Sign in to follow this  
Old Glock guy

Target Focus Training

Anyone familiar with it? www.targetfocustraining.com

It's not for the antisocial violence that can occur when you inadvertantly spill a drink on someone or take their seat at a bar.

It's purpose is to deal with the asocial violence of a sociopath intent on inflicting serious injury or worse. (They are big on explaining the difference between antisocial and asocial violence.)

I'm signed up for a two day class in New York next weekend, and while I'm looking forward to learning the techniques, I sure hope I'm not going to be maimed in the training.

Am I reading there prices right? Seems odd to get 2 days of training and you can pay for it for a whole year? Maybe I am missing something??

Can you put a price on real ultimate power?

It's definitely pricey. I've worked my way through the videos (a few hundred bucks), and I thought it might be useful to get some hands on training. They were running a special toward the end of the year, so I was able to get it for half price. Still a lot of dough, no doubt. But since we can't carry firearms in NJ, I reasoned that for about the price of a gun, I could have the knowledge to use deadly force in the unlikely event that it's ever needed. Hey, I pay a lot more than that for disability insurance, and I hope that I never need to use that either.

I should note that I'm not a martial arts guy. I wanted something that would allow me to learn it in a relatively short amount of time, and then just perhaps brush up once in awhile, rather than spending hours in the gym every week. (Not that I'm opposed to exercise, but I already get plenty of that.)

Well, I'm happy to report that I survived the two days of training with just some minor bumps and bruises, mostly from all the falling we did. The weekend was action-packed, with lots of info and plenty of practice in techniques to incapacitate a sociopathic attacker. It dealt with both the physical and mental aspects of violence. Some of the preliminary pictures and videos of violent encounters were so graphic that one young lady passed out in the first half hour. Not coincidentally, she was the only one that did not return for the second day. I was expecting a collection of hulking, martial arts types, so I was surprised by how the two dozen or so of us in the group just looked like a bunch of "average" people.

While there is no substitute for a firearm to defend one's life and that of one's family, this method is the next best thing. It's especially valuable to those of us in NJ who can't have a CCW. While it's unlikely that I will ever need this information, I think of it like the disability policy on which I've paid premiums for over 30 years, hoping that I'm never going to need to collect on it. If anyone would like further info, feel free to pm me or check their website.

Glad it went so well, hope the bruises are healing quickly. I must admit:

"For nearly 20 years TFT founder and creator, Tim Larkin, has been well known in the self defense & close-combat training world but ‘under-the-radar’ to ordinary folks like you. He’s the guy operations like the US Navy SEALs, Army Special Forces and the US Border Patrol call in behind-the-scenes to teach them when it’s “kill-or-be-killed.”"

From the "About" section made me giggle.

Thanks. Oh yeah, I'm now a trained killing machine. Woe to the sociopath who tries to mess with me!

So was it an expensive 2 day krav maga course? because reading between the lines, that's what it sounds like on their website.

Raz-o, I'm not familiar with krav maga, but from the little I've seen about it, I think that might be the closest form of martial arts to TFT. They emphasize that it's not "self defense;" rather, it's a way to step in and injure a violent sociopath, preferably before he can injure you. Here's what I posted on another thread:

TFT will tell you right up front that what they teach will not necessarily vanquish any foe; it's more to give one a fighting chance against a sociopath bent on violence. I'm not interested enough in martial arts to spend hours a week training in a gym for something that is unlikely to happen; plus, I'm reluctant to risk injury to my ancient joints and bones. So I believe this to be an effective compromise. But even saying that, I plan to do some additional training with these people, especially since they meet quite close to where I live.

Well, he's definitely a heavy marketer; but IMHO he is providing a worthwhile service, albeit at considerable cost.

BTW, it is interesting to note (but not at all surprising) that Larkin of TFT swaps marketing lists with Ignatius Piazza of Front Sight and Tim Schmidt of USCCA. All of them are world class marketers, and it seems to be working for them. When I asked people at my TFT class how they had heard of it, a number of them said they were Front Sight lifetime members.