Wolfy

Game of Thrones

32 minutes ago, EngineerJet said:

Sorry, it seems a stretch to me that the reason for developing his lineage, building two seasons dedicated to that lineage in conjunction with his honorable character making him the best suited for a righteous ruler, was just so he can get past a gaurd dog when the time came, does not seem remotely reasonable to infer from the show. Maybe that is what you interpreted it as. But I'll be damned if that is what the writers/george r.r. martin intended.

I don’t know that I agree.  While Jon’s lineage has been a fan theory for years, how much actual screen time was dedicated to it?  A couple s7 episodes with Bran looking back and also Sam at the citadel.  I thought the payoff would have been bigger but thinking about it seemed to align with how much the show dedicated to it 

54 minutes ago, EngineerJet said:

Sorry, it seems a stretch to me that the reason for developing his lineage, building two seasons dedicated to that lineage in conjunction with his honorable character making him the best suited for a righteous ruler, was just so he can get past a gaurd dog when the time came, does not seem remotely reasonable to infer from the show. Maybe that is what you interpreted it as. But I'll be damned if that is what the writers/george r.r. martin intended.

What makes you think honorable character  and being a righteous ruler have anything to do with the plot of this series?

Ned Stark was arguable the most honorable man in the show and was portrayed as being the best possible choice for king out of anyone in the whole series.  And they lopped his head off on the 9th episode.

This wasn’t a story about people, their lineage, or their character. This was a story about a kingdom.

I think this is kind of funny, but I finally got around to watching Game of Thrones for the first time on Sunday night.  My brother and his wife were over, and they wanted to see the finale, so we were good sports and went along with it.  As you might imagine, the show was vaguely interesting, but without any context, I just kind of watched for awhile, then fell asleep.  I guess I'll eventually have to get around to watching the previous eight seasons. 

31 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

What makes you think honorable character  and being a righteous ruler have anything to do with the plot of this series?

Ned Stark was arguable the most honorable man in the show and was portrayed as being the best possible choice for king out of anyone in the whole series.  And they lopped his head off on the 9th episode.

This wasn’t a story about people, their lineage, or their character. This was a story about a kingdom.

Well people don't follow stories about a kingdom, they follow characters. The whole following of the show was team Stark or team team Lannister, etc. Based on the characters within their particular house. If your takeaway is that this is a show about the kingdom then that's your interpretation. Doesn't mean it's justifies the wasted character arcs. Still far-fetched he needed to be a targarean just to make it by her dragon. 

1 hour ago, EngineerJet said:

Still far-fetched he needed to be a targarean just to make it by her dragon. 

That wasn't why they made him targ.  His more legitimate claim to the throne was one of the major facets to Dany going “mad” and sacking KL. Prior to that she thought she had a politically subservient partner. His claim upended that. Couple that with Jorah and Missendai’s death and she had lost all her trusted advisors. She felt betrayed and abandoned and took it out on the city. 

• Like 1

Dragon riding has a special bond like warging. Warging leaves some of you in the animal and the big theory is some of Dany was in Drogon. Since she loves Jon, Drogon loved Jon. This is why he specifically burns the throne. If Dany can't have it, nobody will.

targs have killed each other with dragons many times over in their history. Being a Targ doesn't keep you safe from dragons or fire, as we saw with Danny's brother Viserys.

GRRM's fault the final season was only 6 episodes. Ideally, all of season 8 would've been around the night king and season 9 would've revolved around taking the iron throne. There just wasn't enough material since the books aren't done (and no near finish in sight) and the cast and crew were way past ready to move on. Not everyone wanted to continue doing the show so they just finished it.

cant blame him for enjoying himself. Yippee ki yay. Good for him.

I didn't love the finale but I didn't hate it either. The show had to end and this was just an ending.

2 hours ago, EngineerJet said:

Well people don't follow stories about a kingdom, they follow characters. The whole following of the show was team Stark or team team Lannister, etc. Based on the characters within their particular house. If your takeaway is that this is a show about the kingdom then that's your interpretation. Doesn't mean it's justifies the wasted character arcs. Still far-fetched he needed to be a targarean just to make it by her dragon. 

False. 

You just watched 8 seasons of a show about a kingdom. A story of a realm - not a race, a family, or an individual. You may not like that fact, but it wasn’t your story to tell. George RR Martin has said since the beginning the kingdom is the main character.

I was never Team Stark or Team Lannister or any other house. I was Team Westeros. We were watching a history, not a biography.

9 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

False. 

You just watched 8 seasons of a show about a kingdom. A story of a realm - not a race, a family, or an individual. You may not like that fact, but it wasn’t your story to tell. George RR Martin has said since the beginning the kingdom is the main character.

I was never Team Stark or Team Lannister or any other house. I was Team Westeros. We were watching a history, not a biography.

Very presumptuous to tell me what I was watching. I was watching Jon snows story since he took over nights watch. But how clever of you to tell me I didn't know that I was secretly more interested in the kingdom this entire time!

Yeah...GOT is so popular because of team westoros.

6 minutes ago, EngineerJet said:

Very presumptuous to tell me what I was watching. 

We all watched the same thing... 

There is a reason that all those actors got paid the same "very large sum" of money per episode... there was never a main character, a single story line, or even consistent character development. At any point a major element of the show could be removed, completely upending the direction of the stories development. 

IMO Jon Snows character never developed. He always seemed lost in the series.

31 minutes ago, EngineerJet said:

Very presumptuous to tell me what I was watching. I was watching Jon snows story since he took over nights watch. But how clever of you to tell me I didn't know that I was secretly more interested in the kingdom this entire time!

Yeah...GOT is so popular because of team westoros.

You misunderstand. I’m not telling you what you found interesting and engaging.

I’m saying that the author himself has stated he was telling a story about a nation. This was his story to tell, we were just along for the ride.

If you can understand his perspective and intent of the story, the details of the characters - IMO - make more sense and make the episodes more enjoyable.

George RR Martins has said that the books will have a similar ending, but I suspect he will fill in a lot more holes along the way so that the ending actually makes sense. D&D were told what the ending was supposed to be but it seems they fast tracked towards that ending. GRRM has said that there was enough source material to continue for beyond 4 seasons. After gathering my thoughts, my issue is D&D botched it all by trying to rush it. They say its not about the destination, its the journey. And they fucked the journey up.

1 hour ago, EngineerJet said:

George RR Martins has said that the books will have a similar ending, but I suspect he will fill in a lot more holes along the way so that the ending actually makes sense. D&D were told what the ending was supposed to be but it seems they fast tracked towards that ending. GRRM has said that there was enough source material to continue for beyond 4 seasons. After gathering my thoughts, my issue is D&D botched it all by trying to rush it. They say its not about the destination, its the journey. And they fucked the journey up.

I would argue that, yes, another half dozen episodes would have helped things be better and not rushed. 

I would ALSO argue that you could have stolen those half dozen episodes from previous seasons. 

The moral of the story? 

Don't wait for GRRM to finish shit and pace things faster than his writing goes form the start. Also posisbly don't buy unfinished shit. 

• Like 1

First confirmed prequel looks like it will be out next year. Already changed the name from long night to blood moon.

Already a long running theory that the night king is a Stark bastard of Bael the Bard the wildling king and a Stark princess. I'm betting they build up a Jon Snow like character that we will love the next turn him bad like Daenarys's character arc. 

10 minutes ago, Lakota said:

About the only familiar thing you will see is the children of the forest, dragons and maybe an early targaryen race

And, presumably, errant coffee cups and water bottles in a few scenes.

• Haha 1