Sandy

Not good , not good.

I don't know..looks they are not planning immediate charges as the family is campaigning for a prosecution.

That just tells me a lot of details are missing from the story ..otherwise I would expect immediate arrest of the guy who shot a minor. Right?

read:

https://www.change.org/petitions/prosecute-the-murderer-of-17-year-old-trayvon-martin

There HAS to be more . You don't shoot a 17 year old walking down the sidewalk with iced tea and skittles and nothing and NOT get arrested.

All supposition at this point -but I'm wondering if the kid did something to make the guy feel he was armed too. Not sticking up for the shooter ,since I don't know what happened..but the mere fact that there was no immediate arrest and it looks like none are planned makes me think that authorities feel the boy had some culpability and the shooting was somehow justified?. Or maybe they know the shooter , know he is not a flight risk at all , and are just gathering more evidence before making an arrest?

The most damning thing I have read is that the shooter was in his car when he called 911. They told him not to pursue the suspicious individual and he did anyway. The shooter was following a kid with his car. Even if the kid was doing something suspicious , the shooter would have had to get out of his car .. I don't know the laws in Fla ..but suffice to say if he is claiming SD a prosecutor would have zero problems showing the defendant could have retreated .

"When I asked the police why there’s been no arrest, they told me they respected the guy’s background, that he had a four-year degree; that he was clean,"

:facepalm:

More interesting information:

http://www.theflorid...rd-2005-battery

Sanford neighborhood Crime Watch captain George Zimmerman has previously been arrested in 2005 for suspicion of battery on a law enforcement officer, but the charges were dropped for an unknown reason.

According to officials, Zimmerman began following Martin and called police to report a suspicion person, the 911 operator told him not to take any action and that police would be dispatched.

For an unknown reason, Zimmerman did take action and shot the teenager in the chest which resulted in the boy dying.

Zimmerman is a slippery man with the laws. According to other reports, the two supposedly got into a physical fight before George pulled the trigger.

I believe he probably did shoot in self defense. The problem? It sounds like he was the initiator/instigator. If what is being reported is mostly accurate, here is what I gather. Again, only based on what has been reported.

- Zimmerman calls 911 from car about a suspicious person (ok, nothing wrong here)

- He follows said suspicious person (nothing necessarily wrong, but certainly nothing smart either)

- He exits vehicle (he is armed, and he is intentionally getting involved in a potential situation)

- A fight starts after an obvious confrontation (he is now IN a situation)

- He shoots individual (after 3 chances to de-conflict, he now uses deadly force in a situation that he initiated)

Let us look at Florida's use of force laws.

CHAPTER 776

JUSTIFIABLE USE OF FORCE

776.041 Use of force by aggressor.—The justification described in the preceding sections of this chapter is not available to a person who:

(2) Initially provokes the use of force against himself or herself, unless:

(a) Such force is so great that the person reasonably believes that he or she is in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm and that he or she has exhausted every reasonable means to escape such danger other than the use of force which is likely to cause death or great bodily harm to the assailant; or

(b) In good faith, the person withdraws from physical contact with the assailant and indicates clearly to the assailant that he or she desires to withdraw and terminate the use of force, but the assailant continues or resumes the use of force.

So here we see that there are 2 separate exceptions in which he could have legally used force. I would only have to assume one of these is the case if he was not arrested. If not, then he was NOT justified. If so, he WAS justified. Sticky situation either way.

Yeah, whoever said that what could a 140lb boy do has obviously not ever fought or wrestled a 140lb kid... I can see the boy and the man getting into it and the man being totally out of his league and the kid started beating his a** and the pretendtobeacop pulls his gun "in self defense" which as Bones noted above seems to not be available to him as it seems he likely instigated the confrontation.

Just bumping this as it is blowing up the news feeds. Any additional thoughts? My feeling is that the triggerman has done us all a disservice with regards to legal CCW and Castle Laws.

latest i;ve heard is that the "New Black Liberation Militia" are calling for volunteers to go to this guy's home and make a "Citizen's Arrest"........ Now THAT has the potential for ending badly.

http://colorlines.com/archives/2012/03/black_militia_plans_to_make_citizens_arrest_of_treyvon_martins_shooter.html

On it's face it looks like a bad shoot..that said, Anyone who's been around for a while might remember Gary Spath from Teaneck PD. in 1990 he shot a black teenager, and was subsequently vilified in the media, to the point that Sharpton and co. were staging protests in front of Gary's home. it wasnt until the trial that it became public that the kid was already a banger, and was ARMED..

As it is though in this case...the shooter sounds like an ahole at the least....doesnt necessarily make him a CRIMINAL per se, but maybe a Negligent Ahole.

Yeah, whoever said that what could a 140lb boy do has obviously not ever fought or wrestled a 140lb kid... I can see the boy and the man getting into it and the man being totally out of his league and the kid started beating his a** and the pretendtobeacop pulls his gun "in self defense" which as Bones noted above seems to not be available to him as it seems he likely instigated the confrontation.

140 pounds means nothing. Look at some of these lightweight UFC fighters. Most of those kids could destroy a good portion of males out on the street regardless of aga and size. Zimmerman sounds like an a** but no one knows what happened with the fight. He obviously instigated it. However if the kid was pummeling him, and he was trying to get away and the kid kept going, sounds like in FL he was justified.

It di say the kid who was shot was there because he was expelled from school for a week.

You dont get expelled for an entire week by being a choir boy! Just sayin'.

The shooter should never been in that sitch in the 1st place tho. He should have eye balled the kid, but not confronted him after the police instructed him not to.

I saw on the news today they had the 911 call and you can hear the kid screaming for help, then you hear the gunshot.

If that's the case then this Zimmerman is done. It ofcourse adds fuel to the anti-gunners fire as well.

I saw on the news today they had the 911 call and you can hear the kid screaming for help, then you hear the gunshot.

Are you sure it wasn't the shooter screaming? I had read reports where nobosy was sure who was yelling.

the report I saw had an original caller watching the fight from his porch, telling the 911 operator that the kid is screaming for help. Then you hear the gunshot and the caller says that he heard a gun go off. From what I heard in the recording it sounded like the kid. When the shooter called police you can tell he was looking for trouble. He calls 911, says he sees a suspicious person, the operator asks if he is following him and the caller said yes. The 911 operator told him to stop following him, and the guy curses and says that they always get away with this shit, then confronts the kid. So from the recording I really think this guy is screwed. He was obviously looking for trouble.

I don't know the laws in Fla ..but suffice to say if he is claiming SD a prosecutor would have zero problems showing the defendant could have retreated .

Let us look at Florida's use of force laws.

CHAPTER 776

JUSTIFIABLE USE OF FORCE

776.041 Use of force by aggressor.—The justification described in the preceding sections of this chapter is not available to a person who:

(2) Initially provokes the use of force against himself or herself, unless:

(a) Such force is so great that the person reasonably believes that he or she is in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm and that he or she has exhausted every reasonable means to escape such danger other than the use of force which is likely to cause death or great bodily harm to the assailant; or

(b) In good faith, the person withdraws from physical contact with the assailant and indicates clearly to the assailant that he or she desires to withdraw and terminate the use of force, but the assailant continues or resumes the use of force.

From what I have read of this, thus far, it sounds like a bad shoot.

But, I'm not so sure about irishpete'swife's supposition and Bonesiums cite of FL law. I believe that FL recently passed a "Stand Your Ground" law which states that as long as you are in a place where you are legally entitled to be (in this case, in public), that you have NO duty to retreat.

Maybe the cite is from a dated source, or maybe I'm incorrect, as I'm going strictly by memory.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

From what I have read of this, thus far, it sounds like a bad shoot.

But, I'm not so sure about irishpete'swife's supposition and Bonesiums cite of FL law. I believe that FL recently passed a "Stand Your Ground" law which states that as long as you are in a place where you are legally entitled to be (in this case, in public), that you have NO duty to retreat.

Maybe the cite is from a dated source, or maybe I'm incorrect, as I'm going strictly by memory.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

That's self defense though. This guy was clearly the aggressor. It's going to be interesting to see how this turns out.

Just because he approached and confronted the individual doesn't mean he "instigated" or provoked anything. For all we know he was just trying to figure out who this guy was, that is not provoking force. Something happened there after that we don't fully know or understand. The kid could have started a fight, which lead zimmer to pull on him. It does seem like the only logical explanation, although who really knows.