Sign in to follow this  
Cemeterys Gun Blob

Fiber Optic Sights and Black Powder

Just wondering, anybody use fiber optic sights on their black powder gunz?

Am interested in which color, red or green, would work best to grab available outdoor sunlight and regain my sight alignment quickly. My current sights are white dot, and I've found them difficult to reaquire due to the smoke.

Not allowed at most "traditional" Clubs. Only really see them being used on Inlines for hunting. One Club I belong to allows them on rifles, but not pistols. I prefer open, iron sights on my front stuffers and C&B revolvers. This way I can go from one Club to another without problems or handicaps getting in the way of having fun!

To be completely truthful, most (in the world of REAL black powder) consider their use an abomination.

To better answer your question in regards to effective color of the hi-vis sight material: I would imaging it depends upon the color of your intended target. I prefer green hi-vis on my modern centerfire scatterguns, since clays are orange and the contrasting colors are helpful with leading the clays. If they were the same color, the sights could get "lost" in a sea of color, and you'd be shooting all over the place.....

Good luck with what works for you!

And remember my offer to shoot front stuffers still stands: 1st, 3rd, or the last Sundays of the month. I'll supply the rifle since you don't own one!

To better answer your question in regards to effective color of the hi-vis sight material: I would imaging it depends upon the color of your intended target. I prefer green hi-vis on my modern centerfire scatterguns, since clays are orange and the contrasting colors are helpful with leading the clays. If they were the same color, the sights could get "lost" in a sea of color, and you'd be shooting all over the place.....

I'm leaning towards the green since I don't like the red for whatever reason, seems to bug my eyes out. At least when I look at them online anyway.

I'm leaning towards the green since I don't like the red for whatever reason, seems to bug my eyes out. At least when I look at them online anyway.

The nice thing about the good hi-vis sets is just that--they're usually sold as sets, which means you get 2-4 colors in a package and can change them out at will.......