this_is_nascar

Why Are You in Favor of CCW in NJ?

This should spark some interesting debate, but please, let's try to be adult and mature about this. I'm curious as to why you would CCW in NJ if it was legal to do so. Would it be because "you have a right to do so", or "for protection" or just because you think it would be cool to walk around with a piece?

For me personally, I may want to CCW from the time it became legal, however I'm not sure I'd continue to go through the hassle a year or so afterward. My reasoning for that is, in my opinion, once NJ allows for this, the crime-rate will plummet. Because of that, my particular need and reason to CCW will drastically decrease.

I'm interested in your thoughts.

This should spark some interesting debate, but please, let's try to be adult and mature about this. I'm curious as to why you would CCW in NJ if it was legal to do so. Would it be because "you have a right to do so", or "for protection" or just because you think it would be cool to walk around with a piece?

For me personally, I may want to CCW from the time it became legal, however I'm not sure I'd continue to go through the hassle a year or so afterward. My reasoning for that is, in my opinion, once NJ allows for this, the crime-rate will plummet. Because of that, my particular need and reason to CCW will drastically decrease.

I'm interested in your thoughts.

For CCW it is a right, like freedom of speach or religion that should be exercised on a daily basis. I am not saying that you should CCW everyday, however every day is different. You are assuming that the criminals will go and hide because people are carrying guns, I highly doubt it. Protecting myself and my family is my #1 concern.

Think about this..most time people dont leave home without their phones or wallet, BECAUSE you might need it. Same applies to a weapon. You never know. Never assume anything.

• Like 5

For CCW it is a right, like freedom of speach or religion that should be exercised on a daily basis. I am not saying that you should CCW everyday, however every day is different. You are assuming that the criminals will go and hide because people are carrying guns, I highly doubt it. Protecting myself and my family is my #1 concern.

Think about this..most time people dont leave home without their phones or wallet, BECAUSE you might need it. Same applies to a weapon. You never know. Never assume anything.

Good points.

Self Defense, Ease of transporting to the range, no need to worry that I have to leave my favorite sidearm at home that it could be stolen, to use to stir my jack and cokes at the bar, defend myself from a foriegn invasion... you know all legal purposes.

• Like 1

Because it is my right to do so.

I often find myself traveling at night and sometimes through less than desirable areas when commuting to/from work. Combine that with the fact I drive a nice car and at time I get looks that send the message I am being eyed up for a car jacking or hold up. CCW would be an added level of insurance that I can arrive home safely to my family every day.

• Like 1

Beyond the issue of rights,times are changing and the basic need for self preservation and protection is growing increasingly critical. Even though I personally would not carry every day if the opportunity presents itself,I want the ability to protect myself,family and property without foolishly depending on an already abbreviated,overburdened and refocused law enforcement system.

• Like 1

Transportation issues become much less gray for one and obviously because it is a constitutional right and for protection. If I go to a range but feel like stopping by at my friend's house that is kind of on the way so we can carpool then go out to eat after a couple of hours at the range, I don't want that to be risky from a compliance perspective.

I'd say for protection.

Even if you don't want to CCW yourself, eveyone (except criminals)

benefit from being allowed to carry. Criminals have no idea who may have a gun so instead of beong arrested for a mugging and out in six months. They run the risk of being dead. Makes them a lot more cautious.

People who want to because it's cool to walk around with a piece are the ones who probably shouldn't.

Idealogically speaking, I would get it because I believe it is my right as a law abiding citizen to have an effective means of self defense outside the home.

Realistically speaking, my real life benefits from a CCW [in the hard to imagine scenario where it someday becomes possible in NJ] would likely be limited to the freedom to get out from under the heavy regulations regarding travel with a firearm. I say that because I believe my employer would prohibbit us from even having firearms in our vehicles [corporate parking garage is only available parking], much less in the office. I'm pretty sure it's probably banned right now, but doing so isn't even legal at present, so there isn't much point in them bringing it up.

While there may be open carry maybe that dept does not allow "open" carry. SOP's may be set that an "off-duty" has to remain hidden from view.

Which dept? If you are referring to the DOC - how did the Philly Leo know this guy was a CO. Besides it isn't up to the PD to enforce a DOC policy. If you are referring to the Philly PD, it isn't up to them to make law/policy, just enforce it. Open carry is legal in PA and there is pre-emption, so regardless of what the Philly PD would like, the CO was fully within his rights. I hope he pursues it. Apparently $25K wasn't enough of a lesson (Fiorino case).

Adios,

PIzza Bob

• Like 1

Bob...we are posting in the wrong thread... :( Oooops....

Just relaized that - last three posts belong here...

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/34250-philly-cop-chokes-guard-with-ccw/page__fromsearch__1

Sorry. Continue.

Yep..........there are bad people, and not only in NJ......after working in a high crime area for over 20+ years, I can honestly say without reservation that most folks have no conception of what the BG will do to make his money.....for them, B&E's, Robberys, Muggings, Car Jacking, Scams, Drug Sales etc. are a job.....it's their career.

They pick an area and go off to work....same as we do each day. When they're caught, it's just part of the risk.....no biggie....and their out in a few hours or couple of days depending on the charges.

IMO..................I'm surprised there isn't more serious crime here in NJ. Most everyone is unarmed and at the mercy of these street felons.

Unless their luck is bad and run into an off-duty LEO.....it's prime pickin's here for bad business.

Like the Fox circling the hen house......what can you really do here to protect what's yours...?

Why do I want a CCW? Because there are a lot of jealous husbands out there...

Honestly, I don't think I have to justify "why" at all. You might as well ask me why I'm a Jew or why I don't quarter troops in my home, or why I feel I should be exempted from warrantless searches.

The constitution is not a buffet. New Jersey should not be able to chose which rights it bestows upon it citizens.