I'll bring some 10mm too, never shot it yet, only .40.

I do have one blued gun, S&W Model 19, but it's a safe queen. Very faint turn line, original box, no need to try it, I have plenty of others to shoot.

Moon clips are great for run and gun or timed competition. For people who just shoots at the range, Loading/unloading them are extra steps than shooting a revolver with rimmed cartridges. You have to deal with extras like moon clips, and tools for the metal clips, etc..

They're great for either. I do all of my loading/unloading of the moonclips at home, so there is no fuss or muss at the range, or competition. I made the following to fit in a compartment of my range bag...

33a56c4.jpg

The trick is to buy enough moonclips that you don't need to keep unloading and reloading them, as you would with just a few. I carry 162 rounds with the above carrier, which gets me through local matches (I use it for IDPA) or a good range session.

Also in the picture is the moon tool that lunker linked to earlier in this thread. I have two mandrels for mine, one for .40 S&W and one for .45 ACP. The extra mandrel stores on the tool as shown.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I do have one blued gun, S&W Model 19, but it's a safe queen. Very faint turn line, original box, no need to try it, I have plenty of others to shoot.

I disagree. A model 19 (K frames in general, really) may be the best pointing and easiest shooting revolver S&W ever made. Break that baby out of the safe, or get another as a shooter. I am currently in the hunt for one.

There is a new moonclip loader in town, and his name is BMT and he's about to lay waste to all other moonclip loaders that ever loaded a moonclip.

http://www.bmtequipped.com/

Pretty slick, but they don't make one for the gun I use the most - nor are they likely to.

Lunker, here is a little k-frame I couldn't shoot for qwap. After an hour in the garage I can now hit things I shoot at:

Model_64_D.jpg

I'll try the Model 19 and if I like it enough I will buy another to actually shoot.

Please, dear lord of all things holy, take the aimpoint off that revolver and put it on your AR.

I'm seeing a lot of used 686s on gun broker but they'll be hyphenated models.

Anyone know the difference?

The hyphenated number after the model number signifies an engineering change from the previous model. For example, the difference between a model 29-2 and 29-3 is that the 29-2 has a pinned barrel and recessed chambers in the cylinder - the 29-3 does not. This may be one of the few examples of where an engineering change was not necessarily a good thing - at least for S&W collectors.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

Please, dear lord of all things holy, take the aimpoint off that revolver and put it on your AR.

Lunker, here is a little k-frame I couldn't shoot for qwap. After an hour in the garage I can now hit things I shoot at:

Model_64_D.jpg

I'll try the Model 19 and if I like it enough I will buy another to actually shoot.

This.. should be a standard package on all revolvers... red dots for everyone! :)

how do you tell if a revolver can use moon clips?

Revolvers designed to shoot non rimmed or semi rimmed cartridges (45ACP, 40S&W, 10mm) use moon clips. They are required for easy extraction of shells. Revolvers in rimmed cibers like 357 and 44mag can have their cylinders shaved to accept moon clips.

Go for the GP100.just got one 2 weeks ago,its a thing of beauty..had a hard time finding it.local gunshop coulnt even order it for me ,as they are on back order from the factory..i just happened to find one in another shop.(the gun rack in vineland) 6in stainless

Excellent choice Deni. So can we expect to see you at Somerset IDPA with your new toy? There is a very low PF for SSR (105 I believe), which means it should feel like a cap gun in that revolver. Have fun with it, however you choose to use it.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

Thanks everyone, especially for the recommendations and such.

I'm already dreaming of my next one.

Bob, I definitely want to run with this in IDPA but not anytime soon.

Gotta do my research on holsters and moon clips or speed loaders- whatever they're called.

deni:

Funny, but I think our range bags were next to each other at Somerset this month, yet I don't have the faintest idea of who you are - sorry. Introduce yourself at the next match.

Blade Tech for the holster. Safariland Comp 3 for speedloaders and North Mountain speedloader pouches, here...

http://www.4wheelguns.com/IDPACompliant.html

You'll need a minimum of three loaders and pouches.

That's it and you're GTG.

Adios,

Pizza Bob