Hello I need help getting this in perspective!! I am 20 yrs old, I have my FID Card and I have two handgun purchase permits. I bought a handgun and have completed the transaction fully, but the dealer can't give me the gun because I am 21!!! WTF!!!! how is this possible? How did I get the Purchase permit in the first place? is there a way around this? I need some help here!!!

the dealer can't give me the gun because I am 21 20!!!

Fixed it for you (according to your initial statement). Your dealer is following the law. It was your local PD that screwed-up. How long before you are 21?

The PD screwed up, the NJ regulations (as well as the federal ones) say no handguns before 21. It is nice to know you can be sent to war and be issued a handgun but you can't buy one yourself, no?

Or mature enough to make life and death decisions while under fire half a world away,... but have yourself a beer? No way.

If you turn 21 before the 6 months (90 day permit window and 90 day extension) you will be lucky enough to get it before you have to reapply for another permit. You will either have to wait for your Bday or get a refund and wait... even if you were to get the handgun by a fault of both the pd and the FFL... YOU would also be breaking the law by unlawfully owning a handgun. It's not worth trying to get around it because there are no legal workarounds.

Ouch, according to his profile he turned 20, 4 days ago. Get a refund from the dealer, and tell your local pd what the heck guys. Or if your dad, brother, friend has a FID and pp, maybe you could transfer it(sell it) to one of them.

Ah boy , that stinks. I'm surprised they did not catch that on the PP. When will you turn 21? Did you discuss a refund with the dealer?

I turn 21 Next year in March. Yea that's the other part is the dealer won't refund it because he had to order it!!

(as well as the federal ones) say no handguns before 21. It is nice to know you can be sent to war and be issued a handgun but you can't buy one yourself, no?

Just so you guys know th federal crap on this only applies to gun dealers selling, there is no federal law for owning a handgun at age 18. There are plenty of state where it is legal for someone who is 18 to buy a handgun through a personal sale.

I agree 100% with WTF with not being able to buy a handgun, but you can go to war. This is what you get when you let stupid people vote unfortunately.

Tell the forum what dealer and what model handgun, and maybe someone is looking for the same model and will purchase it instead of you, so that you don't lose any money and the dealer isn't out either. If you had to order it, chances are someone else on these forums will be interested.

I was issued 2 pistol permits when I was 18 (1988)

the rule then was, I was able to purchase used handguns, but not new-which I did, one from a LEO ftf, and one from an FFL

Is this still the case?

Dave T

If you already paid, in full, he should hold onto it for you at no extra cost. He has none of his money in the gun, so why should he care? Its not like its a vehicle taking up tons of space. If I have a customer send me a gun for a transfer and they dont pick it up for a few months due to other pistols/whatever, what do I care? Its not my money tied up.

A Sig Sauer Mosquito? Don't feel so bad, it probably would have taken you a year to get it to work right anyway.

I've put around 700 rounds through my new Mosquito, without cleaning it, without a single (absolutely 0) FTF, FTE or any other kind of issue at all. It's a great gun.