hammer

Ar-15 lock

Folks, I am looking for AR-15 lock - while transporting to lock the trigger,etc...

Can anyone recommend something that works for you?

I was able to find only this: http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/gunvault-the-ar-magvault-and-breechvault-for-semi-auto-and-pump-shotguns/

I am surprised by the lack of locks for AR-15. Every other rifle I bought in NJ came with the lock. I actually thought that this was a requirement for manufacturers to sells firearms with some some types of trigger locks.

Never really though about it as I never lock mine up, but I guess you could use a cable lock through the magwell and out the ejection port. Something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mossberg-Authentic-Cable-Lock-NEW-/270703407890 \ 824ed9fb213da027da0fdfcd1061a819.jpg

This is what I would suggest. Cheap and very effective.

I have the mag vault for my ar works really well and is actually good if you used ar as home defense gun. You can just drop the mag with the bolt back with a round in chamber or you can just have bolt back so when you load a mag in it will push a round in.

Folks, I am looking for AR-15 lock - while transporting to lock the trigger,etc...

Can anyone recommend something that works for you?

I was able to find only this: http://www.gunsameri...-pump-shotguns/

I am surprised by the lack of locks for AR-15. Every other rifle I bought in NJ came with the lock. I actually thought that this was a requirement for manufacturers to sells firearms with some some types of trigger locks.

Good luck finding one of those.. i've been trying since before Christmas.. Midway has had my order since then, and I still haven't received it... i tried to get one off of Amazon, which was selling it for OpticsPlanet.. they canceled my order cause they were out of stock..

Someone on the forum offered to get me a couple from PA, but they were $25/each... Online they are like $16 .. i just can't find a place that has them...

But if you do, let me know.. and I will do the same...

wait a sec... why are we locking the rifles? that's just a personal preference, right? cause I only lock my handguns at home and while going to the range.....

I dunno, like I said I have never locked up my rifle ever. But the OP was looking for ways to do so, so I guess its just his preference.

So, I got the Gun Vault lock from Ramsey Outdoors for $12. It works very nicely. I have two questions:

1.How good for a buffer spring is the fact that the AR is stored (gunvault requires that) with bolt carrier back and bolt catch holding it back. Isn't buffer spring going to get weak as a result?

2.GunVault hooks up to the magazine catch and leaves the magazine catch in the pressed state while the gunvault is in. (imagine pressing the magazine catch to release the magazine but then never letting the magazine catch go by keeping to hold it in the pressed state). Other than via gunvault the magazine catch never stays like this for a long time. Could this cause a damage to the magazine catch in the long term?

So, I got the Gun Vault lock from Ramsey Outdoors for $12. It works very nicely. I have two questions:

1.How good for a buffer spring is the fact that the AR is stored (gunvault requires that) with bolt carrier back and bolt catch holding it back. Isn't buffer spring going to get weak as a result?

2.GunVault hooks up to the magazine catch and leaves the magazine catch in the pressed state while the gunvault is in. (imagine pressing the magazine catch to release the magazine but then never letting the magazine catch go by keeping to hold it in the pressed state). Other than via gunvault the magazine catch never stays like this for a long time. Could this cause a damage to the magazine catch in the long term?

Thanks for the tip on Ramsey Outdoors.. i just picked up 2 of them today...

i don't think the buffer spring will get weak.. people shoot thousands upon thousands of rounds and it holds up... i don't think keeping it "cocked" and resting against the gun vault lock would cause an issue..

as for the magazine release.. this concerns me a little..but it's such a small part/spring, and replacing it would only take a couple minutes.. i'm going to leave mine in and see how it works..

my buddy has had his locked like that for over a year.. he rarely takes it out shooting anymore (works to much), and he never has an issue on the few times he does take it out of storage..