Ian S

Ortgies Pocket Pistol Disassembly

There is some interesting history available on the internet all about the Ortgies Pocket Pistol. A very in depth article was written for Gun Collectors Digest by Donald W. Koelliker which can be found at www.ortgies.net/ortgies0015.htm

These were developed by Heinrich Ortgies around 1915 or 1916 and he began manufacturing them in Germany after WWI, 1919. He passed away shortly after and production was taken over by Deutsch Werke, continuing throughout the 20's.

One subject that is conspicuously absent from the web is a full take down instruction. When I purchased a set of springs for a 6.35mm version of the Ortgies as a service pack from Wolff Springs, the only complete instruction I found was posted by Glenn B, in the comments at http://ballseyesboome...ies-32.html?m=1. A complete exploded view is available at

http://www.weu1918-1939.pl/piechota/osobista/ortiges/ortiges_7.gif

Following those instructions, I wanted to make my contribution to steps for a full takedown with pictures. If you are replacing springs for your Ortgies pocket pistol, here is what you need to know:

At first look, note the Ortgies has a unique safety activation. The button below the slides serrations will activate the safety if the striker is cocked. The grip safety springs to the rear and is deactivated by pushing the backstrap forward, as when gripping the gun to fire.

001.jpg

Remove the magazine and verify the chamber is clear.

The button is the takedown catch. Place a finger over the back of the slide to prevent the firing pin spring and guide from flying out during this step. Pull the slide back until the front slide serration is about even with the rear of the frame and depress the button. This will allow the slide to be lifted up and clear of the rails.

Allow the slide to move forward and slide it off the barrel.

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

The firing pin/striker, spring and guide can be remove from the slide. Note there is a lug on the right side of the firing pin/striker and it must be removed at the notch groove position of the slide.

The recoil spring can be removed.

That is the recommended end of field stripping and all you need to do to do geaneral cleaning of the gun.

006.jpg

Personally, I like to go one step further to clean the barrel by removing it from the frame also. Rotate the barrel 90 degrees counter clockwise and separate it from the frame.

007.jpg

008.jpg

Now, the Ortgies has no screws. It does have a unique method to secure the grips to the frame. There is a hidden, spring loaded catch midway into the magazine well. Do not try to pry or force the grips off or you could certainly crack the thin wood that sits in the catch. Use a non-marring tool to push the catch rearward and allow the grips to drop off the frame.

009.jpg

Next, with the grips removed, you will find the grip safety pin in the bottom corner of the frame. Push it out of the frame.

010.jpg

The grip safety is now free at the bottom, but is engaged at the takedown button. Press the takedown button and slide out the grip safety from the frame.

011.jpg

• Like 1

012.jpg

The takedown button can now be removed from the frame

013.jpg

Now, the magazine release and the the grip catch can be removed from the frame by removing the second pin in the frame that was below the grips. I'm skipping this step in the pics, but here it is.

014.jpg

Next the Sear, Sear Spring, Disconnector and Disconnector Spring can be removed from the frame. Grasp the sear, push inward from the frame and the integral pin in the side of the sear can be cleared fro the frame.

015.jpg

Rotate the assembly up and work the disconnector out of the frame.

016.jpg

017.jpg

The disconnector and disconnector spring can be removed from the sear. Again, I'm skiping that in the pictures. Removing the disconnector can be a delicate task to clear the spring from the sear assembly.

Most importantly, do not bend the long sear spring out of tolerance. That spring is not part of the Wolff service pack. Deforming the sear spring will prevent the trigger from resetting properly.

018.jpg

Now, push the trigger pin out of the frame.

019.jpg

And rotate the bottom of the trigger forward to remove it from the frame. Keep an eye on the trigger spring and plunger as it comes out with the trigger.

020.jpg

021.jpg

• Like 1

Finally, to replace the last spring in the package, you have the spring loaded extractor of the Ortgies. The extractor pin runs trough the slide top to bottom. Push up from the bottom side and remove the pin.

022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

The extractor spring sits laterally in the slide.

That's it. Now it all goes back together in reverse order.

025.jpg

One unique note for reassembling the Ortgies is to compress the firing pin spring before placing the slide onto the frame. Note the notch in the slide along the firing pin's cutout.

026.jpg

Push the spring and guide until it sits in the notch.

027.jpg

Keep your finger over the back of the slide as you place it on to the frame so the compressed spring and guide does not pack up and leave home.

028.jpg

Now, I've seen some comments about the firing pin projecting when the slide is retracted. That is completely normal as the pin doubles as the ejector. When a casing is being ejected during the blowback cycle, the extractor pulls the case until the exposed pin pushes the case out of the gun. The striker/pin catches on the sear and the slide loads the next round into the chamber.

<029.jpg

• Like 1

Finally, though the magazine spring is also not included in the Wolff service pack, let's touch on the magazine disassembly.

030.jpg

First, compress the spring by pushing down on the follower. Block the spring through the indicator holes.

031.jpg

With the spring blocked, pull the follower up and forward, out the top of the magazine.

032.jpg

Block the top of the magazine and release the spring and remove the spring.

033.jpg

034.jpg

I hope that's useful to someone.

• Like 2

j0n, thanks, it's the instructions in your signature that made these posts possible.

david, thanks. I keep coming back over these posts to browse the pictures, cause let's face it, I love how gun parts fit together.

GRIZ, thanks, it's a small world.