Sign in to follow this  
223lover

Soc Sec # on Permit to purchase

I just sold a safe queen S&W 659 a few days ago, and was wondering the crew's opinion on the fact that I had to put my social security number as well as my SBI info on the the buyers permit. It was ok for me as I sold it to a friend, but suppose you (or I) sold it to a stranger? The purchaser may be ok but now a total stranger has both those importaant bits of information.

Would the State Police come or call if I left those lines blank? One would think that in the age of identity theft, the SP would come up with a better way to ID the seller besides putting my SS number on a document that Lord knows who will see.

Thoughts?

For future reference, disclosure on a State/County/Local level is required only for tax, "general public assistance," driver's license, and registration.

Any other use by a State/County/Local agency is voluntary and the form on which the SSN is requested must state that it is voluntary and the reason(s) it is being requested.

You do not need to provide your SSN at any time when apply for an FID, PPP, on the 4473, or on a PPP. However, not providing it on any form could potentially cause problems because if the form is entered into a database, it is possible the SSN is used as the key. Also not providing SSN on forms that are used for a background check may cause problems if someone with a similar name and/or birthday has records turn up.

As others said it is voluntary. F2F I wouldn't do it. For purchases from a FFL/dealer I do include it, though I may stop doing that as I don't ever recall the dealer needing to read off my SSN to NICS. Only the SBI.