Sign in to follow this  

many, many years ago, I was issued permits for, and bought two used handguns at the age of 18,

I was told

used=18

new=21

one was face to face from an LEO (at the police station) the other from an FFL

Both the LEO and FFL called ATF to confirm legality in my presence, not sure if this is still the case

Dave T

in other states you can legally, in NJ its more of a gray area. as is everything

Sorry, I don't see the gray area in the NJ statute at all.

2C:58-3.

a. Permit to purchase a handgun. No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of, nor receive, purchase, or otherwise acquire a handgun unless the purchaser, assignee, donee, receiver or holder is licensed as a dealer under this chapter or has first secured a permit to purchase a handgun as provided by this section.

c.tab.gifWho may obtain. No person of good character and good repute in the community in which he lives, and who is not subject to any of the disabilities set forth in this section or other sections of this chapter, shall be denied a permit to purchase a handgun or a firearms purchaser identification card, except as hereinafter set forth. No handgun purchase permit or firearms purchaser identification card shall be issued:

(4)tab.gifTo any person under the age of 18 years for a firearms purchaser identification card and to any person under the age of 21 years for a permit to purchase a handgun;

You MUST have a PPP to buy a handgun, you MUST be 21 to get a PPP.

Even if somehow you legally came into possession of a handgun under the age of 21 (I think inheritance may be the only legal way), you can't buy ammo for it at all in NJ.

I believe a individual could get one inherited or gifted, they'd be buying the ammunition for a carbine though obviously. Im not sure if they'd even be able to take the pistol the range on their own though either. Any gun law in this state is in the gray area IMO, our fate falls in the hands of a judge.

If I remember correctly, it used to be that a 18-20 yr old could buy a pistol from a private person, but that all changed at some point during the Whitman years. I could be wrong, but I think it may have been connected to the statute that required trigger locks to be sold with each gun.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• olight.jpg

Use Promo Code "NJGF10" for 10% Off Regular Items

• Supporting Vendors

• Latest Topics

• Similar Content

• By Decastro458
      Hello, new owner of a handgun in NJ. Had a question for all of you experts out there! I keep seeing all these different things online so I have an suv so the trunk area is accessible to the back seat area. From my understanding, it needs to be locked in a case and its fine to be in the trunk of my suv? Also my other question.. the ammo.. that needs to be in a separate case? Does it need to have a lock on it or can it just be a bag with a zipper?
    • By bhunted
      A fellow forum was asking about a display case for his wife’s pistol I believe. So I decided after seeing some display cases for insane prices, to make my own out of more or less cheap prices. 
      This one will be for my Nighthawk Custom Falcon 1911.
      I started out with a humidor I had when I was on a cigar kick with the club.
      Humidors make perfect cases for your gun. 
      Why? Its designed to keep moisture in so your cigars don’t dry out. Ones that are well made have a nice tight seal.
      ‘But John, we don’t want to keep moisture in. It will hurt the gun’. Correctomundo! But using it to keep moisture out works too! If you are not a cigar smoker, a humidor keeps the cigars from drying out by putting a moisture pad inside. We simply won’t be using the moisture pad nor the cheapo humidity gauge they usually give you.
      So lets start. One used but still in great shape humidor with glass lid. If you don’t have one, you can pick up something decent for about $50. I added a lik leather NH tag to use to open lid. They are air tight and easier to open with something to grab.

If you use a humidor, they sometimes come with a lil shelf and divider. Toss them.
      Next, we added a little antique bronze clasp. 5 for $12 on Amazon. They come with tiny wood screws. You’ll need a jeweler type phillips head and a small awl to start a hole. Do not screw in without a starter hole. Also a mini pad lock with skeleton key.

Next, you’ll want something to lay in there like velvet. I chose purple velvet. Rather than buy it by the yard, I actually got 2 - 14”x14” pillow shams with zippers on Amazon for about $11...
      This is a lot cheaper than buying it by the yard plus you don’t gave to sew anything. Just stuff it and zip it.

You will need something to stuff it. That is your choice. I already had a bag of poly fill from another project. You can even rio open al old pillow and use the guts.

Next is rechargeable Silica packs. I got a 25 count bag cheap also on Amazon. I chose to line the bottom of the case and also throw some inside the sham.

Once you beat it and adjust it to get in the right position, you can see how the gun sits and adjust as needed.
      Next is optional and not cheap. I picked up 2 - Sensor Push bluetooth temp/humidity sensors for $50 each. One for the box and one for my safe. After calibrating them and pairing them to my phone, I inserted one into the display case.

You don’t have to do this but I’m a bit of a tech nerd so.... [emoji6]
      You can also use a cheap digital one too.
      This one transmits data and stores 20 points which you can set alarms in the app if moisture increases. Kind of more important in my safe but....[emoji16]
      Here is a sample of the data. I just put them in so it will take time to level off.

That’s pretty much it. Outside of the sensors, its cheap, easy and looks great. You can fo crazy with it or go simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • By Gunnz
      Guess the state has a new system for pistol permits and FID cards?!?

• By stuckinNJ
      I think the ban went into effect this month per this FB post. Looks like NJSP has updated the COE Form to include a NICS number: https://www.njsp.org/firearms/pdf/sp-634_20180914.pdf 
      What are people doing now?
    • By remixer
      For Sale: Hammerli Xesse 115mm 22lr - Pre-Owned
      $570.00 plus NJ Nics (15.00) and NJ Tax
      Mint condition.
      Universal Hi-Grip, Adjustable rear sight, Positive double-pull trigger ,10-shot magazine, Disassembly possible without tools ,Comes with a plastic case and second magazine