cisurfer999

Owning an m4 and getting a Job as a LEO

I recently purchased a Springfield xdm handgun and a bushmaster m4a3 nj legal gun. I've been trying to get on the job and unfortunately need to start checking out of state. My father freaked out when I told him about the m4. He went on saying when they find out about me owning this gun they won't hire me because they'll think in crazy for owning it. It is NJ legal so what does everyone think about this hurting my chances getting hired anywhere as a LEO?

I recently purchased a Springfield xdm handgun and a bushmaster m4a3 nj legal gun. I've been trying to get on the job and unfortunately need to start checking out of state. My father freaked out when I told him about the m4. He went on saying when they find out about me owning this gun they won't hire me because they'll think in crazy for owning it. It is NJ legal so what does everyone think about this hurting my chances getting hired anywhere as a LEO?

As far as I'm concerned (and I say this with the highest level of respect), you have to be a little bit "crazy" to put your life on the line each and every day, with so little thanks and so little respect from the public anymore, not to mention the bad-guys trying their damnest to ruin your day. Good luck and I hope things work out for you.

As far as I'm concerned (and I say this with the highest level of respect), you have to be a little bit "crazy" to put your life on the line each and every day, with so little thanks and so little respect from the public anymore, not to mention the bad-guys trying their damnest to ruin your day. Good luck and I hope things work out for you.

How in the world does this opinion answer the op's question?

Some agencies have firearms related questions on their personal history statement, and some don't. I know from someone who just when through the NJSP recruitment song and dance, that they do. From the ones that I have been doing out of state, the question hasn't even come up yet.

Thanks everyone for your answers and yes on all of the out of state apps I have done the question has never come up but when I did the background for mercer county alt route the question came up and they wanted serial numbers as well but at that time I didn't own any

Thanks everyone for your answers and yes on all of the out of state apps I have done the question has never come up but when I did the background for mercer county alt route the question came up and they wanted serial numbers as well but at that time I didn't own any

Answered already on the other forum.....just realize something that we as "Gun Guys' are the minority in LE..it's about a 30/40/20 mix. 30% are Shooters, and have Guns, 40% dont care one way or the other..arent for OR Against, and about 20% think that them "Lowly Civilians" shouldnt own any guns at all..of course THOSE types are usually also the ones who never carry off-duty, or shoot when they are not getting paid to do so.

Some agencies have firearms related questions on their personal history statement, and some don't. I know from someone who just when through the NJSP recruitment song and dance, that they do. From the ones that I have been doing out of state, the question hasn't even come up yet.

Henry,

I'll take a stab at that reasoning that since everybody outside of the People's Republic has guns and uses them and considers them a "normal" part of our culture and heritage, that it would merely be a "given" to own firearms and be decent with them, therefore not worth even mentioning on any test like you descibe..........

• Like 2

Answered already on the other forum.....just realize something that we as "Gun Guys' are the minority in LE..it's about a 30/40/20 mix. 30% are Shooters, and have Guns, 40% dont care one way or the other..arent for OR Against, and about 20% think that them "Lowly Civilians" shouldnt own any guns at all..of course THOSE types are usually also the ones who never carry off-duty, or shoot when they are not getting paid to do so.

Soooo true. I am the " buff" because I like guns and shoot outside of work.

Yeah and the funny thing is he hunts deer every year has 2 308s and 2 shotguns ha

I may have met him at the range. He was shooting a bolt action, and looked at me in disgust because I was shooting an AR.

You got me curious, what's the other 10%?

I may have met him at the range. He was shooting a bolt action, and looked at me in disgust because I was shooting an AR.

Nah it's a semi and a lever action. I don't think he has anything against ARs. If my buddy bought one he would think its cool and want to shoot it but he keeps telling me to wait until after I get hired so they don't see it

I've been trying to get on the job and unfortunately need to start checking out of state.

That sounds like a really good idea. Let's face it, this may be one of your last good chances to leave Jersey. Job in hand.

Once you take a police job in Jersey you are not going anywhere for quite some time.