zoid

Thumbing the Hammer Back in Production

DA is the faster first shot

True, however it depends on the stage. Some you may have time to do it. Others, if it's a close range target, it's faster to shoot the first shot DA. Honestly - it comes down to your choice. For longer range first shots, sometimes I will cock the hammer so it's a SA shot.

Yep I was asking for the stages where you may start off with a far steel plate or other target. It may be worth it to thumb the hammer back rather than waste time and ammo missing. I'm pretty good with double action but only up to 15 yd or so. After that I'd feel more confident in single action.

I think what 2alpha is trying to say is, that it probably would be best if you shot the gun after you draw in DA. Cocking the hammer back could waste time and introduce something else that could go wrong.

I don't think there's anything negative to what 2alpha said as well. Ideally, it's faster to shoot DA and then SA. The only issue is the accuracy of the first DA shot. It needs to be learned through plenty of practice.

But as already mentioned in the earlier posts, if you wish to cock the hammer back for the first shot, it is allowed and may be done in competition.

Why not just say nothing if you have nothing nice to say?

I didn't know this was kindergarden and grown men would get butt hurt.

Zoid is progressing well in competition shooting, there is no need for him to handicap himself by not being able to shoot DA at any distance. Thumbing back the hammer is a crutch that will do nothing by reverse any progress he has made.....ie, he needs to learn how to shoot

I didn't know this was kindergarden and grown men would get butt hurt.

Zoid is progressing well in competition shooting, there is no need for him to handicap himself by not being able to shoot DA at any distance. Thumbing back the hammer is a crutch that will do nothing by reverse any progress he has made.....ie, he needs to learn how to shoot

My butt is rather hurt. LOL!

Nah, it's true, more practice is the key.

Did I shoot with you before 2Alpha at Old Bridge or something?

And was that so hard to type? A clear, concise statement expressing your thoughts- in which you even managed to complement him. Had that been your original repose, I would of said nothing.

Butt hurt?? ...really :icon_rolleyes:

Becoming comfortable with the DA pull is really important. I used to have the same temptation to thumb the hammer back for an initial long shot. I practiced enough with just DA shots that I'm now equally accurate, if not MORE accurate (if I take my time) than in SA. With a DA shot, if you know your gun well enough you can predict just when the shot will break and there will be no resistance like in SA, to throw your sights off.

This article was helpful to me:

http://www.craigcent...com/fearnot.htm

No sympathy from me. I've got a DA pull every time from a striker fired gun. Deal with it :p

That's totally different though from a DA on a Sig/Beretta/HK. I usually use a Glock but

have been wanting to use my other guns that are DA/SA.

That's totally different though from a DA on a Sig/Beretta/HK. I usually use a Glock but

have been wanting to use my other guns that are DA/SA.

I can't speak for an HK or Sig, but the DA pull on my Beretta was MUCH smoother. And that's only for the FIRST shot, not every shot.

I think what 2alpha is trying to say is, that it probably would be best if you shot the gun after you draw in DA. Cocking the hammer back could waste time and introduce something else that could go wrong.

This

Learn the DA and SA triggers on your firearm.

Finally used my Beretta in a practice USPSA match at Tenafly. I didn't thumb the hammer back cause I wanted

to know how well I'd do in DA. Plus the whole process is very unnatural to do.

I think I pull the DA shot low. So for 10 - 15 yd it'd be a 'C' hit. For steel plates I had to take a second shot in SA to

get the first hit. All-in-all definitely need some more practice, but it's not as bad as I thought. Overall the gun was

very accurate and great to use in a match.

True, however it depends on the stage. Some you may have time to do it. Others, if it's a close range target, it's faster to shoot the first shot DA. Honestly - it comes down to your choice. For longer range first shots, sometimes I will cock the hammer so it's a SA shot.

Yeah, but are you winning production? Are you above B? DA first shot is a skill you WILL need to progress and to win. If there are situations where the DA pull is that bad, then you probably need to reconsider your gun of choice. Just because it may not be the easiest skill to get down is no excuse for trying to skip an essential skill.

Manually cocking the hammer Fs with your grip.

F with your grip and you F with EVERYTHING.

Yeah, but are you winning production? Are you above B? DA first shot is a skill you WILL need to progress and to win. If there are situations where the DA pull is that bad, then you probably need to reconsider your gun of choice. Just because it may not be the easiest skill to get down is no excuse for trying to skip an essential skill.

Manually cocking the hammer Fs with your grip.

F with your grip and you F with EVERYTHING.

There's another +1 I can't give you Matt! Anyway, very well said!