I was thinking about trying these out - Midland GXT1050VP4 36-Mile 50-Channel FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radio (Pair) (Camo) but most of the reviews indicate the actual range is only 2 - 3 miles, not anywhere near the claimed 36 miles depending on obstructions. I am looking for a 2-way radio that can get me a 20 mile range. Any suggestions? What about a marine VHF radio like - Icom IC-M72 Handheld Marine VHF Radio - Waterproof

I'd recommend getting licenses as a HAM radio operator. You'll get the knowledge and creds to buy a 2 meter radio. Most handhelds are going to be limited at 5 watts which could get you 20 mile radius if you were high up and without obstructions. Else, you'll be able to use repeaters to reach out. Otherwise, you could get a car/truck radio that could be in the 50 - 75 watt range and definitely reach out and touch someone.

My father and I were able to talk on 2m radios when he was in Portland, ME and I was on Mt. Washington. He had a 50watt car radio and I had a 5watt handheld.

Any info. on this guy? Ever been to his store, fair prices? Is he a prepper who can offer genuine helpful advice or just someone looking to cash in on the 2012 scare?

Sorry, I just saw this. Yes, I've chatted with him a couple of times, and he seems like a good guy. He's a prepper himself who has used his personal knowledge to start a business. If you live not too far from the store (in Whippany), stop in sometime to talk with him. He is enthusiastic, and will not pressure you.

Wouldn't it really depend on what your plan for survival was? If you were planning on staying put, then stockpiles of food, ammo, water, medical stuff, and wood for barricades would be a good idea.

If your planning on heading into the woods, or something, like I have planned, here's the stuff I was planning on bringing.

Machete, Axe, firearms/ammo/cleaning stuff/ etc., Seeds, nails, food, water, firestarting equipment, tents, compass, some clothes, paper, medical supplies, digging equipment, and other things of that nature.

Then again, the best thing is to find people you can trust so you can band together with them. The idea of the lone wolf survivor exists only in movies. In nature, humans are ill adapted, other than our brains (which for many are hardly an advantage) we have little in the way of physical adaptations that can be of benefit to us. We succeeded because we banned together in close-knit tribes and specialized.for hunting, home care, medical services, etc. It is good to have a group to specialize various tasks. I would plan to band with some of my friends, and our immediate family, and move somewhere secluded, but where we would have ample resources. Forests are good because of game, edible plants, wood, etc. Not to mention you can clear out an area and try to grow some crops. There would also likely be a source of water you could use for food, irrigation, and things like that. The most vital jobs in my scenario would be of farmer, gatherer, medic, and someone to do things such as mend gear, clothing, etc.

I'd recommend getting licenses as a HAM radio operator. You'll get the knowledge and creds to buy a 2 meter radio. Most handhelds are going to be limited at 5 watts which could get you 20 mile radius if you were high up and without obstructions. Else, you'll be able to use repeaters to reach out. Otherwise, you could get a car/truck radio that could be in the 50 - 75 watt range and definitely reach out and touch someone.

My father and I were able to talk on 2m radios when he was in Portland, ME and I was on Mt. Washington. He had a 50watt car radio and I had a 5watt handheld.

So I guess to get the distance I'd need some amatuer equipment like the Icom IC-7000 or a handheld with a comparable frequency range.

So I guess to get the distance I'd need some amatuer equipment like the Icom IC-7000 or a handheld with a comparable frequency range.

Amateur radio licenses allow you to use the FCC regulated frequencies and more powerful radios. I think you can get powerful Citizens Band (CB) radios that might get you the same thing - I'm not exactly positive.

I found the "Get Out Safe" store in Whippany to be kind of crappy, IMO. What they had there was your "run of the mill" survival stuff. Standard department store grade tools and some NBC deterrent stuff. The guy there was nice, but a tad too nice. I did buy a 3 pack of flashlights for $12, which I don't regret since they are unusually nice.

In a bad situation, I would only "bug out" if need be. Some might call me "not prepared" but I attempt to stockpile store-bought canned food as much as possible, and I can easily acquire water from several sources close by and purify it. I honestly don't see a situation (short of Red Dawn or complete anarchy) that I would want to "bug out". In Jersey and the local parts around here (certainly everything within full tank of gas and no traffic distance) there simply isn't room to "bug out". If I didn't die attempting to bug out, I would come back home and find my stuff ransacked.

If there is a hurricane or some other natural disaster, I will move to wherever the Government tells me to or stay with family then go back to my house (if it is still there) afterward.

I found the "Get Out Safe" store in Whippany to be kind of crappy, IMO. What they had there was your "run of the mill" survival stuff.

Just curious if you have found a better store of its kind in the area. Most survival stuff is "run of the mill," with the main issue being to accumulate it before it is needed. It is true that you could go around to a bunch of places to gather what you might need. What Frank at Get Out Safe has done is to offer a lot of supplies in one location.

In a bad situation, I would only "bug out" if need be. Some might call me "not prepared" but I attempt to stockpile store-bought canned food as much as possible, and I can easily acquire water from several sources close by and purify it. I honestly don't see a situation (short of Red Dawn or complete anarchy) that I would want to "bug out". In Jersey and the local parts around here (certainly everything within full tank of gas and no traffic distance) there simply isn't room to "bug out". If I didn't die attempting to bug out, I would come back home and find my stuff ransacked.

I would totally agree with you on that. There's nothing wrong with stockpiling some canned food, although you will need to be diligent about cycling your stock every year or so. And yes, there is a lot of readily accesible water around, provided one has the means to purify it. In most situations, one would be better off staying put in an emergency. I think the notion of bugging out to the woods, while somewhat romantic, is probably unrealistic, especially in New Jersey and surrounding areas.

Just curious if you have found a better store of its kind in the area. Most survival stuff is "run of the mill," with the main issue being to accumulate it before it is needed. It is true that you could go around to a bunch of places to gather what you might need. What Frank at Get Out Safe has done is to offer a lot of supplies in one location.

I would totally agree with you on that. There's nothing wrong with stockpiling some canned food, although you will need to be diligent about cycling your stock every year or so. And yes, there is a lot of readily accesible water around, provided one has the means to purify it. In most situations, one would be better off staying put in an emergency. I think the notion of bugging out to the woods, while somewhat romantic, is probably unrealistic, especially in New Jersey and surrounding areas.

The thing with "survival gear" is I don't believe it is a one-stop shop for everything. Take for example bags, a crappy backpack or duffel bag will suffice if you're evacuating to a highschool gym during a hurricane, but nothing beats an ALICE pack for a bug out bag. What I meant by "run of the mill" stuff is he sells generic backpacks, chem toilets, and camping gear and the like. Everything there I can buy at Ramsey Outdoor mostly.

What I think he would be better off selling is a mixture of water purification stuff (when I was there he had just moved so most of his water goods were not there), some milsurp goods, a better selection of cutlery (I didn't look but I doubt anything wasnt 440 stainless, cheap junky steel), canning supplies (corner stone of prepping), and then your basic camping/survival stuff.

I'm not even a "prepper" either. I find the subject interesting though.