If you venture out of state, most good sporting goods stores will carry topo maps (for example, Dunkelberger's in PA has them for all the state game lands in PA. They will even sell you ones that are waterproof.) There are tons of stuff online these days too. When I've ventured to big woods like N.Y.'s Adirondacks, Vermont's Green and White Mountains or the Maine bush, I've used a Gazetteer from DeLorme. They are invaluable. (This is old school, non-GoogleEarth, pre-GPS stuff.)

http://shop.delorme....kgo1uE%253AS%7E

I don't know anywhere in New Jersey where you can't walk out of in a day unless you are walking in circles. In some of the other states I've mentioned you can get lost in a big hurry on a cloudy day or should the weather turn quickly and then you can walk in the wrong direction for days and never see another human. A compass was a handy thing to have before cell phones and handhelds were invented.

You can download maps for anywhere in the US from the National Geoditic Survey (ngs.gov) or order paper copies for a fee.

GPS is great as long as it is working. Maps and compasses always work as long as you know how.

BTW I have a sextant I still know how to use.

I guess that would be good if you scout an area out to see if you can phsically get to a destination..

Fisherman use temperature charts before heading out.. it is illegal to use a plane to find fish.. not sure about topagraphical and weather or not you could spot fish with it..