Little Red Rooster

New Glock 19 Gen 4

So I picked up my first handgun this past Thursday evening: a Glock 19 Gen 4. It was actually hard to track down a 4th gen and took a couple days, but finally found someone who had one arriving so I waited a few days and finally ended my long wait.

Went to Bullet Hole Friday and between my brother and I went through about 250+ rounds and it shot great. We used winchester 115gr white box and had zero issues.

Later that day, thanks to my YouTube watching for the past coupe weeks, I was able to field strip and wipe down the gun, removing all the buildup and black crap, but haven't oiled it yet (figured it was oiled at factory and that I didn't need to re-apply before first shoot).

-I didn't pickup gun oil yet, which I know is needed ASAP - so I wanted to ask the Glock guys here what oil they suggest for glocks??

-Also, bringing up what seems to be a constant topic here - What is the best and most affordable range ammo for my gun and where to buy it? I'm 99% target/range use for this gun so really just want to find a cheap, reliable, relatively clean ammo for target shooting. Any suggestions? Places with sales or free shipping?

Thanks for any replies, as a new gun owner I really appreciate the advice and opinions of the more experienced guys here. Thanks!

I don't have a glock but I like to oil up before the first use. I use Hoppes in my guns.

As far as ammo goes you'll probably find it cheapest online. Shop for deals. I tend to stay with cabalas and Sportsmans guide when they have free shipping. Brand will just have to be determined by what you like best.

Good luck with your purchase and welcome.

Congrats. I just got my first pistol yesterday, it was a G19 Gen4 as well. I was only able to put 50 rounds through it after purchasing ( I had no time left due to family commitments later in the afternoon).

Have not cleaned it yet because I was waiting till I hit 200 or so. I'm jealous you got to do that on the first day.

Did you change the back straps on yours? I have a medium hand but was shooting without any strap yesterday. I put on both the medium and large straps when I got home, and the large felt way better to me. I am looking forward to shooting that way next week.

Enjoy the new acquisition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use eezox and tetra gun grease. First I clean gun with eezox, wipe clean. Then put a light coat of eezox on on rails, and lube points, wait 10 min. Then put a dab of tetra gun grease on the 4 frame rails and trigger connecter contact point. Done.

Ammo: Speer Lawman 115gr or Federal American Eagle 115gr. Both are cheap and have velocities of approx 1200fps at the muzzle. It is the same as practicing with 124 +P hollow Points.

My 34 was a little dry when new so I put some lube on (Weapon Shield) before using it.

I don't think the kind of oil matters too much for Glocks. They'd probably run on canola

oil.

Congrats. I just got my first pistol yesterday, it was a G19 Gen4 as well. I was only able to put 50 rounds through it after purchasing ( I had no time left due to family commitments later in the afternoon).

Have not cleaned it yet because I was waiting till I hit 200 or so. I'm jealous you got to do that on the first day.

Did you change the back straps on yours? I have a medium hand but was shooting without any strap yesterday. I put on both the medium and large straps when I got home, and the large felt way better to me. I am looking forward to shooting that way next week.

Enjoy the new acquisition.

>>>No I kept the pistol without adding the additional back straps. It was most comfortable with my hand, but will possibly try shooting with one on next time to see if there's a difference. Also, yes after about a month long wait for the gun I was quite pleased to get out and fire all those rounds off!

congrats, dicks sporting goods from time to time will have the remingto 9mm for $11.98 if your range allow any ammo they also have blazer with alloy or steel casings(not sure) for &10.99. watch on here to cause from time to time people will sell ammo for a good price. like other guys will suggest inspect your ammo. congrats again and stay safe!

I ordered a Hoppe's cleaning kit that comes with a bore snake, #9 solvent, oil and some weather guard cloths. It looks like what i need for basic cleaning and maintenance.

I noticed the #9 solvent in this kit comes in aerosol can while most Hoppe's 9 that I see online is just a regular bottle. --this solvent should be safe to clean all over my Glock right?

I ordered a Hoppe's cleaning kit that comes with a bore snake, #9 solvent, oil and some weather guard cloths. It looks like what i need for basic cleaning and maintenance.

I noticed the #9 solvent in this kit comes in aerosol can while most Hoppe's 9 that I see online is just a regular bottle. --this solvent should be safe to clean all over my Glock right?

Hoppe's shouldn't hurt your GLOCK. Your pistol also requires very little lube. Check the owners manual.

As a certified glock armorer I can say you can use any oil, I use hoppes with no issuses. One thing I do see when I armor glocks is that way too many people use WAY to much oil. A glock barely needs oil. I put a small amount then wipe it off. Thats all it needs.I also would NOT recomend doing a full slide tear down as in the second video that is posted by Loonhead. A simple field strip is all you will every need to do. Leave a full tear down to someone who knows what they are doing. I have personally put 2000 rounds through a glock without ever doing a full tear down and have never had an issue. Just my 2 cents

I agree that a full slide disassembly is not necessary very often, but I like to do it every 1.5k rounds or so. I am not a glock armorer, but it is certainly not rocket science to take the slide apart. As long as you're careful and put everything back the way it came out, you are in good shape. It is a good way to get familiar with the internals of your gun and how it works. This is what I do, it's not the bible, so don't do anything you are not comfortable doing.