JamesC

Hello from Boston

James, do you have to turn in your Mass FID/LTC when you move out of state? Some states require it like NY for the pistol permit, I was curious about Mass laws. I also read that to get a LTC is very difficult in Boston, but not too much problem in the rest of the state. Thanks

Hey Midwest.

I don't have to physically send the license back but I must notify via certified mail the issuing authority and the Firearms Registration Bureau of my move. At such a time as they receive the notice, my LTC will be void. Failure to send this change of address within 30 days of moving is cause for future disqualification for licensing in the state of Massachusetts... forever.

Getting an LTC Class A isn't "harder" in Boston but there is almost no chance of getting an "Unrestricted Class A" - the one in which you can carry at anytime for "All lawful purposes." My LTC Class A is restricted to the fuzzily defined "sporting" purposes which means to and from my home and activities such as target shooting, hunting, hiking, fishing, backpacking, etc. The cities and towns surrounding Boston are known to be very stingy with the unrestricted licenses.

The LTC process in general is pretty arduous no matter where you are in the state - 8 hour class, $300+ membership to a club, 2 hours of shooting with a police officer or NRA trainer to prove accuracy, fingerprints, background check, letters of reference (3). That said, once you're in the system you can buy any firearm that's approved for the state at any time and in any quantity.

Thanks James, I been studying the various gun control laws of the states for some time. Your Mass LTC Class A restriction is very similar to some (upstate) counties of New York State. Some (upstate) counties have unrestricted , others have the restrictions to camping, hiking and hunting. It varies from county to county. NYC is a whole different animal altogether.

From what I was able to gather, the inspiration for Mass FID system and the Illinois FOID system came from New Jersey's FID requirement in 1966. Illinois started their (Firearm Owners ID) requirement in 1968. I don't have an exact date for Mass. ...I think Massachusetts started theirs in the early 1970's. Looks like you will have more of a choice of handguns in NJ than Mass because NJ doesn't have handgun roster like Mass has.

Welcome to the forum and to the state.

Hey Midwest.

I don't have to physically send the license back but I must notify via certified mail the issuing authority and the Firearms Registration Bureau of my move. At such a time as they receive the notice, my LTC will be void. Failure to send this change of address within 30 days of moving is cause for future disqualification for licensing in the state of Massachusetts... forever.

Getting an LTC Class A isn't "harder" in Boston but there is almost no chance of getting an "Unrestricted Class A" - the one in which you can carry at anytime for "All lawful purposes." My LTC Class A is restricted to the fuzzily defined "sporting" purposes which means to and from my home and activities such as target shooting, hunting, hiking, fishing, backpacking, etc. The cities and towns surrounding Boston are known to be very stingy with the unrestricted licenses.

The LTC process in general is pretty arduous no matter where you are in the state - 8 hour class, $300+ membership to a club, 2 hours of shooting with a police officer or NRA trainer to prove accuracy, fingerprints, background check, letters of reference (3). That said, once you're in the system you can buy any firearm that's approved for the state at any time and in any quantity.

Just trying to understand........ do you need the LTC to buy any gun in MA, or does it allow you to buy certain firearms that you cannot buy otherwise?

By the way, if you don't know already, don't bother trying to get a carry permit in NJ, these are administered statewide by the state police and they almost never give them out.

Just trying to understand........ do you need the LTC to buy any gun in MA, or does it allow you to buy certain firearms that you cannot buy otherwise?

By the way, if you don't know already, don't bother trying to get a carry permit in NJ, these are administered statewide by the state police and they almost never give them out.

The way it works:

1. Restricted FID: Purchase and posses MACE
  2. FID: Purchase and posses non-high capacity long guns, ammunition, and MACE
  3. LTC Class B: Purchase and posses non-high capacity handguns, all lawful long guns, ammunition, MACE (May not carry a loaded firearm either concealed or cased)
  4. LTC Class A: Purchase and posses all lawful handguns, long guns, ammunition, MACE (May carry a loaded firearm concealed per the restrictions on your license)

I've heard about the craziness of CCW in NJ. I wish it weren't so impossible if for no other reason that you don't have to worry as much about getting stopped or feeling like a criminal everywhere.

The way it works:

1. Restricted FID: Purchase and posses MACE
  2. FID: Purchase and posses non-high capacity long guns, ammunition, and MACE
  3. LTC Class B: Purchase and posses non-high capacity handguns, all lawful long guns, ammunition, MACE (May not carry a loaded firearm either concealed or cased)
  4. LTC Class A: Purchase and posses all lawful handguns, long guns, ammunition, MACE (May carry a loaded firearm concealed per the restrictions on your license)

I've heard about the craziness of CCW in NJ. I wish it weren't so impossible if for no other reason that you don't have to worry as much about getting stopped or feeling like a criminal everywhere.

WOW, they require government permission to carry Mace - and we think NJ is bad. Here you can carry Mace, pepper spray, etc. largely without restriction as long as the container is under 3/4 of an ounce. P2Ps and FID are needed in NJ to buy firearms and handgun ammo, not own them. FID also allows you carry an unloaded long gun anywhere that is not restricted (schools, gov buildings, etc), although it not a good idea to try walking down the street with an uncased long gun because the cops WILL hassle and probably arrest you, even though you are within the law.

So.... does that mean in MA you can buy high cap mags and "assault" firearms if you have a LTC class A?

WOW, they require government permission to carry Mace - and we think NJ is bad. Here you can carry Mace, pepper spray, etc. largely without restriction as long as the container is under 3/4 of an ounce. P2Ps and FID are needed in NJ to buy firearms and handgun ammo, not own them. FID also allows you carry an unloaded long gun anywhere that is not restricted (schools, gov buildings, etc), although it not a good idea to try walking down the street with an uncased long gun because the cops WILL hassle and probably arrest you, even though you are within the law.

So.... does that mean in MA you can buy high cap mags and "assault" firearms if you have a LTC class A?

The Restricted FID for Mace/Pepper Spray (OC) is a SHALL ISSUE permit but they require the paperwork for purchase and possession.

I like the MA system because once you're in the system, you don't have to wait to buy a firearm or go back for a permit - that seems like the most annoying part of NJ. I was never bothered by the gun registration system but I understand why people don't appreciate it.

As to your last point, there is a still a baddy characteristics - AR mags cannot be more than 10rds unless mag was created before 98 (I think), no folding stock, 10lb trigger pull, minimum length, no muzzle-breaks, threaded barrels/silencers, or automatic/select fire. Those are for mortals - there are the select few that get all of the above. Additionally, there are guns that are outright banned - hence in my post I said "Lawful firearms."

The Restricted FID for Mace/Pepper Spray (OC) is a SHALL ISSUE permit but they require the paperwork for purchase and possession.

I like the MA system because once you're in the system, you don't have to wait to buy a firearm or go back for a permit - that seems like the most annoying part of NJ. I was never bothered by the gun registration system but I understand why people don't appreciate it.

As to your last point, there is a still a baddy characteristics - AR mags cannot be more than 10rds unless mag was created before 98 (I think), no folding stock, 10lb trigger pull, minimum length, no muzzle-breaks, threaded barrels/silencers, or automatic/select fire. Those are for mortals - there are the select few that get all of the above. Additionally, there are guns that are outright banned - hence in my post I said "Lawful firearms."

Bizarre regs you have there indeed - but that could also be said about NJ.

As far as our "assault weapon" ban, trigger pull and muzzle brakes are irrelevant, but on ARs threaded barrels, flash suppressors, bayonet lugs and collapsible stocks are all no-nos. Full auto is effectively banned for all guns, and all long guns must be a minimum of 26" in length. Mags are 15 round max capacity regardless of date of manufacture.

NJ does register nor limit the amount or frequency at which you can buy long guns. Hand guns have required a P2P since 1966, one handgun a month was bestowed on us buy our last Governor in 2009, who in his incompetent mind, thought it get him re elected - he was wrong, and went on to torpedo MF Global, a lot of us here will be glad if ends up going to jail over that.

Welcome, A lot of great info here.

No one mentioned it so I will. There is a law here I can't remember the statue #, but reads something about any Sox fan must pay for all ammo whenever shooting within 20 feet of anyone at a public or private range. I believe there are some limits so you don't have to worry about spending too much.

Welcome, A lot of great info here.

No one mentioned it so I will. There is a law here I can't remember the statue #, but reads something about any Sox fan must pay for all ammo whenever shooting within 20 feet of anyone at a public or private range. I believe there are some limits so you don't have to worry about spending too much.

I'll be sure to bring a case or two along for after the shoot :-)

Welcome to Jersey, and to the forums! Maybe I didn't catch it, but whereabouts are you from in Mass? I've got family up around the Gloucester area.

And if you want to see some great Super Bowl pics, I took a bunch while I was there.

Here's one to get started... :)

img5971b.jpg

Welcome to Jersey, and to the forums! Maybe I didn't catch it, but whereabouts are you from in Mass? I've got family up around the Gloucester area.

And if you want to see some great Super Bowl pics, I took a bunch while I was there.

Here's one to get started...

img5971b.jpg

I'm in the Boston/Brighton area. Nice pic!