Teky0101

Large Backpack - Any Recommendations?

Hello Everyone,

I was looking for a large miliary style backpack which I could carry a descent amount of gear for camping. I was hoping to keep it under $70 does anyone have any recommendation? Thank you for any help you can provide.

I have a maxpedition pack.. posted it before.. still have the pack.. still going strong..

Since the other thread was going so far off topic I decided to make a new thread, allowing for the discussion of bags and packs.. I carry my laptop and other junk to work every day so I find it easier just to carry it all in a backpack, along with other items I may need... Also use the same pack for light travel.. Also use as a range bag (am able to carry ALL my ammo and other items in it).. the bag has been extremely versatile..

Maxpedition bag

max22q.jpg

* Fairly large (was able to cram enough for 5 day trip to Florida in it)

* Heavy duty double stitched everything (has held hundreds of rounds of ammo without tearing or ripping)

* The pack appears to be water resistant (took canoeing got pretty wet but everything inside was dry.. not waterproof but appears water resistant)

* MOLLE attachment points for pack versatility (tons of different pouches available)allowing you to customize for activity..

* Pouch for camelbak hydration system.

I have had the pack a little over a year and beat the hell out of it, and it has shown no signs of wear or fading.. would not hesitate to buy again.. the pack does appear to run a little smaller than it looks but they have tons of different sizes and configurations..

Spend the extra money and get a Gregory...

http://www.campmor.c...eywords=gregory

It might pay to take a trip to Campmor and see what is on sale. It's on the Northbound side of 17 in Paramus. There is another store right next to it...

This is a pretty good deal...

The North Face Primero 70 Internal Frame Pack

If you want to buy chinese crap by maxpedition...as I recall in a thread on another forum ( a few years ago at least), most if not all that stuff is offshore...

Tadgear is ALL usa made as well as tactical tailor....tactailor is in washington state (?)......

you get what you pay for...

Im a pack junky....

i have this one from years ago when the orignal owner was still alive before being killed in a car crash...

http://www.tacticalt...us-assault-pack

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/history.html

i use it for travel and it holds everything....actaully I am going to be using it next week when i head to disney.....it has gone everywhere and it has NEVER let me down

SUPPORT A SMALL AMERICAN COMPANY

hate to break it to you.. but where it was manufactured has nothing to do with the fact that it works.. and I beat the shit out of that pack.. carried tons of heavy ammo.. been in and out of the woods.. I am not gentle on my stuff by any stretch..

• Like 1

Well that is kinda true....but, if * I * have a choice, * I *, buy AMERICAN.....

here is my logic, if I have a choice of two items and comparatively speaking they are on par, for fit and function.....I opt for the american product hands down, EVEN if it costs me more green....it's a no brainer to me....

YMMV, but I can and will always buy american where and when I can....

I can appreciate your desire to support american companies..

I can not appreciate the mindset of talking negatively about the quality of a product.. calling it junk.. when it is not.. simply because it is made over seas.. my Saiga is not junk.. my Glock is not junk.. I like my Samsung TV just fine.. my Iphone has performed well.. point being sure.. buying american products is great.. but lets not get diluted and pretend things are junk just because they are made over seas..

For under $70 a surplus ALICE pack might be the best deal out there. The medium sized ones can be used without a frame. The large packs need a frame to attach the straps properly.

Having been through the transition between ALICE and MOLLE gear, I would say the ALICE packs were more durable.

For under $70 a surplus ALICE pack might be the best deal out there. The medium sized ones can be used without a frame. The large packs need a frame to attach the straps properly.

Having been through the transition between ALICE and MOLLE gear, I would say the ALICE packs were more durable.

The ALICE from midway comes with frame and straps ready to use.

Hello Everyone,

I was looking for a large miliary style backpack which I could carry a descent amount of gear for camping. I was hoping to keep it under $70 does anyone have any recommendation? Thank you for any help you can provide.

I use a 4,000 cu. in. external frame pack from EMS that I bought a couple of years ago. It is similar to this one - http://www.backcountry.com/kelty-trekker-backpack-3900-3950cu-in

Sometimes the Sierra Trading Post has good deals, too. Get a dedicated backpack from a reputable dealer... Gregory, Dana Designs, Mountain Hardware, North Face, Lowes, etc. You might even be able to get a good deal on a used one on Craigslist.

http://www.sierratra...k/brandor~7155/

I have a couple of Gregory's and a EMS. I believe that Gregory even made packs for our military.

You might be able to find something like the Shasta...

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/spo/2932440544.html

I truly would like to thank everyone for your outstanding replies to my questions. We actually ending purchasing four bags! An OPMOD Tac Pack, BlackHawk Barrage Hydration Pack, a Redhead Deer Trail Pack from Bass Pro and lastly an army bag from a local Army Navy Store. Currently the products are on their way so I cannot wait to get them! Thank you everyone again.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/opmod-tactical-back-pack.html

http://www.opticsplanet.net/blackhawk-barrage-hydration-pack.html

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Deer-Trail-Day-Packs/product/10202768/92596

I would just go with an old army 3 day assault pack. I got one from a guy who owed me $5. I use it for airsoft, and in the event I need a bug-out. can take a beating, keeps water out from rain well enough, and can carry a TON of crap. Plus they're probably pretty cheap as surplus.

My only issue with recommending ALICE packs/rucks is that if they're not of decent quality and/or the user isn't fully aware of how to wear them correctly, the ALICE pack can end up being a health detriment. Given the user loads the ALICE pack up, which is kind of the point, and it doesn't seat correctly, there are acute and long-term affects. Debilitating soreness, sharp back pains, and, ultimately, back issues, etc.

I'm not NOT recommending such packs, but considering the market, there are a myriad of better products (even if the price point is a bit higher). Considering this is our own health we're talking about, maybe something to consider.

I just picked up a SOC Tac Ruck E&E, for the exact purposes you states, and its not bad.

Biggest issue I have with it personally is its internal design, which is to act more as a pack. I mean that there are no real compartments, but one large pocket. The internal struts (for maintaining the rigidity) aren't the best, and I'm going to probably find/mold some plastic to bolster this function.

The good is that I love the design itself. Its just a ruck with MOLLE everywhere, it has a lot of flexibility-- and considering the number of GPs (General Pouches) I had sitting around, it was perfect. I haven't put it in the field yet myself, though I intend to a number of times this spring/summer when I go on some hikes and camping trips.

I am a 5.11 fan, at work I use the patrol bag, I have another for my pistol and ar. Looking into getting their bailout bag and 72 hr pack

I'm a huge fan of 5.11. I have a RUSH 24 that I'm building as a 3-6 day pack right now. I have a Lg ALICE pack that I had Tactical Tailor modify...well worth the $ spent. Get the HSGI Alipad and aftermarket straps, and it'll be 10x's more comfortable. I think my next pack purchase will be a RUSH 72. If anyone has any experience, please chime in. Also, google the ALICE pack "Hellcat" modification. It utilizes the Lg or Med ALICE, but with a Down East Frame, and incorporates the newer MOLLE straps and waistpad.