Motofan

Vet status on NJ drivers License ??

Speaking to my neighbor today. He informed me of a 10% discount at Lowes and Home Depot for all vets.

He showed his DD 217 wallet card ? I never got one, just a dd214. I was doing some googling and found they don't issue this 217 anymore (He's over 65).

But I found this ? Would be easier than carrying around a dd214 to get 10% off lumber or big purchases

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2012/Bills/A1000/691_I1.HTM

What I've seen are the United States Uniformed Services I.D. card. Looks like it's also known as the DD form 1173. People used them as proof of service when I worked at Lowes, and they use them as I.D. now at my bank.

Once you seperate you are given a Uniformed Services ID card, which replaces your CAC card. It authorizes you as a civillian to have access to the PX and commissary. Also if you go to the VA they will issue you an ID card, if you receive VA benefits.

Sidenote: That 10% discount comes in handy, I redid my bathroom all the supplies from Home Depot cost $1000. With the discount I saved a hundred bucks. That's always nice. :)

Check with your township or county clerk. Here in Warren county I got my card thru the county clerks office. JohnP - I think the card you're talking about is if you retire from the armed forces or are in the reserves. Once discharged I don't believe you can use te PX unless you are active, retired or reserve, but I could be wrong about that.

And yea that 10% can come in handy!

JR Cigar gives vets a 10% discount too.

They accept a VFW card.

However the Lowes and Home Depot discount is for retired, active, reserve or disabled vets.

They extend the veterans discount to all vets on specific holiday weekends; memorial day, fourth of July and veteran's day. Home depot has a fourth holiday but I can't remember which one.

what a waste of time and effort by our useless legislature. Just got get a VA card from the VA hospital or join the VFW. Don't we waste enough money in this state? Now we want to have to pay someone to do the graphics for the card, change the programing, pay 13 managers to review the changes, pay to print up extra verification forms, pay for training to employees of the MVC to learn the new paper work.... All just so I and other vets can idetify ourselves slightly easier?????? :facepalm: