reed338

fun gun for steel

Heck Bob, you reload and that's a nice 6" 1911. Be good for USPSA also, so when you getting it??

just want to check to see if i was making a bad decision or not . but as for when it will take at least 2 months i guess if i go this route .

It's a fun gun for steel but overkill IMHO. Go with a 9mm or .40 cal to cut costs almost in half.

However I shoot 3-4 matches a month so it adds up quickly. If I could afford to shoot 45 every time I would.

Let your ammo budget decide. Guns are cheap, ammo is expensive.

It's a fun gun for steel but overkill IMHO. Go with a 9mm or .40 cal to cut costs almost in half.

However I shoot 3-4 matches a month so it adds up quickly. If I could afford to shoot 45 every time I would.

Let your ammo budget decide. Guns are cheap, ammo is expensive.

i will reload and cast my bullets so the ammo really wont be a big cost .but is the gun an ok or good gun ?

.45 plus steel isn't usually the recommended formula. For a 1911, a 9mm with lighter loads will play the game much better. With .45, by the time you slow down the bullet enough to cut recoil to anything near the 9mm in a 1911 level, you risk intact bullets bouncing back at you. At least static steel. Knockdown steel is a different matter. A lighter .45 bullet loaded on the light end of the scale, in a 5" gun transitions pretyt nicely, has decent recoil, and will definitely still knock stuff down.

I use 45 for steel all the time. Just load it light and you'd be surprised how well it performs.

Nothing beats a 9mm though. Eventually I want a 9mm 1911 dedicated for steel.

I shoot tmj hardball for steel and being it is my hd gun I like. If does get expensive but I don't reload yet and even when I do reload I think once every couple of matches I will shoot the hardball just to stay in pratice . I consider gun games fun but also prep with my hd gun. Ps I also usually shoot the .22 iron division not that is just fun :) . Nice gun I think you will like it

I have almost the same gun Bob. Mine isn't the Target version, but looks almost identical. After shooting it back to back with my 625 revolver, I shoot the revolver instead. Why? Because the 1911 is so nice looking and I want it to stay that way! The revolver is simply a good tool but isn't pretty so I beat on her a lot! :)

For steel I think you'll want a 9mm 1911 rather than .45 ACP. Its cheaper and some ranges have an issue with larger calibers damaging the steel targets. A 9mm 1911 is also incredibly pleasant and fun to shoot.

He is casting his own bullets and reloading, cost is not a factor. Also, Old Bridge has no issue with .45 at the steel matches.

I have almost the same gun Bob. Mine isn't the Target version, but looks almost identical. After shooting it back to back with my 625 revolver, I shoot the revolver instead. Why? Because the 1911 is so nice looking and I want it to stay that way! The revolver is simply a good tool but isn't pretty so I beat on her a lot! :)

I understand but this thing will get run through its paces and it better perform . for what u pay for theese guns it should last a life time. my cheap hi points have worked well past my expetations and continue to keep shooting . 1/3 of the time i cant hit shit but the gun still works . i expect the same from this one . we will see

well it followed me home on tuesday 7/24

the wife even likes it not sure thats a good thing

still need to try it out mabe tomorrow

well ran 3 mags through it no problems i also like the way it handles. it is not like the 4.5 " hi point . this gun seems to have some what less recoil fun to shoot still cant hit shit ...