lionelfan

Browning Semi Auto 22, Grade I Rifle

I'm considering getting a 22LR rifle for target shooting at 100 yards. Been looking at the rifles that Ruger, Remington, Marlin and Browning have to offer. Does anyone shoot the Browning Semi Auto 22 Grade I rifle? What can you tell me about its accuracy and reliability? It is supposedly a classical design. The attributes that appeal to me are that it can be taken down for easy of storage and transport and it is bottom ejecting. I also plan to put a scope on it.

If I could only have 1 22LR Rifle it would be the Marlin 39A, it's a lever action so that's doesn't fit the Semi Auto, but I think everyone would own at least 1 lever action rifle. Now the Marlin 795 is a semi auto, pretty darn accurate and just over 100 bucks so it won't break the bank.

Don't forget Henry Rifles, made right here in NJ also and we even have someone on the forum that works there.

Now next question is how much are you looking to spend on the Rifle and Scope??

If you want to work at 100 yards, and you intend to scope the gun, a bolt-action is what you need. The next question is how much you want to spend. From appx $250 for a simple Savage or Mossberg to between $1K-$1.5K for a Cooper or Anschutz or the Anschutz-built Weatherby XXII. The Remingtons and CZ's fall somewhere in the middle.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

If I could only have 1 22LR Rifle it would be the Marlin 39A, it's a lever action so that's doesn't fit the Semi Auto, but I think everyone would own at least 1 lever action rifle. Now the Marlin 795 is a semi auto, pretty darn accurate and just over 100 bucks so it won't break the bank.

Don't forget Henry Rifles, made right here in NJ also and we even have someone on the forum that works there.

Now next question is how much are you looking to spend on the Rifle and Scope??

Thanks for the input. One of the reasons for considering the Browning is that I am a lefty and I like the idea of ejecting the spent shells out the bottom. For this purchase, I am interested in acquiring a semi-automatic rifle. My budget for this rifle & scope is in the $750 range. I looked at a site that featured Henry rifles, but Henry does not appear to make a semi-auto 22.

If you want to work at 100 yards, and you intend to scope the gun, a bolt-action is what you need. The next question is how much you want to spend. From appx $250 for a simple Savage or Mossberg to between $1K-$1.5K for a Cooper or Anschutz or the Anschutz-built Weatherby XXII. The Remingtons and CZ's fall somewhere in the middle.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

Yes - I definitely plan to scope the rifle.

Can you please tell me more why I should be looking at bolt action rifles? I"m a lefty and I find working the bolt action with my right hand to be awkward.

My budget at this point is in the $750 range, but I would entertain spending more if there is a better choice that meets my intended use.

Yes - I definitely plan to scope the rifle.

Can you please tell me more why I should be looking at bolt action rifles? I"m a lefty and I find working the bolt action with my right hand to be awkward.

My budget at this point is in the $750 range, but I would entertain spending more if there is a better choice that meets my intended use.

The Browning SA22 is a very nice gun but not really known for super accuracy. As a lefty there are many choices in left handed bolt action guns. Not so much in semi-autos.

For 3-6 hundred a Thompson Center 22 is a very accurate semi auto out of the box. Not the latest versions, but the TC Classic or TC R55. Or, you could join the hoards and get a Ruger 1022 and modify it. Scope choice is dependent on type of shooting you want to do. Anything from a inexpensive 3-9 power up to Benchrest scopes to 40+ X. I shoot a lot of 22 rifle and shoot mostly at 50 yards but occasionally 200 yards for laughs. At 200 the bullets drop almost 4 feet and a five MPH breeze will move it about two inches.

For the best accuracy, listen to Pizza Bob and get a bolt action rifle.

So, get a left-handed action. 100 yards is stretching the capability of a .22LR and a bolt-action optimizes the performance. Really depends on what you expect of a rimfire at 100 yards. Will you be happy with being able to hit a dinner-size paper plate? Or are you looking for a little more precision? If the latter, then a good bolt action is the way to go.

A lot of makers produce LH'd rimfires. A Savage Mk II in a laminated thumbhole stock with their accu-trigger would be a good choice, but look around and see what you can find in a LH'd action.

Again, for precision, you'll want decent glass. Something larger than your typical 3-9x with fixed parallax. Decent scopes with adjustable objective lens or side focus can be had. A Weaver V-16 might be a good choice here. Just suggestions.

The Browning semi-auto that you referenced in your OP is a neat little gun, and if plinking is what you had in mind, would serve that purpose well. But at 100 yards with a rimfire, it's a whole different ballgame. I might even go so far as to suggest - if you are afflicted with the "one-hole disease" as I am (you may better understand my perspective from that disclosure) - a .17 HMR. Rifle and scope the same, ammo costs higher, but a viable target gun at that range.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I really have to reccomend a Henry octo-barrel or Golden Boy. They make a fine rifle, and you can do everything from rapid shooting like a jerk for the fun of it, to shooting from a bench rest. You get close to the best of both worlds, since IMO, you can shoot much quicker than a bolt action if that is your thing.

Plus, they are ambidextrous, so if you ever want to take someone to the range that is a righty they can shoot too.

Top notch. I have a Golden Boy and I dont have a single complaint. The only bad things I ever hear are that people don't like the plastic front sight and barrel band on the round barrel model (most that complain upgrade them).

As far as I know, the Frontier is the same as my GB but with a black dovetailed receiver.