Tackleberry 03

Saiga Shot Gun a little gunsmithing

Hello,

I am looking for someone out where that might be able to help me make my Saiga shot gun stand out. I was looking around and thinking of adding a mak90 type thumbhole stock. I was also looking for an oversized charging handle to make it one of a kind. Anyone know of any shops in jersey that might be able to help me make it one of a kind. Please let me know thanks!

you basically can not do anything with that gun legally..

you could use an oversized bolt on Tromix charging handle..

you could polish up the internals and bolt carrier to make it smoother..

you could weld on some HK sights..

but when it comes to things like thumbhole you are shit out of luck..

the rule for pistol grip is a well defined handle directly beneath the action allowing the shooter to hold and fire with one hand..

a forward vertical grip is IMO NOT a pistol grip as it is not beneath the action of the weapon.. it would IMO be legal...

but unless it is a drum fed S12 (which you can not have) you probably don't need it..

So a thumbhole stock is now a pistol grip? I know PAP stocks don't fit on saiga's but if it did that would be considered a pistol grip?

To you, me, and probably most anyone else...no it is not. But the syntax does not say "pistol grip" it says a "well defined handle directly underneath the action...". A pistol grip meets this criteria and technically, so could a thumbhole stock.

I'm sorely tempted to use the skeleton stock that came with my s308 as the grip is only partially underneath the action and more behind it. In the end though, I really have no desire to be the test case for this in a court of law.

I am thinking about adding some rails for my front handguard on the s12 and mounting a vertical grip there as well.

So a thumbhole stock is now a pistol grip? I know PAP stocks don't fit on saiga's but if it did that would be considered a pistol grip?

you tell me..

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/29389-nj-law-summary-read-first-nj-gun-law-faqs/

z. "Pistol grip" means a well-defined handle, similar to that found on a handgun, that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, and which permits the shotgun to be held and fired with one hand.

I would say by that definition.. yes..

I am going to do the front vertical grip on it to see if it makes getting back on target faster when shooting knockdown steel.

Either-way, I just love shooting steel with that gun! I think I have 10 or maybe 12 mags now for it. Load them all up, lay them all out on the table, they need to put up more steel targets for me. I think the largest stage had 30 targets and I easily knockdown 2 per shot. Some stages have a line of targets setup that if you get the right angle you will knock all five down with one shot. Like I said, shooting steel is a BLAST with the Saiga-12! :)

• Like 1

Ugh that's such bs. I was really planning on getting another saiga in .410 and using some type of thumbole stock with a G2 to make it my hunting weapon.

that you DEFINITELY can not do.. because with a pushed forward fire control group.. the pistol grip .. er.. thumbhole stock.. would DEFINITELY be beneath the action...

You're absolutly correct, the stock would be partly under the action. But it still would not be conspicuous IMHO and thats what I'm basing my argument on.

I honestly don't mind the factory stock, In fact for giggles while I was converting my .223 I threw on the warsaw stock and left the stock FCG and it actually make it even more comfy with the short LOP.

My issue is the terrible trigger, specially on a hunting weapon. percision is needed.

You're absolutly correct, the stock would be partly under the action. But it still would not be conspicuous IMHO and thats what I'm basing my argument on.

dscf1302p.jpg

I am certainly not a judge.. lawyer.. or firearms expert.. but let me save you the trouble.. if you put a thumbhole stock like that on a shotgun.. you are DEFINITELY asking for trouble in NJ.. and based on the several conversations I have personally had.. and others have had with the NJSP.. they would without question consider that a pistol grip..

it may sound nuts.. but I am just telling you what I have been informed..