dgstinner

Mosin Nagant In Central Jersey

I know NJ Firearms guild in rahway has a few on their rack, not sure if hex reciver or not. - But they are asking 200+$ for them IIRC.

Also, bullseye tactical in woodbridge has a few, not sure if hex or price on them

It's hard to beat aimsurplus IMO, pay the extra 10 bucks for a hand picked one. I'd say it's pretty common for conditions on most the surplus mosin nagants to be pretty similar, even if they arent pristine they are still cool and have some nice ' used ' charecter on them. I wouldnt ( and havent ) thought twice about ordering a mosin sight unseen.

$200 for a mosin at NJFG? For real? Are they already cleaned and come with a can of ammo? That is nuts.

EBS, Bullseye, TJ Sporting Arms, Mastadon, Hackettstown all carry Mosins and had them in stock last I checked.

Worst case, do a price request.

$200 for a mosin at NJFG? For real? Are they already cleaned and come with a can of ammo? That is nuts.

EBS, Bullseye, TJ Sporting Arms, Mastadon, Hackettstown all carry Mosins and had them in stock last I checked.

Worst case, do a price request.

Im pretty sure, I remember being pretty shell shocked with thier surplus rifle pricing, Mosins were 200 or over, and i think 500+ for an SKS. All still covered in cosmo

200 for a Mosin? Better be a Finnish Mosin for that price.

I have purchased two from Butch's in Vineland for $110 a pop in the past year. Last time I was there, they only had a single round receiver in stock though. Their milsurp selection is very slim, unfortunately.

I find that its best to buy locally for Mosins, and get the ammo off the internet.

$500 for an SKS is also really high. I was eyeballing some Yugoslav and Soviet ones at Bob's in Glassboro a couple months ago, I believe they wanted around $340-400ish for them, depending on type.

IIRC a few months back I was in ShoreShot (for another transaction) and I *think* one of the guys said they could get them or have them in from time to time. I have three Mosins which were all purchased online. I have two 91/30’s, one round and the other is hex. The round receiver was my first from Bud’s Gunshop, it's not perfect but for $89 I can’t complain.

Then I purchased the hex M91/30 and M44, both are in great shape. One came from one came from Aim and the other was from Classicarms. Classic has currently “SELECT GRADE M91/30 HEX RECEIVER RIFLES” so if you wanted to roll the dice with an online purchase it might be worth it. FWIW I’ve purchased twice from ClassicArms and both times were nice easy transactions.

IIRC a few months back I was in ShoreShot (for another transaction) and I *think* one of the guys said they could get them or have them in from time to time. I have three Mosins which were all purchased online. I have two 91/30’s, one round and the other is hex. The round receiver was my first from Bud’s Gunshop, it's not perfect but for $89 I can’t complain.

Then I purchased the hex M91/30 and M44, both are in great shape. One came from one came from Aim and the other was from Classicarms. Classic has currently “SELECT GRADE M91/30 HEX RECEIVER RIFLES” so if you wanted to roll the dice with an online purchase it might be worth it. FWIW I’ve purchased twice from ClassicArms and both times were nice easy transactions.

Your experience is making me think that maybe purchasing online wouldn't be a bad idea. I would like to eventual have two Mosin Nagants - one round receiver and one hex. I'm still waiting to hear back from a few vendors on here before making my decision on which way to go.

Your experience is making me think that maybe purchasing online wouldn't be a bad idea. I would like to eventual have two Mosin Nagants - one round receiver and one hex. I'm still waiting to hear back from a few vendors on here before making my decision on which way to go.

If you would have told me 10 years ago I would be buying guns online I would have said “not me”, I would have thought it would be too hard and or extra paperwork but it is pretty much like buying in the local store. Off the top of my head I’ve purchased my last 7 rifles online and prior to that three hand guns. Some FFL’s charge too much so like anything else shop around.

As far as my Bud’s Mosin, it is what is. As mentioned above the Finnish Mosin seems to be the best of breed but they were running a little high for me, that said I really like my M44, it's one of my favorite carbines. BTW Please don’t let the username imply I’m a Mosin expert, I’m just fan as stated in the username. I get a big kick of out of these.

OT but I was going to get a C&R so I could by them Mosins and other old guns myself but just as I was going to summit the paper work but I found out NJ stymied the C&R license as with ALL our other goofy gun laws. Good luck with your Mosin, they are a blast to shoot

Sarco in Easton, PA. usually has Mosin's for $95-$99 but I believe they were all round receivers. If you want to see them before buying, try some of the gunshows in PA. I think I saw some Hex receiver Mosin's at the Split Rock show last weekend in the $120-$130 range.

Seems like these are popular rifles. What is the allure of this gun? Is it very accurate?

They are cheap and plentiful, for about $250-$300 you can get a rifle and 880 rounds of ammo

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=90&name=Russian+1891%2f30+7.62x54R+Mosin+Nagant+Rifles

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=A76254R&name=Russian+7.62x54R+147grn+FMJ+440rd+Can&groupid=40

i'm hijacking the thread a bit.

It's 1941 in Russia...

Germany decides to invade Russia. The Russian soldier manning the watch tower sees the Germans going towards the base. Tells his partner "Quick, alert the rest of the troops, get the ammo cans opened, and let's lock and load!"

The one soldier runs and tries to find the spam can opener and couldn't find it, so he had to scrounge around for some other tools to open it. After he found a screw driver, a hammer, and tin snips, he worked on the first can and opened one in 10 minutes. Needless to say, it was too late.

Well, this genius (me) encountered the same problem tonight and thought "How the hell did the Russians do it in the heat of battle, with bullets flying and bombs going off all over the place?"

the lesson...order 2 cans next time so you can get the wooden box and a damn opener for free! :lol:

Seems like these are popular rifles. What is the allure of this gun? Is it very accurate?

As already stated they are fun to shoot and cheap and more importantly to me is you get a piece of History for about $100. I'm pushing 55 and I get a kick out of shooting something older than me :) If you don’t have anything to do one night rent Enemy at the Gates, some say after the release of that movie that is when they really became popular. Over on THR here is one of many Mosin Nagant Threads if you are interested.

Safety First, for those just getting into Mosins (I'm no expert) but make sure you check your headspace before firing your Mosin. There are many youtube videos on the subject, more info here

EDIT: also check don't forget to check your firing pin adjustment

I WOULD NOT order one. I have an affliction for Mosins and fondle every one I see at gunshows. They range from purely shot out to 100% unissued. Print out the write up I did on picking a shooter in the C&R forum thats stickied and go to a gunshow or local shop. Support your local dealers and pick one out for yourself. If you want a good one you have to pick it out yourself. If not, it's just random luck of the draw

they are cheap, powerful and fun! what more do you want? most of them are good shooters, some very good. One of the mods here did some crazy azz shooting with one he worked on.

oooh oooh, me me me..... LOL

DSC00973.jpg

10 shots at 100 load testing

DSC00991.jpg

sighting in

DSC00974.jpg

newtargets.jpg