4redz

Monmouth County Rifle Pistol Club?

From what I've read, it seems like a nice enough place to go shoot outdoors without too many bells and whistles with reasonable initiation/membership fees.

Wife & I are currently family members at Brick Armory and have no intention of dropping that, so I wouldn't need the indoor range at Old Bridge and can't really justify that kind of $$ in additon to our memebership at Brick.

I'd like to take a tour of the facility....any members out there with some time to spare? Any opinions?

Thanks in advance-

I'm a member along with a handful of other folks here.

Its a relatively small, yet quiet range so while there's not a whole lot to the "facilities" the upside is that its never quite busy. We have various matches going Saturday and Sunday of every most weekend that end at noon and you could certainly stop by to take a look around during those times (the lock gate will be conveniently open for the matches).

There are a number of other threads about the MCRPC on the forum, including some where I posted a very detailed description, and I think JonF has done the same. Here's one:

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/24002-monmouth-county-rifle-pistol-club/page__hl__monmouth__fromsearch__1

Thanks. I read your review and did some other searching / reading on other forums That's what got me thinking about joining. I also emailed the person in charge of membership. Will have to swing by when open to the public before joining. It sounds like it is exactly what I'm looking for...

I too am interested in joining and reached out visa the website. I got an immediate response from Doc who said John would reach out with the particulars. I never heard from John and followed up with him and Doc but no response. I'm still very much interested but don't quite know where how to continue the dialog.

Any suggestions?

I never heard of this range either. I just shoot at Fort Dix a few times a year as I have no time to be bothered with being forced to participate in matches and go through all these hoops to become a member. Does this range require you to attend matches or anything before you can join?

Phillies, no, you are not obligated to participate in any matches, nor are you required to work. Outside of the initital range orientation and member inductance meeting, your annual dues are all that are really needed to maintain good standing at the club.

I got a return call earlier today, only one day after emailing Doc. I think timing is everything because the "orientation" is only once/month. I happened to hit it a day or two before. I will be attending the orientation tomorrow and will likely join.

I was accepted as a member there at the last meeting in March. I did the online application and thought no one had gotten it. As it turns out I was contacted about a safety orientation meeting which I attended and was accepted and shot there today. Nice club, nice people.

I guess they suck at checking email

It's a bunch of old men. As a member, and frequent shooter, it's amazing to me that they even know email exists.

On the other hand, we have the newsletter online now, so that's a big step forward.

Shot for 90 minutes there today. Had rifle range to ourselves for first 45 minutes, then just as some other people arrived we moved over to the long pistol pit, and shot there alone for 45 minutes. There was a retired cop qualification session early, but they were gone by the time we wanted the pit.

Shot all sorts of guns, my 12 year old shot pistols for a long time, everyone friendly on a beautiful sunny day.

I was accepted as a member there at the last meeting in March. I did the online application and thought no one had gotten it. As it turns out I was contacted about a safety orientation meeting which I attended and was accepted and shot there today. Nice club, nice people.

I just printed out the application form from the web site and mailed it out today.

How long did it take for them to contact you?

Thanks

Sorry to take so long to get back to you H.M., it took a while, I'm guessing I just missed a meeting so it must have been close to a month or more before the initial contact. I got a call on a Friday night to invite me to a Sunday orientation. After that it was about 3 weeks to get to the meeting that they vote you in.

A few years ago they only had a few hundred members, mostly the same old men for the past 20 years. Around the gun craze time, people starting joining in droves (due to the ease of joining, super low fees and general low key environment).

At first they held at 500 members, now I think they approved to 550, but above that they have to start thinking about renegotiating insurance, etc.

Remember that when they had 200 members, the same 20 guys used the range and 180 never went. Now they have several hundred new members, many of whom actually go to the range. They probably have 200 people who use the range now, which blows their mind.

Recent improvements like the new access road are big steps forward, and they just rebuild the berms on the rifle range. But, the new road also removed some parking, and the overflow parking on the farm side of the old access road is gone, so they've actually lost parking. At most you can fit 20 cars, and that's if every parks well.

I'm glad they are capping members at the current level, because some of the charm is being lost with the crowds. For my first two years I never waited for anything. In fact, my first two years I barely ever saw another member except during organized events. These days, you might have to wait a little to get a slot. Also, remember this is a very not-fancy place...not designed for a lot of people. Really still designed for the same 20 grumpy old men who used it exclusively for the 20 years before.

Don't worry, there will be open slots regularly, I'm sure. There is no waiting list yet, and I think some of the people used to the "private range" will get fed up and not rejoin....

I sent an application for membership in July, plus a follow up in August via email and have still not got any details on an orientation. I send emails and get little or no response.

Can anyone help me with this? The Club is close to where I live and would be a very convenient place to shoot.

Thanks,

Peter

A vote to cap Membership at 600 was passed a couple of months ago and we are at capacity. Yes, it seems that they are still accepting applications, but there is a waiting list.

I was talking to one of the officers about membership a couple of weeks ago, who said that what sometimes happens is that members will not renew at the end of the year. If anything opens up, that's when it will happen, more than likely. The deadline for next years dues is 12/31/2012.