vmastro87

what kind of permit do you need to carry a weapon besides a gun?

I would say no because they are two different devices not one. I don't know what the law reads exactly but according to the information that I copied from the website you can carry multiple devices as long as they are not individually over 3/4 oz.

The law allows for one:

"... one pocket-sized device which contains and releases not more than three-quarters of an ounce ...”

Taking flight is always the best option if possible.......I know Realtors in PA....that CCW while doing "Open Houses" especially......and rightly so.

In NJ you are left at the mercy of your attackers and a 911 operator....just speak with any LEO off the record.....and they'll tell you.

Had an incident in Newark years ago where a traffic accident that happened right in front of my office door....one of the occupants in one of the cars came through the windshield on a head-on collision and was litterly out of the car laying on the hood....Called it in to the 911 operator and was hung up on / disconnected 3 times. Finally the 4th call they answered. Others in my office couldn't believe what they were witnessing.......Hmmm.

Taking flight is always the best option if possible.......I know Realtors in PA....that CCW while doing "Open Houses" especially......and rightly so.

In NJ you are left at the mercy of your attackers and a 911 operator....just speak with any LEO off the record.....and they'll tell you.

Had an incident in Newark years ago where a traffic accident that happened right in front of my office door....one of the occupants in one of the cars came through the windshield on a head-on collision and was litterly out of the car laying on the hood....Called it in to the 911 operator and was hung up on / disconnected 3 times. Finally the 4th call they answered. Others in my office couldn't believe what they were witnessing.......Hmmm.

I'd like more details on this if possible... PM is good.

Keep in mind that for major incidents such as a head-on collision, there are typically dozens of calls coming in and only a few people there to answer them.

I'm with those that recommended the Kimber Pepperblaster II. It is shaped like a gun for easy gripping and aiming. Dispersal is via a trigger mechanism and you have two shots. It is a gel, rather than a spray so has greater range, less airborne residual drift and a more tenacious "hold" on the target. Desantis makes a pocket holster for it and, from time to time, Midway puts both items on sale. Combined volume of the two shots is < .75 oz., thus NJ legal. Tactical pen is a good idea also.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Sounds interesting, even for a male to carry. I'll have to check it out.

I carry one.

d017fe51.jpg

8dcca1af.jpg

So is a realtor considered self-employed? And would an open house be considered a temporary place of business of said realtor?

Or would she have the right to carry within the confines of the open house because it is a private home???

Also, does anyone have experience using the Kimber blaster? It sure looks cool, but Gun Nuts (Shelley Rae) reviewed it and did not seem to like it due to the short blast and difficulty aiming (http://gunnuts.net/2011/10/21/effective-pepper-spray/)

I bet NJ laws would like to outlaw it too because it looks too much like a gun.

So is a realtor considered self-employed? And would an open house be considered a temporary place of business of said realtor?

Or would she have the right to carry within the confines of the open house because it is a private home???

Also, does anyone have experience using the Kimber blaster? It sure looks cool, but Gun Nuts (Shelley Rae) reviewed it and did not seem to like it due to the short blast and difficulty aiming (http://gunnuts.net/2...e-pepper-spray/)

I bet NJ laws would like to outlaw it too because it looks too much like a gun.

Because they do not own the property I would say no.. With that thought process any carpenter or plumber could carry at someones home because they are working on it.

I pocket carry the Pepper blaster so it's not conspicuous. Nobody notices it unless I tell them specifically.

It also is bright red - it's not going to be banned just because it "looks like a gun".

the problem is, we have laws that say you can't even carry something that "looks like a gun". it's the same law on immitation firearms that got a kid arrested for bringing a toy gun to school.

the problem is, we have laws that say you can't even carry something that "looks like a gun". it's the same law on immitation firearms that got a kid arrested for bringing a toy gun to school.

That's why it is bright red

It's legal. Nuff said.

Obviously that's just TOO Simple Bob...... The Pepper Blaster works, I personally prefer a can, BECAUSE the PB is limited to 2 uses. OC will work on about 90% of the population, but there is that 10% that just WONT be affected by it, Drunks and Dopers have limited response to it, because it functions mostly as a "Pain Compliance" device..Alcohol and narcotics suppress Pain Response, Limiting the effectiveness of OC..even then however the OC works as somewhat of a distraction device as well, allowing the potential victim to (Hopefully) Break free from the attacker and start putting some distance between her and him. While it isnt 100% perfect, it's the best there is right now here. Get her a couple of small OC sprays, one for her car, one for her Purse, one for her keys, hell one to hang next to the door of her home as well.

Anyone know if the pepper blaster is legal to carry in NYC?

I don't THINK so....IIRC NYC consideres Pepper spray to be a weapon..you'd have to check on that though. NY Home Town Forum on ARF would probably be the place to ask

To go back to the realtor and CCW thing...

I would be tempted to look at the situation from two perspectives...

1. She is self employed, ie her business, to keep it real clean, she is her own broker/agency, and not a realtor agent. To classify the open houses as place of business.

2. Realtor in crime ridden areas, does she have a justifiable need?

This being different from the situation of say you owning or going to collect rent on your mothers rental property.

To go back to the realtor and CCW thing...

I would be tempted to look at the situation from two perspectives...

1. She is self employed, ie her business, to keep it real clean, she is her own broker/agency, and not a realtor agent. To classify the open houses as place of business.

2. Realtor in crime ridden areas, does she have a justifiable need?

This being different from the situation of say you owning or going to collect rent on your mothers rental property.

While I personally thin k she would have that need..i know people who handle Large (and i mean LARGE) amounts of cash, and/or gems and precious metals who have been denied permits because the judge didnt think that their need was "Justifiable"... Once again the state never ceases to fail by making a requirement purely subjective in nature

Geeee............wasn't that "Justifiable Need" declaired unconstitutional in Maryland last week or so......where are those type judges here....?

Like looking for Hen's Teeth........

in a US DISTRICT Court..only applicable to that District, and If Appealed by the state (Which it will be), Non-Binding until it's heard or Rejected by a higher Court. SAF just had a similar case in NY for the same thing what was decided in the OPPOSITE direction by THAT District (which we are a part of BTW).....doesnt matter What State the hearing is in if it's a federal court.

thanks for all the feedback, my other question is if she got a CCW by some grace of omnipotent entity would she be able to carry a knife instead of a gun or does a CCW only qualify you for a handgun? i know that if you have gone that far to get one you might as well but j/w.

thanks for all the feedback, my other question is if she got a CCW by some grace of omnipotent entity would she be able to carry a knife instead of a gun or does a CCW only qualify you for a handgun? i know that if you have gone that far to get one you might as well but j/w.

Depends on what restrictions come with the CCW. I know you are talking about the PR of NJ, but CCW will vary from state to state and what restrictions on what you can vary also and honestly, I can't tell you what restrictions NJ has, I know other states I can carry in but not NJ,,, damn that just sounds sad, but what sadder than that, I don't know because I can't get one in my home states but have 3 states CCW's... :facepalm:

in a US DISTRICT Court..only applicable to that District, and If Appealed by the state (Which it will be), Non-Binding until it's heard or Rejected by a higher Court. SAF just had a similar case in NY for the same thing what was decided in the OPPOSITE direction by THAT District (which we are a part of BTW).....doesnt matter What State the hearing is in if it's a federal court.

FYI - NY is in the 2nd district with VT and CT. NJ is in the 3rd district with PA, DE and USVI

http://www.uscourts....rt_locator.aspx

Just a thought if the tactical pen is not her liking, how about a phillips head screw driver or regular flat head screw driver in her purse. Both make nice stabbing weapons and can be used in a home to tighten an outlet to cover plate during a pre-walk through.

you do not need a CCW license to carry a knife.. so I am going to say no.. it is for a gun..

in the odd event that she was granted a CCW permit in NJ I can not imagine a situation in which it would be better to have a knife VS a gun... think about the mental and physical effort to shoot someone.. you are pointing at them and pulling a trigger.. there is no physical contact.. and the pressure needed to use the weapon is that which is exerted onto the trigger.. stabbing someone to death is far more personal and physically involved..

I would definitely not carry a knife if you have the ability to carry something else. The winner of a knife fight is the one that is still alive when they leave the hospital.

Certainly it's better than nothing, and a few years ago I used a knife to get myself out of a possibly dangerous situation. I never had to use it, but something about someone following me in Wilkes-Barre didn't sit right, reached for my knife and looked for a way out, and he seemed to lose interest.