keithco88

First bolt rifle recommendations

Before you say it, yes I tried search about 3 times and couldn't find a thread like this. Probably user error, if there is one you know of just point me to it and I'll be happy.

I'm looking for my first bolt action rifle. Really my only requirement is that it handle .22LR or .223Rem because I'm not buyin another caliber. I'd like something that has a detachable mag for quicker reloads instead of needing to feed it into a fixed mag near the breech, that just seems ungodly slow and painful.

Purposes would mostly be just putting holes in paper. However if I'm gonna invest in something I'd be more than happy to go "all out" and get a gun that I can learn to shoot correctly and keep forever...but I'd really like to know if paying over $1000 for something like a Browning (guessing here, just an example) is really worth it compared to a Ruger or a Savage. Especially if it's a .223 I'd like something I could hunt with provided I find the right load for it, so maybe something with a 1:7 vs a 1:9 but I'm no expert here so if somebody tells me I can take out a deer at a reasonable distance with the right load on a 1:9 rifle then I'm cool with that.

If you do refer me to a firearm please provide a link or model #...tracking these things down on some websites (especially Mossberg and to a lesser extent Ruger!) is damn impossible without a model # because of all the variants factories seem to offer. Recommendations/experiences with scopes for any of your referrals also appreciated as this would be the first gun I'd bother putting optics on and I'm a total noob in that space. Oh are bipods worth it or just something else to lug around? Kinda easy to add after or better for factory to do it? (I'm thinking of the M77 Hawkeye and the new MVP from Mossberg here wrt the bipod)

Sorry for being all over the place & thanks in advance for either helping me or berating me into submission.

My first rifle was the Savage MkII bolt action rifle. It's a nice little gun, accurate, reliable, simple to maintain, and a pretty good price. It's .22lr, and has 10 round box magazines (they may make other sizes too, I don't know.) But for a bolt action .22lr, I highly recommend it.

If you were looking for other calibers, I'd recommend a VZ24, or Mauser, or Mosin. The old war stuff is great, and usually fairly cheap if you don't get a collector's piece.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIG

This is the one I have, I believe. It has the "Accutrigger" (two stage trigger) and the same stock as mine.

For a first bolt gun would recommend a Finn M39. Considering it is your first bolt gun you want fairly cheap ammo. The x54 round although it is another caliber for you it is also the cheapest centerfire rifle caliber on the market. Since it is your first you want something you can shoot often and not have to worry about ammo costs. The M39's are outstanding rifles and known for accuracy, they were produced by Finland all through the 70's and made by fameous makers such as Sako and Tikka. They are available through www.gunsnammo.com and southernohiogun.com. The ones at SOG are 225 right now and and a phenominal rifle for the money.

Given the criteria you list - I'd have to go with CZ's in either caliber - 455 American for the rimfire or 527 for the .223. Not a big difference in the 1:7 or 1:9 twist rate in the .223, what you want to avoid for big game is 1:12 which is common in .223 as it is thought of more as a varmint round (slower twist stabilizes lighter bullets), rather than big game. I'd have to agree and would not recommend this caliber for whitetail (where were you intending to hunt?). The advantage of the faster twist rates is that inexpensive ammo with bullet weights that are stabilized by those rates is so prevalent because of the plethora of EBR's chambered for that caliber.

As for rimfires, the 455 gives you the ability to switch barrels from .22LR to .17HMR. .22 for inexpensive plinking fun and the .17 for varmints and accuracy. No need to buy a second gun, just another barrel.

HTH

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Hey Keithco. I'm in the same boat as you. I was sold on the MVP, however I'm starting to have second thoughts. I've been looking at the Savage model 25 Walking Varminter, the CZ 527, The Tikka T3, and the Remington 700 SPS Tactical. All are just at or under 600+lite change. I won't spend a ton on something that will be nothing more than a range toy. However, I want to be able to easily change stocks and such so the Remmy is in the front of the pack.

Good luck.

C

Just researching magazine cost...leads me to the CZ, Savage mags are damn expensive unless I'm looking at the wrong ones.

I love the concept of the MVP using AR mags but I've seen a chunk of negative reviews about fit & finish issues from the factory, to be expected with a new production gun I suppose. All the other "detachable mag" .223 bolt guns have a really hokey way of reloading them. To me anyway, like I said I've got zero experience with bolt guns but it just seems so much more practical to slap a mag in the bottom than to need to feed rounds in one at a time. Am I totally missing something here?

I read the owners manual for the Remington 700 SPS and it says it's a hinged floorplate design. Didn't see any with detachable box mag. Plus when I google for the magazines nothing comes back except a conversion kit from Brownells and some hilarious forum threads about dudes that wish it was basically the MVP.

From what I can tell, unless you are going to build it yourself, there will be a compromise. Could be that it is a floorplate vs. DBM. could be that it's not the stock material you want. Could be the cost of mags. I'm pretty picky so, as I said, I feel ya!

All just my thoughts. I would say make a list of what you want, and then compare it to what is out there. Whatever is closest, wins.

C

FYI a Stevens is manufactured by Savage but doesn't come with an Accutrigger. Reviews are that the stock trigger is still pretty good. A model 300 is a mag fed 22lr that retails for about $200. I'm not sure what the mag availability is though.

Here's an offering from Impact Arms:

http://www.impactguns.com/stevens-300-with-scope-22lr-26310-062654263101.aspx

For a .22, I own two Marlin bolt actions, an XT-22, and a 25N. I've been pleased with both, expecially since I spent under $270 to get both. Magazines are cheap, the 7rd mags are around $10, 10rd mags are about $15. I'd suggest a new XT-22, probably the XT-22VR, with a heavier barrel than the basic model which I got. I like hte rifles so much that I will likely pick one up, as the heavy barrel model is only around $30-40 more than I paid for my basic model. My XT-22 has probably 4000 rounds through it, and no issues so far, other than ammo that doesn't like ANY of my .22s... I have my XT-22 paired with an el cheapo Bariska 3-9x50 scope I had lying around, the 25N has a Simmons 3-9x32 on it.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/xt/XT22.asp

For a bolt .223, I went with a Savage 10FCP-K. It features an accustock and accutrigger, fluted barrel with muzzle brake, and detachable 5rd mag (not 4 like most places seem to advertise it). I'm relatively new to precision shooting, and I've only put about 300-400 rounds downrange with it so far, but it is certainly holding up its part of the equation...(I, on the other hand, leave something to be desired). Magazines for the Savage are harder to come by, and average around $45 as far as I've seen...I really need to get one one of these days... Overall very happy with my purchase.... I know I paid around $900 for mine, but that is also after tax, NICS, and buying some ammo and cleaning supplies, so I forget what the rifle itself actually cost. Pair the rifle with a decent scope and you're set.

http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FCPK

I'd also consider some of the Remington 700 varmint series rifles, I'm sure there are some good offerings from them in .223. I considered this route myself, especially since I wanted to add an AICS stock to the rifle later on, but I liked the features and cost of the Savage up front. I'll just save up for a real AI rifle...

Use the firearms price request tool on the forums here, the vendors can give you quotes without having to call or drive around.