Matt

Are there any shops that will "hold" your guns for you for a fee?

Has anyone heard of anything like this? I may have to move to an apartment that has a "no firearms" clause in the lease for one year (I already hashed this whole thing out in the legal forum to see if I had any other options). Assuming I actually can't have the guns with me, is there any way to tranfer them to a shop or gun smith, pay them a fee to hold them for me for a year and then get them back when I move back to the area? It doesn't have to be this exact situation but I dont have any gun friends that I can transfer them to so looking for other options. Thanks -

Has anyone heard of anything like this? I may have to move to an apartment that has a "no firearms" clause in the lease for one year (I already hashed this whole thing out in the legal forum to see if I had any other options). Assuming I actually can't have the guns with me, is there any way to tranfer them to a shop or gun smith, pay them a fee to hold them for me for a year and then get them back when I move back to the area? It doesn't have to be this exact situation but I dont have any gun friends that I can transfer them to so looking for other options. Thanks -

for a ffl to hold them in their safe, they must list them in their A&D book, therefore you must have a nics check done to get them back..........not worth it in my oponion

• Like 1

I would want to keep them at a parent's/friends house. There would need to be a fee for the storage and for that, I would rather just take it to a relative and make it for free. Just me.

C

^^^^. If you hand a gun to an FFL to hold for you he/she must transfer it to their business and you will need a P2P to transfer it back to you later. Also, since it is legally no longer your gun you can not use it unless that FFL goes to a range and brings it there for you. Some may do this, check with Paul (PK90) or Tony (tj462nj), but don't count on it.

Dealers can keep firearms at a location other than the licensed premises, so why not a non-licensee? Buy a safe and keep it somewhere else. Or you can do what most of us would, keep them at your apartment no matter what the lease says.

Dealers can keep firearms at a location other than the licensed premises, so why not a non-licensee? Buy a safe and keep it somewhere else. Or you can do what most of us would, keep them at your apartment no matter what the lease says.

How would your land lord know if you had guns in the apartment? Unless your moving 2-3 20+ gun safes in with you, I don't see how they would know if they were stored in the apartment.

Wow. Do you guys really feel that way and would you really go through with that?

Wow. Do you guys really feel that way and would you really go through with that?

Yes - I would get a safe and keep them at a family member's house, someone I could trust. Last resort would bring them to the apartment and be careful about it. If I had to do that and was really worried about it, I would search for another apartment while living there.

Have you talked to the landlord yet? I would try that first . Did you sign this lease yet? Like I said in the other thread I would strike and initial it and see what the landlord says , or just try talking to him.

If you belong to any NJ clubs , can you locker your guns at the range ( place of training ?)

Sorry you are going through this . You have a Constitutional right to own and keep your guns. It isn't like they are saying no pets or smoking.

Yes, I would. I am a US citizen who has 2A rights. Unless the law states I can't have the guns in my rented/leased dwelling, the guns would be with me. My guns, my responsibility, my a$$ if somehow they ended up in the wrong hands because where they were being stored was burglarized or the "keeper of the arms" went bonkers and decided to use my guns to commit a crime.

Please understand I don't say this to be insulting. I own my house so if I ended up in a situation where I had to move into a building with a lease clause stating no firearms, in my case it would have to be because of a financial issue or a disaster wiping out my home. If it happened to me because of finances, odds are I would have sold my guns to feed my family. In the case of a fire or other disaster, it's a crap shoot as to weather or not the weapons survived the incident. Depends on the severity of the event.

I would keep them on me, what the landlord doesn't know doesn't hurt him, but its a load of bull anyway, you have a constitutional right to have them plus the law states that you must have them in your residence unless you are going to a place to shoot them.

That is a bs policy. Look for another place to rent, or just stick them in your closet, on the down low. If you have 50+ guns, and a lot of ammo it might be more difficult but like everyone else said, the law is clear your firearms must be kept at your residencey. Just be careful if you go to the range every weekend, you gotta be all incognito like.

Edited: Used the wrong word, and don't want to recite incorrect laws.

I was referring to the part I had bolded, but thanks.

Ray, you have to understand, the 2 in bold you marked down are nothing more than a suggestion, Matt said he only going to be there for a year, can he look for alternatives, maybe, but tell you what, he has an option to not move there, but that may not really be an option, could be cost, distance etc that really has him looking at this place. Now as far as your bold highlight, it really doesn't matter, like in the other thread, he can talk to the person, amend the agreement etc, and at worst he moves in and says the heck with it, I'm keeping my guns there. The worst thing that can happen is, if found out in the first place is he is asked to move. It's not like anyone is telling him, or he is breaking any laws.

Ray you really need to give it a rest with this, you getting too upset over this, not a single person told anyone to break a LAW, not the lease I feel is BS and is a violation of peoples 2A rights but we can save that for another thread.

????? Was there mention of Minors in this or the other thread living with him??? If so, I must have missed that....

If you are referring to my use of the word, 'secure' your firearms, that wasn't the proper word I was looking for. I should have said your firearms must be in your residence, not that they have to locked in a safe or kept unloaded or anything like that. If that is what you're referring to, my mistake.

While I don't condone just hiding the guns in your apartment , I also do not think a landlord should be able to strip someone of a constitional right , anymore than they can break equality laws.

They can ask you not to smoke even though it is legal and not to have pets even though that is legal as well..becuase these things can destroy property. Plus , there is not a specific ammendment to the Constitution allowing you to smoke anywhere you want and have your dog anywhere you want.

I hold denying a Constitutional Right in order to live somewhere right up there with discriminating based on race , gender , sexual orientation. It's just on a bigger scale in my mind than no smoking , no pets , etc.

If it were me I would probably strike it and write a well thought out letter explaining it is a Constitutional Right and that by precluding you from keeping your guns they are forcing you to either store your posessions illegally or part with them .

The landlord may not know the law in NJ , he may not know you can't by law just leave your handguns ( if you have them ) at a friend or relatives house. Tell him what they cost , what you will have to go through in order to store them , the permit process..he may not know all this stuff and if he is decent he may allow it to be striken from the lease .

And if he still says no , I would look for someplace else to live while I had my guns stored at an FFL. I guess. I don't know.

It is easy to say you would do "the right thing" when it isn't you who has to apply for and burn permits just to get back your own guns from an FFL. If OP does eveything according to the lease , he wil not be able to go to the range , participate in any organized activity unless he borrows a gun off someone else who is there , or use his guns for HD . For a year. The other option is to have a friend or family member hold his handguns ( is that legal???) or ignore the clause on his lease that says no firearms.

As much as it is a sense of entitlement to think you can hide the weapons in the apartment anyway , so is it a sense of entitlement by the Leasor to feel they can strip you of a right given to you by your country if you want to rent their propert. If they are renting to the public , they have to observe certain laws like discrimination , and your basic rights as a citizen..any business conducting itself in the public sector has to follow these laws..people renting do too. It just illustrates how Right To Bear Arms is the red headed stepchild of the ammendments. It would not fly if it was Freedom of Speech , Religious Freedom , or any of the other ammendments and Constitutional rights he was stripping tenants of.

I would fight the clause , and nicely point out he is stripping you of a Constitional Right as a condition of leasing their property.

NJ cracks me up. We have all these unconstitutional laws on the books that everyone is so worried about following and then people will cry out about it being unconstitutional when it is not. My house is my property, the landlord owns the property he is rentng, bottom line you make up the rules on your property. I am not infringing anyones rights if I do not allow a single firearm on my property be it carried by a guest or a renter.

As for a place to store your gun. Don't let this fuckered up state bend you this way. Either talk to the landlord about the lease or just bring your guns anyway.

If it was me their is no way I'd roll naked into that apartment. I lived in an apartment a year ago when I was waiting to buy my house and I didn't bring ally guns out of convenience. But I still had some. The others I locked up at my father in laws.