FLHX

Smith & Wesson 617 optic question

I have another week or so until my OGAM crap is up!! I have a S&W 617 waiting for the time to be up. I am thinking about putting a red-dot on it but I can't get over the looks of the gun with the red-dot on it. I just don't like it!! The issue I have is my eyes just aren't what they used to be. I want this gun for steel and for OBRAMS. My questions are has anyone put a red-dot on a 4 inch barreled 617? and if so what model and your thoughts on the gun with the red-dot on it. So please if anyone has one with a red-dot on it can you post some pics? Any pics with a revolver with a red-dot would be appreciated

Go small with either a Burris Fast Fire or a Leupold reflex sight. All new S&W revolvers (K, L, N & X - frame) are drilled through the top strap for optics mounting. Remove the rear sight assembly and you use the one hole that the sight was screwed into and another will be revealed when the sight is off (open cylinder and look at the underside of the top strap. The small reflex sights do not look as out of place on a revolver as a full size red dot.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

By the way, that isn't really a red dot on my revolver, it is a mini missle launcher................... ;)

That revolver has the worst sites of any gun I own, I couldn't stand them, and I couldn't see them. Old-age sucks at times, well, most of the time!

I have not desecrated any of my other revolvers though. :)

I feel it's a sin to put an optic on a revolver but to each his own. I do understand that your eyes need some help though.

Guns are made to be shot. If you can't see the sights, you can't shoot them. Throw an optic on there and it's a game changer. You young bucks will be singing a different tune when you get to be our age :rolleyes: