Wolfy

Game of Thrones

I'm most disappointed in the deviation from the book and the lack of detail that went into this season.  I had to explain a lot of things to my wife who did not read the book.  She would've never caught the subtleties just by watching the show.

I'm most disappointed in the deviation from the book and the lack of detail that went into this season. I had to explain a lot of things to my wife who did not read the book. She would've never caught the subtleties just by watching the show.

But isn't that always the case? The book always has more subtleties or dept the tv/movie adaptation. In general GoT excels in that regard, especially for a book with such complexity.

I thought this season was good. The RW was really the finale and the last ep really set up next season. I don't think they could have let the season hang after the RW episode. There was way too much emotion there.

The RW episode was, well, shocking.  Could not sleep at night b/c it was that good!

RW was even better in the book.  Completely unexpected what happened.  There was so much more detail in the book.  There was so much going on and you were thinking great.  I was reading thinking "Why does George keep distracting me with all this other stuff" and then BAM!  I dropped the book and was actually going to stop reading because of the whole RW.

The whole Sansa plot was heavily downplayed and no where near as exciting.  You feel sorry for her as her hope is constantly going up and down thru the whole book.  I definitely did not sense any of that in the series.

RW was even better in the book. Completely unexpected what happened. There was so much more detail in the book. There was so much going on and you were thinking great. I was reading thinking "Why does George keep distracting me with all this other stuff" and then BAM! I dropped the book and was actually going to stop reading because of the whole RW.

The whole Sansa plot was heavily downplayed and no where near as exciting. You feel sorry for her as her hope is constantly going up and down thru the whole book. I definitely did not sense any of that in the series.

Ok. Good point on the Sansa plot. You get a taste for the up and down in the series but they sold it better in season 1 and 2.

My problem is I can't remember what happened in which book and keep thinking the tv series has glassed over or changed something when it just hasn't happened yet.

Ok. Good point on the Sansa plot. You get a taste for the up and down in the series but they sold it better in season 1 and 2.

My problem is I can't remember what happened in which book and keep thinking the tv series has glassed over or changed something when it just hasn't happened yet.

Agreed, season 1 and 2 were done better.  I felt this season was rushed but they did do a good job on torturing Theon.  I can't remember them going in that much detail on the torture.

I always forget what happens when also.  For Clint's sake, I'll try not to say who dies next.

I am really looking forward to the continuation of the Arya story line. Talk about mindset, that girl is focused.

She has become my favorite character in the books, followed closely by Tyrion and John Snow.

Agree though I have it Arya, John, then Tyrion. Calling her focused is an understatement. And I actually like that the show has her a little older.

I sympathize with the Sansa arc but the way they established her character early on makes what happens through season 3 fit a "sleep in the bed you made" karma train.

Agree though I have it Arya, John, then Tyrion. Calling her focused is an understatement. And I actually like that the show has her a little older.

I sympathize with the Sansa arc but the way they established her character early on makes what happens through season 3 fit a "sleep in the bed you made" karma train.

I couldn't decide whether I prefer John Snow or Arya better.  John is the only one that has truly embodied his father's teaching (honor and duty before everything, except family), but Arya is just bad ass all around.  She's the youngest daughter and yet has used more cunning and, ruthlessness than any of the others.  Tyrion is just a genius so he'd definitely be a strong number 3.  The guy doesn't plan ahead a much as Varys or Littlefinger but he comes up with complex schemes in an instant and executes them.  

I completely agree about Sansa.  It's easy to forget that she screwed her family over big time by turning on her father.  I honestly just wanted her saved for her mother's sake.  Catherine Stark and Tyrion seem to have drawn the shortest straws in the books/series.  Well Eddard's straw was short too but that's only because someone cut the top off... :facepalm:

I don't think the TV show will be able to flesh out Arya's character as was done in the books and I don't think there's enough books left to get her up to a "faceless" unless it's in footnotes after the game of thrones is complete as far as GRRM is going to take it.

Every major character essentially goes through a transformation from one thing to something else that is essentially unrecognizable from where they started.

Theon, the proud and boisterous peacock to reek, the loathsome and humble.

Arya, the rebellious little girl to a faceless assassin

Jamie, the arrogant undefeatable king slayer, sister @#$%er to the humbled cripple in love with a homely giant woman.

Catelyn Stark, wife of a lord and hand, mother of a king to embodied vengeance. 

Cercei...beauty, queen, to, well, I won't spoil that one.

It goes on an on.

I think the problem facing GRRM is he's got too many irons in the fire.  There are too many concurrent story lines and not enough pages to wrap it all up.

Nevermind how Daenerys can possible get herself extricated from the Eastern continent with an army and what is she going to do if she does get to Westeros and finds that other prince has already raised his banners? 

The TV show glosses over a lot of detail, then you add in all the divergence from the books, such as Asha Greyjoy going on a rescue mission for Theon after Ramsay sent her his crank?  She didn't think much of Theon and would never have gone on such a mission.   That sort of breaks what's coming for both of them.  How could she have been at Deepwoods Motte for example if she's on a rescue mission?

There's just so much road to travel yet, I can't imagine anyone will be satisfied when we get to where we're going.

I've read all the books so far, and just cranked through all three seasons in the past month. The books were great, though I was getting tired of all the new characters and GRRM isn't killing off main characters fast enough to make up for it. I can't see how the tv show can keep up and follow the same path. Season 3 already has some fairly big divergences so I won't be surprised if you see more differences with the books as we go forward.

Honestly, I don't care if the show veers off from the books. This is the best acted show on tv in, well, ever. Standouts for me are Tyrion (I'd watch Peter Dinklage in anything), Sansa, Arya, Jaime, Margaery and , of course, Hodor. Daenerys' actress is blah and Jon Snow is a little over the top.

I've read all the books so far, and just cranked through all three seasons in the past month. The books were great, though I was getting tired of all the new characters and GRRM isn't killing off main characters fast enough to make up for it. I can't see how the tv show can keep up and follow the same path. Season 3 already has some fairly big divergences so I won't be surprised if you see more differences with the books as we go forward.

Honestly, I don't care if the show veers off from the books. This is the best acted show on tv in, well, ever. Standouts for me are Tyrion (I'd watch Peter Dinklage in anything), Sansa, Arya, Jaime, Margaery and , of course, Hodor. Daenerys' actress is blah and Jon Snow is a little over the top.

The way that Daenerys and Jon Snow are portray is a little blah so I'd agree with that.  But I can't help but think that maybe it does make sense.  

Daenerys is a young girl who has been told all her life that most of the known world rightfully belongs to her family.  Then she was sold by her brother and had to watch her husband die along with delivering a still-born son. These things give me the idea that maybe her self-righteous behavior and annoying tone makes some sense.  Also, I have a soft spot for Emilia Clarke.

Jon Snow is definitely portrayed as a little over the top but I think that growing up as the forgotten child would have that effect on you in real life.  Especially when your father was the Warden of the North.  Trying to fill those shoes from the shadows would leave anyone with a complex and having them trying just a bit too hard.

Just my 2 cents though my initial reaction was the same as yours friend.