Been an interesting year in NJ, had some good snow, a hurricane, god knows what else. Thinking we are a bit lax in our current state of preparedness - while I'm comfortable identifying and procuring items to have in the home should we need to 'bug in' for some period of days without power, water, etc, I'm looking for a resource that can be trusted to help identify appropriate things for an away bag if we need to head out for 3-4 days. I don't want to be some pre-packaged kit, but would appreciate if any of you folks have web sites, or places to direct someone for good suggestions in terms of things to think about. Also, any suggested places to purchase some of this stuff - as some of these preparedness sites I see online seem a bit sketchy.

Feel like much of the basics are down, food, water, water purification, defense, blankets, but what else? Hopefully this will be all for naught but rather have and not need, than the other way around.

Thanks.

Tom

Ready-made kits are generally a bad idea. In my experience, they're either crappy quality, generic items that don't really serve your needs, or far too expensive to make it worth purchasing.

I don't have a list to post here, but the major thing to keep in mind is weight. If you brought all the gear that you really wanted, you wouldn't actually get anywhere. It's just too much crap to lug around - especially if you're on foot.

There's someone's signature here that goes something like "Skillset. Mindset. Toolset. In that order." That should really be taken to heart. You would be much better served learning to get by with less. My bug out bag, so to speak, weighs about 17 pounds fully loaded (not counting water) and if there was a way to shave it down, I'd really like to. Of note, it would weigh more if we could legally carry a weapon here in NJ, but alas, we can't. So it stays in the safe. You could otherwise add the weight of a 9mm pistol, 3 loaded 15 round mags, and a very small cleaning kit. To take its place, I carry my leatherman. :facepalm:

.... but let's say I don't want to bother putting all the things together myself and buy a ready kit >>> which one Wud u recommend ?

Most of the kits are not really suitable for anything other then a starting point, are overpriced for what you get, and select the cheapest components to boot. Build your own, the resources linked should help you out, plus this way you can spread the expense.

• Like 1

I built by own go-bag after 9/11. It doesn't really have stuff for defense. I don't think that there will be a hurricane and suddenly NJ will be like Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. You will still be under the rule of law.

Its just a simple backpack with crackers and peanut butter, some bottled water, flashlights, bandages, OTC medicines and so on. Pretty much your basic stuff. Not a survival kit as much as a comfort kit.

I did add some things that I think were important:

* A paper card with phone numbers (how many of you remember numbers now that they are in your cell phone?)

* Extra cell phone charger and pair of glasses

* Underwear for my two kids, my wife and I, as well as toilet paper and tampons

* Paper roadmaps

* $200 in cash.

* Small toys for the kids

In all honestly, toys were probably one of the better ideas I came up with. It won't matter if you are evacuating from a hurricane or the Zombies, your kids will still complain that they are bored. A couple of matchbox cars and some playing cards will go far in keeping *you* sane.

Been an interesting year in NJ, had some good snow, a hurricane, god knows what else. Thinking we are a bit lax in our current state of preparedness - while I'm comfortable identifying and procuring items to have in the home should we need to 'bug in' for some period of days without power, water, etc, I'm looking for a resource that can be trusted to help identify appropriate things for an away bag if we need to head out for 3-4 days. I don't want to be some pre-packaged kit, but would appreciate if any of you folks have web sites, or places to direct someone for good suggestions in terms of things to think about. Also, any suggested places to purchase some of this stuff - as some of these preparedness sites I see online seem a bit sketchy.

Feel like much of the basics are down, food, water, water purification, defense, blankets, but what else? Hopefully this will be all for naught but rather have and not need, than the other way around.

Thanks.

Tom

I suggest a small AM/FM portable radio so you can find out what is going on when the power is out. Don't forget spare batteries. Definitely a knife or multi-tool, some paracord, a first aid kit, toilet paper and a flashlight.

While winter is ending, warm clothes and a good pair of boots would be nice to have and essential when winter rolls around again. If you are trying to keep it light then think of an extra layer over, or under, whatever you would be likely to be wearing already.

Skip the pre-packaged kits. You can get a decent pack for as little as $25 complete with Molle straps. Put in whatever you think you need. When you get a better idea, then change the contents. Toss the bag in your trunk so you have it when you need it.

Here's a good book that I just ordered.

The Prepper's Pocket Guide: 101 Easy Things You Can Do to Ready Your Home for a Disaster [Paperback]

http://www.amazon.com/The-Preppers-Pocket-Guide-Disaster/dp/1569759294/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331857897&sr=8-1

Based on some of the suggestions here - anyone have a point of view on small electric devices (ie flashlights, alert radios, etc) and recommendations about buying units and get into the battery rotation game every 6 months or year; or I've seen some flashlights, radios, etc that don't require battery and are 'windup' with an arm on the back/bottom/whatever- but to see them they feel more like a gimmick then something I'd really want to trust in an emergency. Thoughts?

I'm not a big fan of windup electronics. They tend to have disparagingly short "up-time's", making them maybe somewhat reliable, but not dependable (we tend to need information at exact moments [in regards to radios], or have to use a light when we must [in regards to flashlights]... having to wait for an item to be available can be a huge detriment).

5.11 makes a decent light that fits this description, but I can't comment on it firsthand. If it is as good as people say, this light (among a very few others) may be the exception.

Also, in regards to lights, I am a big fan of head lamps, or lights that can be clipped to the body. This is because often times we need our two hands to do administrative stuff or whatever else. In a crisis situation, I think this is even more paramount as handicapping ourselves to just one hand can be a huge detriment. Princeton-Tec makes affordable, durable, and proven lamps for cheap... or at least a lot cheaper than Surefires, but higher quality than the cheaper Energizer (and other similarly priced products).

I would also recommend getting lights that have either a filter attachment (like Surefire lights) or have a built-in red light. This is because red light has a different frequency compared to white light, and hence is less strenuous on the eyes in the dark-- doesn't really mess with our natural night vision-- and also has a very low signature.

I think your first order of business would be to define exactly what you are prepping for (bug-in, bug-out or both) recommendations for gear would differ depending on this criteria, because when you bug-out Weight becomes a much bigger concern. I.E. If your bugging-out I would suggest freeze-dried foods as they are much lighter and pack smaller (I prefer Mountain House). If your bugging in I would go for for MREs instead. They are heaver, bulkier and have a shorter shelf life, however they are much higher in calories/nutrients. A single MRE will give you around 1300 calories, where a freeze-dried entree will give you approx 600 cals.

Good local guy for survival supplies: www.getoutsafe.net

Any info. on this guy? Ever been to his store, fair prices? Is he a prepper who can offer genuine helpful advice or just someone looking to cash in on the 2012 scare?

I was thinking about trying these out - Midland GXT1050VP4 36-Mile 50-Channel FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radio (Pair) (Camo) but most of the reviews indicate the actual range is only 2 - 3 miles, not anywhere near the claimed 36 miles depending on obstructions.

I am looking for a 2-way radio that can get me a 20 mile range. Any suggestions?

What about a marine VHF radio like - Icom IC-M72 Handheld Marine VHF Radio - Waterproof