Sign in to follow this  
zuke

Colt Python

Ok now that I am not driving, can reply.

First, do you really want a python? Collectible? Shooter?

If collectible, sure. If shooter, get a trooper mark 3 or king cobra. Great shooters, stronger guns, less to repair, a lot cheaper.

Contact the vendors and let them know you are looking for one, so that when they get one, they will call you.

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk.

Last time I was at Tanner's (in PA) they had two engraved Pythons. Ran in the $2600 to $2900 range. One blued, one nickel and one four inch and one six inch - don't remember which went with which.

Is there anything special about these revolvers that make them worth so much. I mean I know they don't make them anymore, and they are good guns, but what makes them so collectable?

Is there anything special about these revolvers that make them worth so much. I mean I know they don't make them anymore, and they are good guns, but what makes them so collectable?

4 letters

C-O-L-T

Hand crafted/fit and the sweetest single action trigger in a revo.

Not just because I'm a S&W fanboy, but any D/A revolver can have a great single action trigger - I've got Smiths that are safe, but you can practically blow on the trigger to drop the hammer.

The Python's claim to fame was supposed to be its great double action trigger. I've shot them and I wasn't impressed. They are aestheiticly one of the nicest looking guns and that coupled with the fact they no longer make them, is what drives the prices.

Beware - before you spend a ton of money on a nice, but plain jane python, both Smith and Colt have been known to put things back into production - which hurts any collector value. Colt has done it several times with the SAA and Smith blued N-frames are currently enjoying a rebirth.

Nice guns, but not something that gets my panties in a bunch.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Colt pythons always were expensive, even when they were still in production, as Ray said because they are Colts. I bought a S&W 586 in the early 90's for about $350, the Pythons were about $650 in those days. The Colt had the nicer finish, but Smiths were know to be the better made lesser priced alternative and Rugers were under $300. Now S&W is the premium revolver brand on the market, Ruger is the cheaper but still quality brand, and Taurus is the inexpensive alternative.

Colt pythons always were expensive, even when they were still in production, as Ray said because they are Colts. I bought a S&W 586 in the early 90's for about $350, the Pythons were about $650 in those days. The Colt had the nicer finish, but Smiths were know to be the better made lesser priced alternative and Rugers were under $300. Now S&W is the premium revolver brand on the market, Ruger is the cheaper but still quality brand, and Taurus is the inexpensive alternative.

And yet people still will spend that kind of bread for a Colt.

A lot of makers put old firearms back in production. Most of them are not made the same way they were.

New SW revolvers are not made the same way as the old. They added lock and use cheaper parts.

Sig 210 Legend is nothing like the original Sig 210.

Newer P series Sigs are not as well made as the older German ones. They did a rerun of the 225 last year and even though they were made in Germany they are still inferior to the original ones in quality.

SW PPK is crap compared to the older ones.

I think there are tons of examples like this. Looking at the quality of current production Colt 1911, even if they were to make the Python again. It will not the the same quality. Considering these are put together by hand by their Custom Shop, it will not be cheap if they start production again. $1500 to $2000 is not a great price for the original Python but I think it's fair.

I learned to shoot on a Colt Python when I was ten years old so I am a little sentimental towards that revolver. I still have that one since it was handed down to me years ago. Beautiful finish and the lines give it a coolness factor all its own. Its more of a collectors item then anything else. When I want to shoot revolver I will shoot one of my older S&W 686s.