alec.mc

Central NJ Motorcycle Classes

A buddy of mine and myself are considering taking a motorcycle saftey and training class this spring with the intention of purchasing some bikes one day.

We are looking for reccomendations for training facilities that offer a " all in one stop " ( training / written test/ supply bike / road test , etc ) that are reasonably priced , newbie friendly, and located somewhere in the central jersey area.

Thanks.

Have you looked into Rider Education of NJ?

From Rider Education of NJ:

*Effective September 26, 2011, students who possess a valid driver license WILL NO LONGER be required to have a motorcycle permit in order to take the Basic RiderCourse (BRC). A law knowledge test waiver, in addition to the road test waiver, will be issued by the NJ MVC to those NJ Residents who successfully complete the BRC.

From NJ MVC:

Enroll in Basic Rider Course- no motorcycle permit required to take rider course

• STEP 1- TAKE BASIC RIDER COURSE
    • Register with an approved motorcycle training provider
    • Take motorcycle training course

[*]STEP 2- GET COURSE COMPLETION DOCUMENTS

• 100% participation required
    • Must successfully complete course
    • Will receive a stamped waiver form and completion card
      *NOTE: you must add a motorcycle endorsement to your license before you begin riding after completing the course

[*]STEP 3- GET MOTORCYCLE ENDORSEMENT

• Must bring course completion documents to a driver testing center and prove your identity by passing 6 Point ID Verification
    • Must apply for a motorcycle permit
    • Must be at least 17 years old; parent/guardian consent required under age 18
    • Must pass vision test
    • Must pay required fee

• How to get a motorcycle permit
  • You must be at least 17 years old
  • Complete a motorcycle permit application from an MVC Agency
  • Pass the 6 Point ID Verification
  • Pay $5 permit fee. For your convenience, MVC Agencies accept American Express® card, MasterCard® card, Visa® card, checks, money orders and cash
  • Pass the knowledge and vision tests to validate your permit. Study by reading the Driver Manual and Motorcycle Manual [524k pdf]

The MSF (www.renj.com) is a great organization. I took the course many years ago and it was well worth it. I took it at Naval air Station Lakehurst but they have classes all over NJ. Just a warning...the classes fill up fast!! If you have any motorcycle questions then feel free to ask (esp sport bikes) .I know much more about bikes than guns :wild:

To take the MSF course you must have passed the written part of the exam but MSF will administer the road test and endorse your permit.

Either of the 2 are good, I can't remember if both are recognized by all insurance companies for discounts but they are good for any rider. No it doesn't matter how long you have been riding, these courses will even remind old time riders some of the basics they may have forgotten about. The advance class is also good to take, as they say anything that will help a rider stay out of an accident is a good thing, and sometimes it's the basics that a ride who has been riding for a long time forgets about.

Also Alec, after you and your buddy get bikes, about a year in or maybe 2 depending how many miles you get under your belt, when you have a feeling of I can do this and I CANT GET HURT, park the damn bike until you get that thought out of your head. Believe me, more invisible riders get hurt then brand new or old time riders and that usually when they have a year or 2 of riding experience.

After you get some miles - i also HIGHLY recommend Lee Parks Total Control Riding course. Awesome day and will really bring your riding to the next level. When I took it we had all types of bikes, sport bikes, classics, Harleys, even a Gold Wing.

http://www.totalcontroltraining.net/

Hey Alec,

Here's a link to Rider courses, I think Brookdale would be the easiest for you to get to. Less than five minutes off exit 109.

http://www.funnewjersey.com/upload_user/New_Jersey_State_info/RIDER_EDUCATION_OF_NJ.HTM

Wished I would have taken the course before I got my endorsement.

Good Luck

I took the Rider Ed class 10 years ago and it was definitely worth it.

However, you will still have to take the written test at a Motor Vehicle Center. The Rider Ed, or MSF, class teaches you valuable skills, and you avoid the "driving" test by taking the class, but you still have the rest of the MVC fire drill to go through.

Rider Ed all the way. You do have to take it with a grain of salt though, and by that I mean they don't teach you everything. They work on the basics, and that's all you need to get started. But once you get some miles under your belt, you might need more training and practice. That's where track work comes in, or classes like Total Control and that sort.

RiderEd is good for basics, but you are doing VERY slow maneuvers which are sometimes the hardest when it comes to riding. But once you start cruising, you need to learn to take the basics to the next level...throttle control, body positioning, looking through corners, etc etc.

I took the MSF course at County College of Morris; went great. Book way ahead of time, like months. If you don't book far enough ahead of time you can try to standby, usually 2 or 3 people don't show up. You'll have to get there by atleast 0600 to standby.

Any course will be more than worth it.

Rider Ed all the way. You do have to take it with a grain of salt though, and by that I mean they don't teach you everything. They work on the basics, and that's all you need to get started. But once you get some miles under your belt, you might need more training and practice. That's where track work comes in, or classes like Total Control and that sort.

RiderEd is good for basics, but you are doing VERY slow maneuvers which are sometimes the hardest when it comes to riding. But once you start cruising, you need to learn to take the basics to the next level...throttle control, body positioning, looking through corners, etc etc.

Good advise, I went from riding bicycles to dirt a S90 as a moped look a like (hehe) and then old Trumpet Chops and Harley's. Been riding street bikes from 84 till now. Did my MC road test in southern Kali on my 68 Trumpet Chop.

Wen to do the test I walked out with the guy and he went over the course with me, I asked him if I could go outside the lines on the circle, he told me if I did I would fail, I said OK, not sure buy I'll give it a go. Walked around the corner to get my bike, kicked her to life and proceeded around the corner so he should now see what I was riding and pulled up in front of him and stopped and shut her down to wait for more info. He looked at the circle, looked at the bike (wheel base was close to a 74 bug) and said heck if you could ride that here and make it you don't need to ride inside the circle and said just ride around the lot and make some turns, don't put my feet down and come back to him and stop. I did all that, he said I passed said have fun. LOL

I came back to NJ in 87 and rode for years but decided to hit one of the MSF courses for the insurance discount. I'll tell ya, after all the years and miles of riding around the country I still learned a few things, also was reminded of things I did know that I had become complacent about and no longer did. Thats the reason I say that even long time riders can benefit from taking a course every once in a while.

Did the MSF/Rider course at Lincroft a few years ago. Was great... yes, they book up quick.

I have my endorsement, but never ended up getting a bike, now that weather is warming up... the itch is coming back, might take the course again as a refresher.

Rider's Education of NJ gets my vote too. The information you learn is invaluable. I have been riding for a while and learned a ton from it, highly recommended. But as stated you will need to go to the MVC and take the written test and get your permit. You bring the permit to class, they provide bikes and the test, they endorse your permit, and you take that to the MVC and they add the endorsement to your license.

I took both the basic and advanced rider ed courses, I highly recommend them. The basic started with pushing fellow riders on the course bikes (125's and 250's) around the parking lot. At the advanced course we were making sparks dragging kickstands, footrests and pipes doing figuire eight's at speed. In between there was lots of classroom time dedicated to safety.

MSF course at Englishtown was well worth it, 3 days, written as well as actual riding (on closed course) havent been on a bike in 20+ years but this gave me a great refresher, especially with all the distractions cagers have now a days.

I took the Rider Education course at the Brookdale Community College site in Lincroft since everything at the North Jersey sites were booked up for months at the time. You'll see courses book up with exponential quickness as spring rolls around and the sun starts shining with more consistency. The course itself was three days and well worth the time and money. The instructors were informative, funny, patient and were able to teach the class in a way that spoke to both complete novices and to those with more experience. I really enjoyed the experience and recommend it to anyone who is interested in riding. It definitely builds up your confidence and gives you a good foundation for getting started on the road.