Maksim

Movies that you can't help but watch over and over

I remember how years ago Philly 57 used to have afternoon movies. I think they called it their "Action Pack" in a six hour block mid afternoon on Saturdays. So you basically got 3 movies. Sometimes it was Kung Fu, but that is where I first saw movies like Missing In Action, Death Wish, House, Dogs of War, Bridge Over the River Kwai.

Yes, It was Daniell, and she probably got the Z Cavariccis from the Merry-Go-Round store in the Echelon Mall. This was back when the cool kids hung out in the Echelon Mall food court and smoked - back when you *could* smoke in a mall.

Maybe it's just me, but 1986 was probably the best year ever for movies: Aliens, Top Gun, Lucas, Cobra, The Delta Force, Three Amigos, Pretty In Pink, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Platoon, The Fly (With Jeff Goldbloom) Crocodile Dundee, Gung Ho!, Karate Kid Part II ("I am the man who fight for your honor..."), Back To School, Spacecamp, Big Trouble in Little China, F/X (Great film), HEARTBREAK RIDGE ("It makes a very distinctive sound"), Iron Eagle ("CHAPPIE!!!!!"), Short Circut ("Number 5 is Alive").

If you went to High School and don't understand Lucas, you have no soul.

Solarbabies, Quicksilver and Wisdom all came out that year too, but I can't call them great movies.

There are many movies I'll stop and watch even though I have them in my collection and can watch them whenever... some that come to mind and haven't been mentioned yet:

Alien

Aliens

Terminator

Serenity

Fifth Element

Patton

Unforgiven and practically any Clint Eastwood movie (not Bridges of Madison County!)

Dr. Doo-me-a-little.

Rambone

American Booty

In Diana Jones And The Temple Of Poon.

You Sir will no doubt be looking forward to a completely different award ceremony.....

Die Hard

It is on TV all the time, and whenever I come across it, no matter what point of the movie, I end up watching it. It is almost like I forget everything else that was going on. Going out with friends? Oh crap, I'm sorry, Die Hard was on. Watching the World Series? What was I watching again...I don't know, Die Hard is on. Got to call mom for her birthday....oooh! Die Hard, that's must be that thing I set a reminder for, phew! Season finale of my favorite show is on tonight! I can't wai....Die Hard is on? Yes!

I have never seen any other movie more than Die Hard, and the only movie that is even close...The Fifth Element.

• Like 1

I cannot limit myself to just one... The top "two" would be:

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and Braveheart

But, there are so many others as well...

Planes, Trains and Automobiles; Vision Quest; The Dead Poet Society; The Godfather II; Star Wars (first 3), The Terminator, Christmas Vacation, Roxanne, Apocalypse Now, Citizen Kane, Schindler's List, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Unforgiven, Hang Em High, Good, Bad and the Ugly, For a Few Dollars More, Back to the Future, Gran Torino, First Blood, The Last of the Mohegan's, and of course The Patriot.

It would have to be Braveheart... It's got everything... an amazing and hauntingly beautiful music score and an intense story, though maybe not too historical. The hero is a natural leader, an underdog with a humbleness and resistance to seeking power... Although the violence is a little excessive it captures that time in history and is tempered by the softer moments of deep humanity here and there in the film, and within the setting of the beautiful Scottish countryside. Braveheart is full of grand and beautiful scenes, intense battle sequences, and it has the love story aspect, the struggle of all time between good and evil, and the resistance of the underdog and the individual against tyranny. The total package is amazing. And, the message of the movie is very inspiring!

"Man on Fire" ... if I really had to pick just one that'd be The One.

"The Searchers" is an extremely close second (sorry Duke) followed by "Lawrence of Arabia" and then ... "Death Proof" LOL! Don't judge meeeeeeeee!!!! Yeah, gotta fit "Tropic Thunder" in there someplace too! HAHA!

Lots of other great suggestions in this thread.

*edit* Just thought of another one - "Iron Man" is awesome!