iRescue

Howdy from Freehold

Hi all,

Just wanted to drop in and introduce myself.

Doing my research to make my first gun purchase within the next 30 days or so, just waiting on the final paperwork.

Looking at getting a handgun to start then maybe some long arms down the line.

I'm currently looking at the Glock 17 Gen 4, Springfield XDM 9mm and the Beretta 92A1.

My uses would primarily be range fun and HD.

Any advice or previous experiences would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

I plan on hitting the range over the next few weekends and trying all three.

I've shot the Beretta 92 and a Sig 226 at Brick Armory a few times...put a couple hundred rounds through them.

The Sig felt much better in my had but a little out of my price range (I'd like to spend some money on ammo, some more training etc)

How does the Sig compare to glock or XDM in terms of feel/grip? Hoping to get to the range and try the Glock and XDM

welcome.

Browse some sections here, especially the handgun one, and you will see the difference.

Glocks/M&P/XD are striker fired, Double Action

Sigs, Hk, CZ, Beretta are hammer fired, either DA/SA, DAO, or SAO.

Sigs are good quality guns, and in the grand scheme, if that is what you like best, save another $300 and buy a sig. Buy a used sig, even better, there are at least 2 or 3 P229's in the forum marketplace right now. You are going to spend multiples over on ammo, and range fees, and cleaning supplies, and accessories, and gas driving to the range.... than you are on the gun itself.

There is a saying here, "Buy Once, Cry Once"

This is not to say that there is something wrong with any of the handguns you listed above, they are fine, and not some saturday night specials.

Polymer guns tend to be cheaper, except Hk, trigger feel is different too.

If it was my personal choice, it would be either the Sig or the Beretta from the choices above. Glock wise... I would get the 19 as harry suggested. The 19 takes 15 round mags. The 17 takes 17 rounds, which is not legal in nj, so you are stuck with the 10 rounders. Unless you want to have the full size frame gun, get the 19.

Also, just fyi ahead of time, what you think you like now, will absolutely change when you start shooting.

In the past 6 months I have picked up 6 revolvers. 2 years ago, I would never imagine, or even consider buying a revolver, or many handguns for that matter.

Depending on where you shoot, whom you shoot with, how much time or money you have to invest in shooting, will shape who you are as a gun owner. Are you going to be a hunter with 2 shotguns? A Trap/Skeet guy spending $10k on a Krieghoff (sp)? Or a run and gun USPSA/IDPA guy spending $4,000 and $150 per magazine on a custom SVI/Brazos/Akai high capacity 1911/2011? Or maybe bullseye shooting and custom 22 lr guns with grips molded around your hand?

You will buy and sell lots of guns.

You will sell some guns you regret, and end up buying them back. Even better, buying back the exact same gun you sold.

You will have, in a year or so, a box of gun parts (holsters, magazines, etc.) for guns you no longer have, never had, or no longer need.

You will consider reloading your own ammo to save money (it does not save money btw, you just shoot more)

So enjoy.

Thanks for the advice Maksim! Those are some great points to consider.

I've contacted a few friends with XDM, Glock and Sigs to see if they can hit the range over the next couple of weeks while I wait on my paperwork to get back.

Any other points of advice you'd give to a new guy just getting started?

Come to Central Jersey Rifle & Pistol club tomorrow to check out the USPSA match. I will be there. Check out the game, check out the guns and folks shooting the match. Match starts at 10 am. Come earlier, around 8:30 or 9am to come setup, and can spend some time going over stuff. Hang out with the squad through the day and meet a few folks from the forum. Send me a pm, will give you the details.