Sign in to follow this  
Greydaddy

Top Shot last night

Thought it funny, the balls rolling out of the barrel when they were shooting the black powder pistols! Wouldn't you think someone would know something about the pistols if they're using that on the show? Am I wrong?

Thought it funny, the balls rolling out of the barrel when they were shooting the black powder pistols! Wouldn't you think someone would know something about the pistols if they're using that on the show? Am I wrong?

Now that's funny!!

But yeah, you'd think people would know something about the firearms they are using........

Look, he's a total dipshit. How long do you need to stand there pulling the trigger before you realize something is totally and entirely wrong?? My thought as I was watching this on DVR this morning was "is this guy trying to throw the game to the red team"????????

Look, he's a total dipshit. How long do you need to stand there pulling the trigger before you realize something is totally and entirely wrong?? My thought as I was watching this on DVR this morning was "is this guy trying to throw the game to the red team"????????

Totally, I think I counted 3 red team members swing over, load , shoot, unfortunately miss, then swing back while he just held it up there.

Is it normal to just put a loose ball right on top of the powder in a BP flintlock handgun? When I shot BP long arms, using a round ball, the round ball was always patched. Old school method was to soak pillow-ticking material in your mouth (the saliva acted as both a lubricant and snuffed any sparks in the barrel), put the wet cloth over the muzzle and, using a starter tool, seat the ball just below the muzzle. Gather-up the excess cloth and, using a patch-knife, cut it off flush with the muzzle. Then use the ramrod to seat the ball on the powder.

Were what they doing realistic, or was it done that way for expediency?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

That was painful to watch. Between the guys face planting and that ...Littlejohn guy....oh man. I can see the ball falling out , not a familiar type of weapon for them. But how long did he stand there like a statue? Did he really think that the trigger would just eventually give over ? Video can be really misleading , looped and edited. But still , like a PP said I think 3 people platform skipped and shot while he was just squeazing and squeazing ....

As an Expert in Black Powder Pistols I can tell you what Pizza Bob said is correct. However, to speed things up a bit they could have used thinner pre-lubed patches and a range rod to push the patched ball down onto the powder charge. Having balls rolling out the muzzle of the gun is BS! Loaded correctly, those guns in the proper hands can make one ragged hole with several shots going into the same hole! I've seen it myself!

This is the second time that I know of in the history of this show that black powder firearms have been "misused" in some way, and the resulting comments both on the show & off are just plain annoying. And Gary James may be a Guns & ammo writer, but he sure as hell isn't an expert in black powder shooting. Missfires & hang-fires are the result of improper maintainence & cleaning procedures, NOT a generalized accepted condition of the sport of black powder shooting, which unfortuneately was mis-represented on this show yet again!

Dave

NRA Expert ML Pistol

NRA Certified Instructor ML Pistol

Oh, and while I'm at it, get that cry-baby Little John off the show! He looks like a Cop with an ATTITUDE problem who'd write his own Mother a ticket!