diamondd817

Best 22lr Ammo for Semi-Autos

I got the Ruger SR22 and I am having FTF problems with American Eagle 40 Grain High Velocity Lead Round Nose ammo. Im not sure if I just got a bad batch of ammo, or its the ammo brand, or the pistol.

The slide is short stroking and not picking up the next round in the magazine. This didn't happen with the first 40rds of American Eagle 38gr HV HP Plated 22lr.

What are your experieces with 22lr ammo in autoloader pistols?

22's can be ammo sensitive so what works in one man's gun may not work in yours. Did you check the owners manual?

^^^ This.

In addition, is the gun new and just being broken in??

What to the mags look like, are they holding the next round at the proper angle or letting it point up to much.

If new, my GSG had a problem the first 5 mags of CCI and I switched to Federal Bulk 525 packs and it worked perfectly after that. Note I also had to run the gun wet during the break in. Now she fires just about anything I have feed her.

Is the gun dirty??? Yea I know but had to ask being 22LR is a dirty round anyway.

Gun is new. 190rds so far. The first 40 cycled fine with AE 38gr, the next 150 with AE 40gr which is when I started gettin the FTF's. No prior cleaning. I took the pistol home yesterday a cleaned real good and lubed. Have not shot since. Mags feed fine, i had 1 round that was out of align in the mag, but that was my fault. I definitely seemed to get worse as I shot more. I am hoping it's a combo of a dirty gun and weak ammo.

I just went and ordered more of that AE 38gr HV HP plated 22lr.

Gun is new. 190rds so far. The first 40 cycled fine with AE 38gr, the next 150 with AE 40gr which is when I started gettin the FTF's. No prior cleaning. I took the pistol home yesterday a cleaned real good and lubed. Have not shot since. Mags feed fine, i had 1 round that was out of align in the mag, but that was my fault. I definitely seemed to get worse as I shot more. I am hoping it a dirty gun and weak ammo.

I just went and ordered more of that AE 38gr HV HP plated 22lr.

Here is a good practice to get into. I know when you first get a gun you want nothing more than to throw a bunch of rounds down the range but don't do that.

Field strip the gun and clean off all the shipping grease and/or oil. Re-lube the gun and put her back together.

This does a few things, you get to check out the gun, see how everything works, make sure nothing is noticeably wrong and put the proper lube on the gun. That crap they ship with is more to prevent rust.

Also alway bring a few different types of ammo the first time just to ops check the gun..

• Like 1

Here is a good practice to get into. I know when you first get a gun you want nothing more than to throw a bunch of rounds down the range but don't do that.

Field strip the gun and clean off all the shipping grease and/or oil. Re-lube the gun and put her back together.

This does a few things, you get to check out the gun, see how everything works, make sure nothing is noticeably wrong and put the proper lube on the gun. That crap they ship with is more to prevent rust.

Also alway bring a few different types of ammo the first time just to ops check the gun..

Exactly what he said. What the guns ship with is not a lubricant as much as it is a preservative. It traps junk and gets goopy fast

I do usually practice this, but the last 2 pistols I bought (G26, SR22) I just decided to shoot them out of the box. LIke I said, i did take home and cleaned/lubed real well after the range trip, and I did leave it a little wetter than usual. I got to try again this week.

Also, i did have a couple of the 40gr rounds fail to fire. I really leaning towards a bad/weak batch of ammo.

blazer bulk should work great if cci mini-mags work for you.

+ 1

Sig recommends CCI mini-mag for my P226 conversion but I was having failure to feed. Blazer seem to have fixed that.

I use cci-mini mag for my M&P 15-22 and it runs flawless!!

I'm not sure if Ruger recommends or certified ammos for your pistol but M&P does

Recommended ammo by S&W for M&P 15-22

Good 22LR Ammo

CCI Mini-Mag

CCI standard velocity

Aguila Super Extra Std Velocity

Aguila Super Extra Ext Velocity

Federal American Eagle

Federal Game Shock

Winchester Super-X High Velocity

S&W listed not to use

Remington Gold Bullet

Remington Target 22

Sub-sonic Brands and Types

Remington Thunderbolt

Winchester Wildcat

I got federal bulk pack from a combination of Dunns I think was the name, Cabelas, and I can't remember the other place but I usually pick up 5K plus each time I order when I see them on sale, heck you can never have enough 22LR on hand, Great for a Zombie attack...

Let us know how you make out on your next range visit..

CCI Mini Mags (40 gr solids) are the rounds recommended by many firearms manufacturers for finicky guns. Personally, I've had good luck with Federal Auto Match.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

As some have suggested above, stick with CCI Mini Mags. I only will use Mini Mags in all of my .22's and never had a single failure EVER. yes, they do cost a little more than going the cheap bulk pack route, but spending the couple of extra bucks is worth it for me. It's good ammo.

CCI Mini Mags (40 gr solids) are the rounds recommended by many firearms manufacturers for finicky guns. Personally, I've had good luck with Federal Auto Match.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

The CCI minimags have been the best so far, but the federal bulk packs work fine. I've used these in a GSG-5 and Walther P22. Check to see if the slide was greased. I would just oil it.

Unlike many small frame .22 autoloaders, Ruger says that standard velocity ammo is recommended for the SR .22

Just read a review of the pistol that said so on gunsandammo.com

Not exactly. Most SV rounds are compatible - that doesn't mean "recommended". Here's the statement from the article you reference...

"Ruger also emphasizes that while most small-scale blowback .22 rimfire pistols function reliably only with high-velocity ammunition, the SR22P is compatible with all .22 Long Rifle cartridges “loaded to U.S. industry standards,” with the possible exception of subsonic and some match-grade loads that may not have sufficient energy to cycle the slide. The company suggestion, should that happen, is simply “try another brand of ammo.”"

SV ammo is best used in target grade .22 autos, such as Hi-Standards or S&W model 41's.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I did use Federal bulk 525 packs witch is great, but i have a deal (on going) on Federal Gold Medal HV Match 5,000 rounds at a time .

Yep, that's the load #745 that I was referring to. It's much different, in my experiences, than the Federal Champion load #510. The 745's will fire in anything and everything. No so for the 510's.

Yep, that's the load #745 that I was referring to. It's much different, in my experiences, than the Federal Champion load #510. The 745's will fire in anything and everything. No so for the 510's.

How do you know which load is which if you buy online?

The CCI minimags have been the best so far, but the federal bulk packs work fine. I've used these in a GSG-5 and Walther P22. Check to see if the slide was greased. I would just oil it.

That CCI stuff seems a little pricey. Kinda defeats the purpose, no?

The RUGER® SR22TM PISTOLS are compatible with all factory

ammunition of the correct caliber loaded to U.S. Industry Standards, including

high-velocity and hollow-point loads. However, sub-sonic or match-grade

ammunition may not have sufficient energy to cycle the slide. If you find that the

slide does not cycle fully, try another brand of ammunition.

Depends how much you're paying for a box of minimags to consider it expensive. :) You can find it online for $6 for a box of 100. I also like Federal Game Shok 40 gr copper plated. That you can find for under $5.50 for a box of 100.

Federal Bulk http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/federal-premium-champion-ammunition-long-rifle-copper-plated-1260-p-73984.html

Depends how much you're paying for a box of minimags to consider it expensive. :) You can find it online for $6 for a box of 100. I also like Federal Game Shok 40 gr copper plated. That you can find for under $5.50 for a box of 100.

Federal Bulk http://www.ableammo....60-p-73984.html

Oh. I looked quick and thought it was $6 for 50rds. I guess it's not bad then.

As some have suggested above, stick with CCI Mini Mags. I only will use Mini Mags in all of my .22's and never had a single failure EVER. yes, they do cost a little more than going the cheap bulk pack route, but spending the couple of extra bucks is worth it for me. It's good ammo.

That CCI stuff seems a little pricey. Kinda defeats the purpose, no?

Blazer bulk packs are exactly the same load and bullet as 40gr minimags. just without the copper washing on the bullet. Blazer is owned by cci/speer. $20 for 525 rounds at dicks.

Just saying....

I do usually practice this, but the last 2 pistols I bought (G26, SR22) I just decided to shoot them out of the box. LIke I said, i did take home and cleaned/lubed real well after the range trip, and I did leave it a little wetter than usual. I got to try again this week.

Also, i did have a couple of the 40gr rounds fail to fire. I really leaning towards a bad/weak batch of ammo.

When I got my SR22 the shop said it was no problem to fire it right out of the box. I should have listened to you guys. Ordering a cleaning kit LOL.