DevsAdvocate

Looking at this as a belt combo...

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=129

Was looking at this following the recent IDPA/USPSA intro class. I figured I'd run with my Glock 17, but would also like to be able to use a Glock 19 as a back-up, and I figured the G17 holster would hold both pistols. For the price, is this a good intro rig? Right now I have a flimsy belt and some fabric mag holders for my Glock 21... but given cost and 'buy once cry once', I figured I'd try this out.

Thoughts?

........ Not really a fan of paddle holster, weird that they consider that as part of a "competition kit"

I use Blade Tech holster for USPSA....

Try this kit..... comes with belt holser and mag holder, also does contain a paddle attachment if you want..... It's $90 less..... add a quality belt, and you are good to go

http://www.blade-tech.com/Pro-Series-IDPA-PAK-pr-1093.html

........ Not really a fan of paddle holster, weird that they consider that as part of a "competition kit"

I use Blade Tech holster for USPSA....

Try this kit..... comes with belt holser and mag holder, also does contain a paddle attachment if you want..... It's $90 less..... add a quality belt, and you are good to go

http://www.blade-tec...AK-pr-1093.html

They make that for an XD nice. Might be a purchase in the near future.

Paddle holsters are "ok". I have a paddle mag pouch and it's not bad, but I'm not replacing it as it does the job fine. I used to have a paddle holster though and it just wasn't that secure. I tried a couple things but ended up selling it, they just aren't as secure as a belt loop holster.

I suggest a CR Speed or Double Alpha belt in conjunction with a stiff kydex holster and mag pouches. The double belt system coupled with a belt loop or tek lock holster and mag pouches is the way to go if you really want to buy once cry once.

Why don't you use a "rig" that you would actually use in a real concealed carry situation?

If he was shooting IDPA then yeah go for it. USPSA is more of a competition. I shoot USPSA currently but want to get into IDPA a bit. Shooting from cover and all that seems more useful for real world situations. You shoot IDPA yet ray? If not lets go to a match and shoot/check it out

Why don't you use a "rig" that you would actually use in a real concealed carry situation?

Because I don't have a 'real concealed carry situation'... Even when I go out of state for work I don't carry (checking a gun, taking it, leaving it in a hotel since most Gov't facilities don't allow it)... and the 30 minutes I spend in PA going to the range isn't really worth the hassle of me carrying.

I just want a rig that I can throw on when I need a pistol/mags on the go or for competition.

As for a 'battle rig', I'm working on that too... that will have a handgun holster, mag holsters, as well as drop pouch and AR-15 mag holders...

For a belt, I went with a Walmart work belt. Leather layer on the outside and stiff reinforced nylon layer on the inside, can not fold it over, thick enough to hold holster and mag secure, and only $12. Make sure to get the full width leather and nylon layers, some models are chinsy with the leather layer so dig thru the rack.

I am not a fan of the paddle type holster.

However, I am a big fan of the cr speed belt with Bladetech DOH holster with teklok and Bladetech mag pouches. Order a belt attachment for the holster for IDPA and you should be ok.

For USPSA, consider running 5 mags on your belt for production.

You'll need to figure out what works best for you.

This topic has been covered before here.

• Like 1

I'm in the same 'buy once, cry once' category.

I use comp-tac belt holster and mag pouches. Then for a belt I run an Ares Gear Ranger belt.

I use it for both USPSA Production and IDPA it's a real stiff belt and the comp-tac holster and pouches stay in place and don't shift.

I had the Comp-Tac belt and thought it was good, however I then purchased a Wilderness Original Instructor Belt 5 STITCH and now I am a convert to the Wilderness belts.

The only time I'll use my Comp-Tac belt is when going CCW out of state and being dressed smartish casual.

note: I also bought the competition pro set, if I was to do it again I wouldn't buy it. I prefer the Kaluban Cloak/Raven holsters for OWB and a Theis for IWB.

TheWombat