Wolfy

Game of Thrones

Gotta remember the show is lagging by what: 2 and a half books? Plus the two more planned. That's enough time to keep the main characters and plots in line and wrap up the big storylines.

The bug question is whether they can keep the cast intact the whole time. Arya may be in her 30's by then.

Ok. Good point on the Sansa plot. You get a taste for the up and down in the series but they sold it better in season 1 and 2.

My problem is I can't remember what happened in which book and keep thinking the tv series has glassed over or changed something when it just hasn't happened yet.

Simple fact is that Because HBO does such Elaborate productions, their Production COSTS are huge..whuch is why they tend to make short seasons like this..to REALLY do justice to the story they'd be better off with 15 or 20 episode seasons, but it doesnt fit the HBO Model.  the Two biggest changes were the substitution of Gendery for Stannis' bastard, and the inclusion of Rob's Wife in the RW.  The first i dont mind because it leads into some of what happens between Stannis and Davos without trying to add more backstory.  Including the wife in the RW kind of closes off that whole branch of the family which is still very much alive, although relegated to deep background in the books, to be resurrected eventually i would assume.  One question for anyone who has read the books more recently than I, I dont remember Theon being Gelded by Reese Bolton..was that added in, or did it just slip my mind???

Simple fact is that Because HBO does such Elaborate productions, their Production COSTS are huge..whuch is why they tend to make short seasons like this..to REALLY do justice to the story they'd be better off with 15 or 20 episode seasons, but it doesnt fit the HBO Model.  the Two biggest changes were the substitution of Gendery for Stannis' bastard, and the inclusion of Rob's Wife in the RW.  The first i dont mind because it leads into some of what happens between Stannis and Davos without trying to add more backstory.  Including the wife in the RW kind of closes off that whole branch of the family which is still very much alive, although relegated to deep background in the books, to be resurrected eventually i would assume.  One question for anyone who has read the books more recently than I, I dont remember Theon being Gelded by Reese Bolton..was that added in, or did it just slip my mind???

Didn't read the books, but they added a lot to the torture portion so the actor would be in for the season. They dind't want the audience forgetting him, and as they have covered in many interviews, one of the things they had to do throughout is try and get the narrative for any major characters that linger into contiguous chunks. It's pretty hard to get someone to commit to two seasons on, two off, and than three more. 

Simple fact is that Because HBO does such Elaborate productions, their Production COSTS are huge..whuch is why they tend to make short seasons like this..to REALLY do justice to the story they'd be better off with 15 or 20 episode seasons, but it doesnt fit the HBO Model. the Two biggest changes were the substitution of Gendery for Stannis' bastard, and the inclusion of Rob's Wife in the RW. The first i dont mind because it leads into some of what happens between Stannis and Davos without trying to add more backstory. Including the wife in the RW kind of closes off that whole branch of the family which is still very much alive, although relegated to deep background in the books, to be resurrected eventually i would assume. One question for anyone who has read the books more recently than I, I dont remember Theon being Gelded by Reese Bolton..was that added in, or did it just slip my mind???

Agree on the Gendery swap. It made sense and didn't change the arc too much.

The wife at the RW was interesting in that it settled one of the big questions many book readers had; Whether Rob had a child from the wife who was never mentioned again after the RW but could pop up as an heir in later books. The TV series ended that possibility (since Martin is consulted on any plot deviations).

The torture of Theon was not shown in the books. It starts simply with a character Reek and we do t find out that it is Theon until later. Can't do that with TV easily. Agree showing e torture keeps the after involved and the audience aware

Robb Stark's wife in the books was Jeyne Westerling. In the the show he marries Talisa Maegyr. While the roles are essentially the same, Jeyne was left at Riverrun and Talisa went to the twins with Robb and met her demise at the rw. Most of Jeyne was not in the books so we assume they wanted an active love interest for the show.

Ramsay Bolton also never sent Theon's member, he sent a strip of skin from Theon's finger. The timing is off too. In the books Balon Greyjoy is long dead, but in the show Balon reads the letter and tosses it in the fire. Asha was not happy about Theon but she wasnt about to go rescue him. It all becomes moot after Asha flees deepwoods motte. I guess in the show she and theon will end up where the books put them just that Asha got there a different way.

I liked the Gendry swap. It simplified some things. The whole bit about Davos and the little girl was to give Davos more air time and it worked. These types of changes are for the better.

Robb Stark's wife in the books was Jeyne Westerling. In the the show he marries Talisa Maegyr. While the roles are essentially the same, Jeyne was left at Riverrun and Talisa went to the twins with Robb and met her demise at the rw. Most of Jeyne was not in the books so we assume they wanted an active love interest for the show.

Ramsay Bolton also never sent Theon's member, he sent a strip of skin from Theon's finger. The timing is off too. In the books Balon Greyjoy is long dead, but in the show Balon reads the letter and tosses it in the fire. Asha was not happy about Theon but she wasnt about to go rescue him. It all becomes moot after Asha flees deepwoods motte. I guess in the show she and theon will end up where the books put them just that Asha got there a different way.

I liked the Gendry swap. It simplified some things. The whole bit about Davos and the little girl was to give Davos more air time and it worked. These types of changes are for the better.

I agree, they have to cut so much to compress the book into a season that simplification of some of the plot lines is needed..however, by NOT Finishing out the book this season, and leaving out 2 incredibly important scenes, it is going to impact the next season and book, either by making it longer (Good thing) or having to cut even More..BAD thing

You guys know that HBO is splitting book three into two seasons right?

I didnt know that until now....thanks...makes a little more sense, and it give the author more time to finish the next damned book

Just started watching in late December on HBOGo. All finished, now just waiting for the new season, might have to pick up the books while I wait.

Read the books. There is far more in depth character development in the books and many more characters that you will say to yourself why wasn't so and so in the tv series.

Ever read through a thread spanning years and be amazed at what you wrote? Wow

And I can't wait for this season. GOT is the only reason I still have HBO.

I think Martin's ultimate cliff hanger is that he is going to die before the last book is finished. To be finished by J.K. Rowling.

Read the books. There is far more in depth character development in the books and many more characters that you will say to yourself why wasn't so and so in the tv series.

While very true, this series does probably the best job I've ever seen trying to match the books.

I think Martin's ultimate cliff hanger is that he is going to die before the last book is finished. To be finished by J.K. Rowling.

interesting choice of author. theres a picture for that.

Adorable.jpg

While very true, this series does probably the best job I've ever seen trying to match the books.

I do agree. Especially season/book 1. But it's really not a bar that has been set very high by other shows/movies. And they are getting worse. This last season and this one coming they have omitted so many characters and while not spoiling anything on purpose it does imply that those characters will be irrelevant to the ending of the series which does actually spoil quite a bit. For example a specific eye patch wearing pirate comes to mind who is all set to play a huge role in book 6. And he doesn't exist in the show, giving away how his huge upcoming role in the books will end. If characters by the name Griff and Young Griff don't appear this season either I am all set to give up on the show. Another HUGE plot line being completely omitted which spoils everything. If they're not in the show at all clearly they won't have any real impact in the books despite being set up to shake Westeros to its core.

Anyway I would say the biggest reason to read the books is because thats where all the info is that lets you theorize about the future. All that small stuff is the first to get cut from the scrip. And if you let the internet help you down the rabbit hole you discover hundreds of crazy conspiracy theories that all make perfect sense. And it's the books this information comes from. It's the books where Pycelle mentions a poison called Widow's Blood that is missing from his collection and just exactly what the poison does. It's the books that show Oberyn's cocky attitude toward dealing with and punishing the Lannisters. The show shows his hatred yes but the books showed a confidence that justice will be (or possibly has been???) served. Hunting through that info and coming up with the theory that if Tyrion hadn't used that crossbow, Tywin would have been gone in a few days anyway is by far the most fun part of the series. Then there is R+L=J, where in the world is benjen?, azor ahai reborn, faegon, and various other theories that are more fun to read and think about than the actual books themselves were. So I say read the books and pay attention to EVERYTHING. Like this constantly repeated line from Book 1 that is usually overlooked that provides huge insight into a very important theory:  "Promise me Ned." 

Well multiple people have said that the TV show will be finished before the books. Even Martin has suggested it is probable at this point, and that if that has to be the case, people should view it like they do different writers having runs with different story arcs for the same cahracters in comic books.

IMO, if you want coherence between versions, you want Martin to kick it ASAP, and the estate can call in Brandond Sanderson and the writers of the TV show, and they can hammer out the rest of the series. It'll be done in a couple years. That dude writes like a machine.

Well multiple people have said that the TV show will be finished before the books. Even Martin has suggested it is probable at this point, and that if that has to be the case, people should view it like they do different writers having runs with different story arcs for the same cahracters in comic books.

IMO, if you want coherence between versions, you want Martin to kick it ASAP, and the estate can call in Brandond Sanderson and the writers of the TV show, and they can hammer out the rest of the series. It'll be done in a couple years. That dude writes like a machine.

I've heard that too. I didn't think it would be a problem back in season 1 or 2 but now? Yeah, I think the show will catch up with the books before the series is properly finished. I don't know what I think he right ended would be then.. They can't wait for Martin, the cast would be too I,d and they'd lose their audience. But writing an ending that branches from the book is equally unappealing to me. Even if both a good.. They'd be different.

Unless they pull a Dallas and make the show ending all Ned Stark's dream back in Winterfell.

I've heard that too. I didn't think it would be a problem back in season 1 or 2 but now? Yeah, I think the show will catch up with the books before the series is properly finished. I don't know what I think he right ended would be then.. They can't wait for Martin, the cast would be too I,d and they'd lose their audience. But writing an ending that branches from the book is equally unappealing to me. Even if both a good.. They'd be different.

Unless they pull a Dallas and make the show ending all Ned Stark's dream back in Winterfell.

How much have you been drinking? lol although i agree with you (i think). personally i think it was stupid as hell to start adapting a series that wasn't finished yet. especially because when they started it was already like 8 years since book 4 came out and still no book 5. kind of a warning sign imo. but you're right if he cant write like the wind and stay ahead of the show then there is no happy ending. i think the show will suffer and spoil the books at the same time. everybody loses. 

I've not re-read this thread, but in case it was missed, Mr. Martin has already outlined all the plot arcs for the major characters to the producers of the series.  He could drop dead today and the story would continue as planned based on what the author originally intended.

I've not re-read this thread, but in case it was missed, Mr. Martin has already outlined all the plot arcs for the major characters to the producers of the series. He could drop dead today and the story would continue as planned based on what the author originally intended.

That's why you can find plenty of spoilers if you pay attention to the casting of the show.