Sign in to follow this  
Sandy

M&P 40 question UPDATED

I just picked up my new M&P 40 Pro series..I has a question.

It is the Pro series , so no safety , no trigger lock , no magazine disconnect feature , and it is DOA.

The way I am reading the instructions , and the way it seems to be operating empty suggests that when you put a new loaded magazine in you have to pull the rack back it stays back , then you depress the slide release to allow it to go forward and strip a bullet into the chamber ??? In other words ..if I am shooting and the magazine is empty , the slides stays back , I drop the empty mag out , put the new full mag in ..then I would think you just pull the slide back farther and release which then put one in the chamber..but what I am reading and seeing..you need to hit that slide release every time you put a new mag in when the slide is in the open position after emptying the last mag.

If that is the case , as Sarge says from Penguins of Madagasgar ..that's not gonna fly.

I have the 9L and that's not the case at all. As a matter of fact, if you slam the full mag in, the slide releases itself, don't have to hit the slide release or pull back the slide.

Oh , I get it now. So if the slide is open and you put in a new full mag , the slide just closes without you doing anything else ( this is my first DOA gun) . In the instructions it says to depress the slide release , I'll see if I can find that part of the instructions to paste here .

Oh , I get it now. So if the slide is open and you put in a new full mag , the slide just closes without you doing anything else ( this is my first DOA gun) . In the instructions it says to depress the slide release , I'll see if I can find that part of the instructions to paste here .

The only time I hit the slide release is when I don't slam the mag in hard enough. It's a nice feature of the M&P but, I seem to forget and just insert the mag at times.

In the instructions , right after the insert the loaded magazine part , it says exactly :

Pull the slide to the rear , press down on the slide stop to release the slide and allow it to carry fully forward . This strips a cartridge from the magazine and seats it into the chamber of the barrel.

In the instructions , right after the insert the loaded magazine part , it says exactly :

Pull the slide to the rear , press down on the slide stop to release the slide and allow it to carry fully forward . This strips a cartridge from the magazine and seats it into the chamber of the barrel.

It might say that, but you don't have to do that

So I have to slam it in , or deal with the slide release ? ( which I have a hard time manipulating ) It won't release if I insert full mag , pull slide back farther , then release ?

Nah. Just sling shot it. It will work just fine. Now, stop reading the manual and get to the range! Go have some fun!

So I have to slam it in , or deal with the slide release ? ( which I have a hard time manipulating ) It won't release if I insert full mag , pull slide back farther , then release ?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

If you slam it in it will go forward on it's own. If you ease it in and then pull back the slide and let it go it will go all the way forward into battery. You DO NOT have to hit the slide release!!!

I'm guessing, because I don't own an M&P, but I imagine that text means the slide is forward and the chamber empty - thus, pull back the slide, insert magazine (the part they left out) and use the slide release. Never seen a semi-auto that you could not drop the slide either with the slide release or by slingshotting it. BTW - that's DAO (Double Action Only).

HTH

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Congrats on your newest toy. Have fun tomorrow.

What Page?

MANUAL

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

If you slam it in it will go forward on it's own. If you ease it in and then pull back the slide and let it go it will go all the way forward into battery. You DO NOT have to hit the slide release!!!

I was responding to this :

The only time I hit the slide release is when I don't slam the mag in hard enough. It's a nice feature of the M&P but, I seem to forget and just insert the mag at times.

Sorry to make you scream Babaganoosh lol

Ah , the manual you posted says this

Pull the slide to the rear and release it, allowing it to carry fully

forward. This strips a cartridge from the magazine and seats it in

the chamber of the barrel

Mine says , in the exact same spot and I am looking right at it , this :

Pull the slide to the rear , press down on the slide stop to release the slide and allow it to carry fully forward .

This strips a cartridge from the magazine and seats it into the chamber of the barrel.

Mine is DAO ( not DOA , I hope lol ) , Pro series . Just to be thorough here .

They are all DAO, the M&Ps that is. I'm gonna guess the manual meant to say pull he slide to the rear OR press down on the slide stop to release the slide. Both are valid methods. If you have long thumbs the slide release might be faster/better if not the slingshot method might be better. In addition the M&P will automatically drop the slide if the magazine is slammed home with enthusiasm, which is nice for us that compete with it, but unreliable for day to day use because if don't insert the mag with the prerequisite amount of force the slide will not drop which would be annoying if you expect it to.

They are all DAO, the M&Ps that is. I'm gonna guess the manual meant to say pull he slide to the rear OR press down on the slide stop to release the slide. Both are valid methods. If you have long thumbs the slide release might be faster/better if not the slingshot method might be better. In addition the M&P will automatically drop the slide if the magazine is slammed home with enthusiasm, which is nice for us that compete with it, but unreliable for day to day use because if don't insert the mag with the prerequisite amount of force the slide will not drop which would be annoying if you expect it to.

The way it looks on S&W 's site ( which is confusing to say the least ) only the Pro series .40s are double action only .SKU #s 178031 and 032 . Mine is SKU # 178032

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757955_-1_757781_757781_image

All of the centerfire M&P are classified (by S&W) as striker-fired DAO. They say this because racking the slide only takes the striker to about the 98% cocked position. The final 2% is done by the trigger pull before the striker is released.

If the slide is open and you insert a loaded magazine, EITHER pressing the slide stop or pulling the slide to the rear and releasing it will strip the top round from the magazine and chamber it. The slide stop is spring-loaded and is naturally in the down position, where the slide is free to cycle. When the magazine is empty, the follower presses the slide stop upwards and it catches on the slide when the slide is moved to the rear.

At any time, pressing the slide release will cause the slide to move forward, though it will be slightly stiffer if the empty magazine is still in the gun. If the empty magazine is removed (regardless of whether or not a new magazine is inserted), pulling the slide to the rear will cause the slide stop to drop to the lowered position and then releasing the slide will cause it to move fully forward.

When the gun is empty and you load a full mag inside the weapon. You can sling-shot/power-stroke the slide to send it into battery, hit the slide release, or what i was told was to do the "45 bump."

I slam my magazines into the mag-well If my palm hits the grip at 90 degrees, the slide won't go forward on it's own. But, If I hit on the same plane as the grip at a 45 degree angle I can send the slid into battery every single time.

The way it looks on S&W 's site ( which is confusing to say the least ) only the Pro series .40s are double action only .SKU #s 178031 and 032 . Mine is SKU # 178032

http://www.smith-wes...81_757781_image

Trust me, they all are, the action of all the M&Ps is identical regardless of model or sku, they are all classified as DAO, which is actually a lie because striker fired guns like the M&P (or glocks, or XDs, or whatever) are really not DAO so really it is just a marketing term, don't worry about it.

The poster who said just shoot it and forget the instructions was right :)

I had no trouble with it racking , etc.(and thanks Mike for checking it for me 1st ) . I did have 1 light strike though . It looked like it was hit off center. I was using Remington UMC match nickel plated ammo. One of the guys there said the same thing happened to them with that ammo . Jeez , I hope it is the ammo , because if not it will be 2 brand new S&Ws I have to send back for light strikes. The other one is my new Model 60 revolver. Hmmmmm.. hopefully it does not happen again. Other than that I LOVED this gun. The sights are nice , easy to sight up , and there is like zero recoil in .40. I found it very accurate when I concentrated , any misses were definitely me rushing things. Very happy with it..so pleeeease no more light strikes !