JamesC

Hello from Boston

Hey All,

My name is James - I'm moving to NJ this summer and am looking for a good shooting community. I have read up on the NJ gun laws and even had a consultation with a firearms lawyer. Now I'm looking for like minded people that I can share this sport with in my new home town.

I'm looking to learn and build skills while operating within the laws of my new state. Also, I'm looking into starting to compete with IDPA in order to meet people and train more.

Thanks,

James

Lucky you ll have a range in town , so you dont have to go far for practice.

http://www.casosguns...e_gun_range.asp

Thanks, DamjanBlues. I've heard about the range and seen signs for it on my visits over the last year. Hopefully, I'll be able to get over there next weekend to see what it's all about. However, my move isn't for a while and since I don't have a permanent address in NJ now, I can't get a license and therefore not a FID etc.

I know here in MA you can't even touch a firearm without displaying your FID/LTC etc. Do you think it would be worthwhile dropping into the range Sunday to see who's around?

Thanks, DamjanBlues. I've heard about the range and seen signs for it on my visits over the last year. Hopefully, I'll be able to get over there next weekend to see what it's all about. However, my move isn't for a while and since I don't have a permanent address in NJ now, I can't get a license and therefore not a FID etc.

I know here in MA you can't even touch a firearm without displaying your FID/LTC etc. Do you think it would be worthwhile dropping into the range Sunday to see who's around?

I `ve never been there on a sunday but i know that some members go there on sunday`s. There is a thread in the Events and Meetups on this , look it up and connect with someone. If you want to shoot someone`s gun you can do with their permission without FID provided you`re over 18 and not a prohibited person.

http://law.onecle.co...ice/58-3.1.html

Are you bringing any guns from MA to NJ?

Are you bringing any guns from MA to NJ?

I will be bringing a few. I think that I may end up selling some here before leaving to help with moving and initial housing costs - company isn't covering any since it's a personal move. Currently in my gun safe:

• S&W M&P45 Full Size (MA Compliant)
  • S&W M&P15FT (MA Compliant)
  • S&W 6906 Compact 9mm
  • S&W 617 K-22 .22 cal
  • S&W 422 .22 cal target
  • Rem 700 SPS Varmint

I think the first two guns will be finding new homes. Glocks are near impossible to get in this state. I went to NH to have the opportunity to shoot the G17 and fell in love. I understand they are much easier to come by (so long as you can get the P2P) in NJ.

Glad I'm not a prohibited person, for one. I saw the thread - I'll reach out this week.

I will be bringing a few. I think that I may end up selling some here before leaving to help with moving and initial housing costs - company isn't covering any since it's a personal move. Currently in my gun safe:

• S&W M&P45 Full Size (MA Compliant)
  • S&W M&P15FT (MA Compliant)
  • S&W 6906 Compact 9mm
  • S&W 617 K-22 .22 cal
  • S&W 422 .22 cal target
  • Rem 700 SPS Varmint

I think the first two guns will be finding new homes. Glocks are near impossible to get in this state. I went to NH to have the opportunity to shoot the G17 and fell in love. I understand they are much easier to come by (so long as you can get the P2P) in NJ.

Glad I'm not a prohibited person, for one. I saw the thread - I'll reach out this week.

Welcome!

You're trading one crappy gun state for another - on the brighter side for you, all semi auto Glocks are legal here as long as the mags hold less than 15 rounds. P2Ps are shall issue, so if your not a prohibited person they must give it to you, although that can take months in some towns. Remember to apply for all the permits (you need one per handgun) you intend to use in the next 6 months, at the same time you apply for your FID.

Welcome!

Remember to apply for all the permits (you need one per handgun) you intend to use in the next 6 months, at the same time you apply for your FID.

Are you sure that previously purchased firearms require the owner to produce Permits to Purchase upon entry into the state? I thought that so long as you transit direct to my home and secure as required, you can bring in your firearms into the state without permit or registration.

• Like 1

Are you sure that previously purchased firearms require the owner to produce Permits to Purchase upon entry into the state? I thought that so long as you transit direct to my home and secure as required, you can bring in your firearms into the state without permit or registration.

No, P2Ps are for new acquisitions only, if you bought your guns legally in Mass and they are not "assault weapons" under NJ law (which I don't believe any of those you listed are), you can bring them here without doing any paperwork. Save any paperwork you have from MA for those guns incase you ever need to prove you bought them legally.

I should have said - get all the permits you will need for all the handguns you intend to buy in the next 6 months after you move here.

...Save any paperwork you have from MA for those guns incase you ever need to prove you bought them legally.

I should have said - get all the permits you will need for all the handguns you intend to buy in the next 6 months after you move here.

Roger - heard loud and clear. Unfortunately some of those were not purchased by me but were rather hand-me-downs from my father, the firearms that I learned to shoot with. I've been reading through peoples' stories about their permitting processes. Bayonne's website says just print out the form and bring it in - there's no mention of references, mental health forms, or even fingerprints. Any links to a good article?

They may not mention them but, they are required. Here are the forms:

http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sts-033.pdf

http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sp-066.pdf

The Local PD will give you the info to set up a digital finger printing appointment with Morpho Trac.

• Like 1

For the references - I assume they ask you to submit their addresses etc. when you submit. Do they have to be NJ residents? County residents (NY standard)?

Thanks - James

Depends on the town. I would not hesitate to put out of state references however.

James, do you have to turn in your Mass FID/LTC when you move out of state? Some states require it like NY for the pistol permit, I was curious about Mass laws. I also read that to get a LTC is very difficult in Boston, but not too much problem in the rest of the state.

Thanks