RedBowTies88

Barrel shortening..

i honestly dont know first hand but from what ive seen online when people pay someone to shorten their barrel its always been 120+ ...you should really just get a carbine, as long as you dont get a collectible one to beat up...theres still millions more mosins out there.

You're in Cape May. Do you feel like shipping the rifle or bringing it up to Mastodon?

Does anybody know how the front sight is attached? Pinned or silver soldered?

Not a big deal.

OP - Are you going to handle carving up the wood?

If you're interested PM me.

from experience it is a pain in the arse in a regular 91/30 mosin. The front sight dovetail on a 91/30 is milled into the barrel. To shorten and add a front sight you will need to track down a m38 front sight that just pins on. After finding the new front sight it isn't too hard, just a matter of chopping the barrel and recrowning.

You're in Cape May. Do you feel like shipping the rifle or bringing it up to Mastodon?

Does anybody know how the front sight is attached? Pinned or silver soldered?

Not a big deal.

OP - Are you going to handle carving up the wood?

If you're interested PM me.

I don't mind taking it somewhere, specially now that its getting nice out I can just throw it on the bike and take a ride. I also don't mind doing the wood work. considering one of those synthetic montie carlo stocks but I think that'll be plab B if I FUBAR the original stock.

also I think im going to add the turn down bolt. Basically looking to do this but with irons and without shortening the stock.

from experience it is a pain in the arse in a regular 91/30 mosin. The front sight dovetail on a 91/30 is milled into the barrel. To shorten and add a front sight you will need to track down a m38 front sight that just pins on. After finding the new front sight it isn't too hard, just a matter of chopping the barrel and recrowning.

Couldn't a smith just a** a blade sight or something? not really going for fancy here lol.

What he said...............

Not only cutting it down....you need to get the front sight on...then crown the muzzle etc...HARDLY worth it for a 91/30..M44 better choice and easier....

or just get an enfield No5 Jungle carbine.......... :)

Love mine and they shoot great...brute force reliability.......

I love enfields and m44's... I love 91/30's to I just wont feel bad about abusing it like I would with an enfield or factory carbine. Plus its cool to have a rifle you customed up yoursef... even if it is a bit of a bubba project.

I saw an episode of gunsmoke last night where they "sporterized" a rifle. My 91/30 has a perfect back section of the stock. The front is a but scarred and chopped up. The rear sight broke off as well. So this looked perfect. I can do the woodwork and cutting the barrel wont be a problem. I know the rifle works so really the only issue i see is crowning the barrel. Should i send the gun out for it or just buy the tool and do it

Have few Mosins, one is original, one cut barrel down to 24" this one was interesting. Had to cut barrel down because after 20 rounds the POI would drift. One with a heavy barrel, put on a Chek machine gun barrel on, had to do some turning on the OD. This one will hold a 2" group at 200 yards.

Did all work my self, working on Mosin is easy and fun.

Would include pic's but do not know how, computers are to complicated.

Edited by snake913