MarkWVU02

AR buffer question

I have a midlength currently running a regular carbine buffer. Not that the recoil is bad or anything but would a buffer like a spike's st-2 soften it up? Would it be worth the extra money?

The shorter the gas tube the heavier the buffer. I'm not aware of a specific buffer for a midlength gas system so with a carbine buffer it's already a little on the heavy side, theoretically.

If you want to soften it up, and not that you need to, the way I look at it go with as heavy a buffer as the gun will cycle with.

The variable that we don't know is if the rifle is over gassed or not.. So it's a try it deal.

Don't really think it's overgassed. Just read a lot of good reviews from people that have used them and was wondering if I should give it a try. It seems like a softer shooting gun would be a good thing...as long as it cycles properly. I do prefer shooting 5.56 because it's relatively cheap which I would think would benefit by the heavier buffer. Just thoughts in my head that's why I ask.

Don't really think it's overgassed. Just read a lot of good reviews from people that have used them and was wondering if I should give it a try. It seems like a softer shooting gun would be a good thing...as long as it cycles properly. I do prefer shooting 5.56 because it's relatively cheap which I would think would benefit by the heavier buffer. Just thoughts in my head that's why I ask.

If it cycles the heavier buffer would give you a longer dwell time and theoretically again a little more velocity thus a little flatter trajectory. For $40 give it a shot.

And hurry up and join CR since you get all those holidays we can spend some time at the range.

If it cycles the heavier buffer would give you a longer dwell time and theoretically again a little more velocity thus a little flatter trajectory. For $40 give it a shot.

And hurry up and join CR since you get all those holidays we can spend some time at the range.

Why not...could always sell it on here if it doesn't work out. First Sunday of April I'm joining. Can't wait to get some outdoor shooting in!

I use the spikes t-2 that came with my 14.5" mid upper, and so far its had no problems with any ammo Ive tried, everything from wolf to xm855.. Ive also used a regular carbine buffer in it, and noticed it feels slightly smoother, and slightly less recoil using the t-2 over the carbine, but nothing to write home about.

Carbine - 3.0 oz

H - 3.8 oz

H2 - 4.6 oz

H3 - 5.4 oz

Spikes T2 - 4.3 oz

And with a carbine and a H3 you can make any of the H buffers yourself just by swapping the tungsten and steel weights around

Carbine = 3 steel

H = 2 steel, 1 tungsten

H2 = 1 steel, 2 tungsten

H3 = 3 tungsten

I use the spikes t-2 that came with my 14.5" mid upper, and so far its had no problems with any ammo Ive tried, everything from wolf to xm855.. Ive also used a regular carbine buffer in it, and noticed it feels slightly smoother, and slightly less recoil using the t-2 over the carbine, but nothing to write home about.

Carbine - 3.0 oz

H - 3.8 oz

H2 - 4.6 oz

H3 - 5.4 oz

Spikes T2 - 4.3 oz

And with a carbine and a H3 you can make any of the H buffers yourself just by swapping the tungsten and steel weights around

Carbine = 3 steel

H = 2 steel, 1 tungsten

H2 = 1 steel, 2 tungsten

H3 = 3 tungsten

Interesting. How does one disassemble a buffer?