RobertJames

Best Friends

I don't recall seeing any threads devoted to our best friends. The ones that are our hunting buddies, the ones that ride shotgun in the car, sit at your feet in front of the fire, and are always there for you unconditionally. Here's my best friend, Tally. (I didn't name her.) I wasn't looking for a dog at the time, but she found me. She started out as my Mom's show dog, finishing her championship very quickly. She was carrying her first litter of puppies, and firmly attached herself to me. Whenever I was there, she was by my side. So, I made sure that I was there to help out when she whelped the pups. She was an excellent mother and gave her pups excellent care. She had two litters of 6 each, and at least 3 of her kids have gone on to become champions, too.

When her daughter grew up and had her first litter, she and Tally began having issues, so Tally came to me.

Gave her a bath yesterday and brushed out the dead winter hair. She was not happy, to say the least. But she's still looking good for an old lady of 12.

Go ahead, post up pics of your pets.

P1000167.jpg

P1000172.jpg

P1000173.jpg

This is Maggie, my velcro dog - follows me everywhere. She is a GSP and adopted her from a family who wanted to use her to hunt. While the picture shows she has the "hunting" part down, she is gun shy, so her original owner gave her up. We were only interested in a pet and really didn't want to do the "puppy thing", so it was a match made in heaven. She has a terrific, gentle disposition, and while she is somewhat timid, she loves everyone if you approach her on her terms. She'll be five in June.

9hp4kg.jpg

Adios,

PIzza Bob

I've met Maggie . She is a gem of a dog ;)

Here is Greta , my English Mastiff. She was a bigfoot type legend in Little Egg Harbor . Then Popcorn Park in Forked River rescued her and gave her to us.

_DSC0591.jpg

And Bo our boxer hound mix. He is a good guard dog that bays :) Also adopted from Popcorn Park

_DSC0672.jpg

This is Sadie, around a year old, I got her back in December. I rescued her, originally came from Joplin, MO, then she came to NJ, got adopted out but the older woman couldn't handle her, went to a new foster family, then I got her. Shes got issues but I love her and she really is a great dog. I did a DNA test of her to try and figure out what she is but it came back negative. My best guess is Shiba Inu/Aussie Cattle Dog mix. Shes a singer, that's for sure.

378424_2444916717252_1081892054_2563288_1337886571_n.jpg

I miss my Australian Cattle Dogs. It's almost time to find another four-legged friend (or two).

Come on people, I'm pretty sure you can also train loyal cats to swim after your fallen pheasants.

You sir, would've gotten 100 +1s from me for the next 100 days if possible.

These are the only "friends" I have. And they are all the friends I'll ever need.

downsized_0321121721.jpg

Ray...if you were as friendly to a dog as you were to your shotguns, you'd have been arrested for bestiality a long time ago :p

Love you man <3

Picture heavy -

I took some pictures Good Friday when I ran my dog upstate for some exercise and to get out on some wild birds. He found a few woodcock and I got one cellphone picture of a point. He also got pretty filthy running around in the wet but got a nice warm bath when he got home per Mom's orders. My Sam turns 10 next month. He's progressed to a hunting machine on pheasant, woodcock and grouse since the Fall of 2002. He can do no wrong in my eyes.

Point on woodcock in the wet

utf-8BSU1HMDAxOTMuanBn.jpg

Filthy dog taking a breather

utf-8BL0RldmljZSBNZW1vcnkvaG9tZS91c2VyL3BpY3R1cmVzL0lNRzAwMTk3LmpwZw.jpg

Standing watch on my neighbor's yard for chipmunks (what he looks like when he's clean!)

100909-1.jpg

Watching rabbits in the backyard

Samonbunnywatch-FathersDay2011.jpg

Laying under the brush pointing a woodcock in 2009 (bird is sitting tight)

IMG_1117.jpg

Pointing a woodcock in March of 2010 (if you look where he's looking, you can see the bird on the ground, which started walking away)

IMG00892.jpg

Can a trained cat first scent, trail, point, then mark and retrieve a poorly-hit pheasant after it sails into the woods 60 yds. and disappears from sight :)

IMG_0862.jpg

My two best friends. The one on a left is hazel my boxer and the one on the right is gracie a bull mastiff. Gracie was a rescue and hazel i got from a friend of mine. Two of the best dogs i have ever had.

post-3630-0-51430200-1333976312_thumb.jpg

I see a lot of members here have hunting type dogs , and I see a lot like to rescue. Just figured I would put it out there that Popcorn Park in Forked River has a gaggle of young purebred Tennessee Walker Treeing Coonhounds .

And they have this beautiful Pointer , Dash . Video :

https://www.facebook...v=3023566903825

Bailey the Viszla. He is 13 months old and has a first class temperament and boundless energy. Viszlas are known as velcro dogs. I have never seen a more loyal and faithful dog in my life. I wish I owned a farm and could give him the limitless space he deserves. He has to make do with two trips to the beach every day. I took him out for pheasant for the second time last weekend and he is steadily improving.

Thanks Scott,

she was definitely one of a kind!

as much as I would love another purebred, I'm going rescue for my next pooch!

Dave T

GSDs are my favorite breed. Grew up with them , haven't had one for a few years now. Next two dogs I get will probably be a hunting breed and a GSD. Rescues would be my first choice . I trained 2 GSDs to Schutzhund ( 1 and 2) in my younger years , I would love for my kids to have the same opportunity.