Anyone besides me store their guns this way, or am I the only one crazy enough? I'm no carpender but I think I did ok. Needed more room as I had long outgrown my old rifle rack. Only problem is now I have room for 3 more long guns and we can't just leave open spaces can we? :D

newrack.jpg

This is the new one, I was going to stain it but then decided not to. I like it the way it looks

Old one below

oldrack.jpg

I'm sure I'll probably get a lot of crap for not keeping them in a safe, but I will say that the crime rate here is very low. Also there are no minors in the house ever. When I leave the magazines are stored somewhere seperate from the guns.

• Like 1

Looks good. Not bad for someone claiming they aren't a carpenter. I know I couldn't do something like that.

Little suggestion, take some felt, or piece of foam and glue it to the wood where the barrel of your rifles/shotguns sit so if they move around the edges of the wood won't mar the finish.

Nice Rack! Thanks for sharing I think that's a pretty slick set up.

Thanks man! I really like being able to look at my guns. Not to mention for HD they're right there ready to roll.

Looks good. Not bad for someone claiming they aren't a carpenter. I know I couldn't do something like that.

Little suggestion, take some felt, or piece of foam and glue it to the wood where the barrel of your rifles/shotguns sit so if they move around the edges of the wood won't mar the finish.

I swear man I'm really not very good at woodworking. I just got lucky and all my measurments came out correctly and then drilling and screwing and sanding are no bid deal. I do like engineering things if you can even call designing a shelf that. But hey I love how it turned out.

This picture was from the night I finished it up, just wanted to get all the guns on it for a pic. I actually used a old bicycle inner tube against the wood where the barrel touches to keep it looking nice. Little hot glue and scissor time and wula.

Those slots just need to be filled though! My wife is against me getting a bigger cabinet and/or safe just because she knows I will fill that one up too. :D

Yea I just have this urge to fill up the old rack :D I'm thinking SKS for sure, probably an 8mm mauser, and the 3rd im still unsure of

Never thought I would say this to anyone but a woman, but Nice Rack.. :icon_mrgreen:

Thanks,...I think? ;)

I love how we're saying "those slots need to be filled" and "nice rack" to a guy :)

I know I could loose a little weight but I don't think that rack is quite worth of its own thread on the NJGF

I have a working original Winchester 1873 on the wall in my living room.

So, yes, I do the same thing.

Awesome, a nice levergun is definitly on my list

I will also say nice rack. If you haven't yet at least put a few coats of clear finish on it to help seal the wood. A water base finish will help keep the wood looking as natural as possible.

Think thats needed for an indoor piece like this? I really do not have much of a clue when it comes to woodworking.

Observations and suggestions.

Did you brace the "fingers" that are in between each rifle?

The way the wood grain is laid out, they might be easy to snap off.

Maybe a small mending plate on the underside for some support.

Did you put some kind of sealer (shellac or poly) on the rack?

Humidity will cause thin pieces of wood to warp.

Sealer avoids the warpage, and wil help keep the wood ding free.

Looks Good

Thanks for the advice, I guess I need to look into some sealer.

The fingers are just wood and while cutting out the notch with my hole saw I did break one off as some wood got caught and smacked arund. I've since fixed it with some wood glue. They are actually pretty strong. I could definitly break them off if I tried however I have a hard time seeing that happen by accident. 3/4 pine 1-1/2 wide probably 6'' long or so.

Ver nice! I someday hope to have my home office turned into a gun room/lounge where I can put the goodies on display. Would be nice to start my days working from home looking at some of my favorite things! Not to mention when my daughter grows up I can have her bring her boyfriends over to meet me while I'm hanging in my "office"!